1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online dating - could be a risk for me...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by comingdownagain, Dec 14, 2014.

1. comingdownagain

Hi all

With 2015 round the corner, I would like to try online dating again after spending a long time away from it. The main reason being is that I'm a teacher. I cannot run the risk of finding students online, especially as no one at school knows in
    Gay.

But there's a part of me saying I can't run my life according to my profession even though I love my job. I wanted to know if sites like *** will hide your profile from youngest users so you can't be found. If this isn't possible, can anyone suggest any decent LGBT sites that I could try using instead? Thanks :slight_smile:

2. RainbowMan

Unfortunately, we can't mention specific sites on here, since this forum is a safe space for anyone over the age of 13.

Generally though, I think that depending on your location, coming out might not harm your career as much as you think it might. There are plenty of LGBT teachers, some of them completely out and some not. Of course, if you're in a religious school that could fire you for simply being gay, then that's another story.

Also keep in mind that most dating sites require you to be 18, so your students (unless you're a college instructor/professor) shouldn't be finding you on any dating sites no matter what.

3. comingdownagain

Unfortunately we do have students 18 or over so there is a strong possibility at least one would find me on there. I work in a place with too many cultural differences where I would feel very, very uncomfortable coming out.

4. shinji

shinji Guest

Should I be the one to state the obvious solution here?

Best way to protect your identity is to create a new "fake" one, that closely mirrors your own identity but differs in the areas that can be used to identify you personally.

Look for websites that offer control over what information is being shared with people who are not on your "friends" list. That can pretty much guarantee your safety.

All this being said, I personally feel that dating websites should be avoided when looking for a serious relationship.

5. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ive tried online dating once but i never found anyone i could connect with (and i started to feel wierd about it anyway) so i deleted the account..just dont use your actual location or post any pics of urself till u find sumone u like then exchange pics and additional info..or u could always read their profile first then if u like them shoot them a pic of urself in a private message and go from there