1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does prayer work?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mangotree, Dec 15, 2014.

1. mangotree

Have you ever prayed for something and got it?
    If so, in what form did your answered prayer take?

2. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

"Nope" on all accords.

I don't pray. I act.

3. KingJude

I've prayed, and got nothing. In my opinion prayer does not work, however millions of people worldwide get comfort from it, and if it makes them feel better, then it can only be a good thing.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prayer works if one has a genuine conviction in it, and then only on oneself. Prayer will help people overcome internal issues if simple determination, faith and self-exploration involved in prayer are what is needed.

But prayer will not change the outside world, and God would not smite one's enemies and obstacles down, even if God did exist. Those who pray must also do; prayer can serve as a spiritual equivalent of Dutch courage, but it alone won't do much outside of one's own mind.

I have prayed for the will to help myself, and it worked.

#4 Aussie792, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  5. KingJude

You are completely correct.

6. mangotree

Well put.
    Hearing about a lot of people praying on TV tonight and all day.
    I guess there's not much else anyone (that aren't police) can do.

#6 mangotree, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Big B

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I pray regularly, but i don't really do it to "get" something. I belive in God, i consider myself Christian, but prayer for me is a way to collect my thoughts, to enhance my belief and to bring my everyday life a little closer to God.

8. White Knight

I think real prayers are not something you just carefully planned and said like a requisition order reading from a book. It comes from deep in your heart, like a silent scream. God is above all language and religions, he knows what is best for us. We may not understand at the moment but in the bigger picture of things in life it makes sense.

Did it work in the past? I'd like to think it helped the thoes people in their time of need.

I don't pray for something I need. I believe if I do my best God will lead me to the right path.

9. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Oh you, I know that I'm -that- good, no need to applaud, really. You'll just make me get all riddy.

10. Wukie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Prayed many times from the time I was a child until I left religion. I generally prayed to be shown which path I should choose, strength to overcome an obstacle, etc. What I received from prayer came within. It calmed me and gave me the self confidence to make a decision or take action when needed. There was no divine intervention in my miniscule problems, just the feeling of a safety net.

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Alot of people prayed that my cousin would survive after he got shot and he didn't and that's all i have to say about that

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I have before.

Did it work?

Mm... kind of. Several years ago, when I was about 13 or 14, I prayed for a teacher to get hurt so they'd have to leave (I had problems, I'll admit). I'd do this every day, for about a week. Well, the teacher didn't get hurt, but they were fired -- and the reason was never stated -- that week.

That's the only time I can recall praying for something specific, and it actually happening; even then, it didn't happen exactly as I wanted, even though the goal was achieved. Every other time, nothing seems to happen. However, it can be comforting, in a therapeutic way, to be able to talk to someone who 'is in absolute control of the universe'. So, I can understand why folks do it.

13. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not for me, but if it helps someone else, then good for them. :slight_smile:

14. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    From my own standpoint i've seen what i've prayed about happen. Back when i was starting to come to the fact i was gay i had this near death type dream with the whole white light. A man around light came to me and said everything will be ok. If its not your cup of tea thats ok if it is your cup of tea thats fine as well. If we all learn to respect each other and what they believe in the world would be a better place

15. Candace

I pray maybe once on a daily basis. My thinking on it is "what's there to lose?". I try acting on things myself, and I use prayer for things that might be out of reach for me and that I might need to call in a little bit extra help, if that makes sense.

I try to pray before I have dinner and before I go to bed. I want to go to sleep knowing that everyone that I care about is taken care of and that there's nothing for me to worry about. :slight_smile:

16. Rainbows~Exist

17. RadioRoss

18. Fafner

Well said! I'm not a religious person in any way, but I think prayer can take on many forms, also outside the context of religion, and I think you can get back from it what you put into it. It can work as a "reminder" or to reinforce something to yourself, which can be very powerful in its own right, but I don't believe you will ever change anything but yourself through prayer.

19. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yep, along with homeopathy and, of course, astrology *Sarcastic voice*

20. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't personally think it matters, prayer is a personal thing that works for some people as meditation, others as a means of talking something out and just sometimes people are desperate and in a bad place and all they can do is beg for help from a higher power. I generally fall into the last two, I don't really pray often but mostly when I do it's because I'm in a bad place and I need the comfort. Even if it turns out I'm just talking to air (which personally I like to think someone is listening) it still makes me feel better. Though when I was a little kid I used to pray to Santa... xD idk it's a personal spiritual thing that isn't right for everyone and there is no right or wrong reason to do it. Doesn't even matter who you pray too. (Iyah Iyah Cthulhu Fhtagn!!) I personally don't feel like it's about what you get out of it, more what it means to you...