1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do gay men see shades of color like women?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ticklish Fish, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Ticklish Fish

so i saw this picture on tumblr...

[​IMG]

and my inefficient google searches only shows me link about racism in LGBT culture or queer of color or things like that...

Does anyone know of studies or articles on if gay/queer men happen to see more shades of colors than say, most straight men? (I don't even know if sexual orientation can affect VIEWING the different and subtle shades of colors, but I am curious)

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All I know is that I suck at colour identification :lol:

3. Quiet Raven

Being gay does not give you another X chromosome... So I would have to guess no...

4. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No, they don't.

5. Hexagon

As quiet raven says, no. Cisgender gay men only have one x chromosome. I, on the other hand, have a feeling I may be a tetrachromat.

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

No considering it says you need to be XX to see shades of red. A gay trans man would be able to, but not cis guys.

7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Um yeah I call bullshit on this cause ive known the difference between red scarlet maroon vermillion etc since I was like 5

8. Bolin

I must be a woman because I can see all the different shades of that photo. Also, this.

9. Hexagon

How do you know what you (potentially) can't see?

Anyway, my understanding of the matter is that where enhanced color distinction does exist, it's because of differences in the two chromosomes, which aren't typically present. They also probably cover nuances not present in the picture, so both men and women with typical colour vision can see every shade.

10. Ticklish Fish

and then i look at this thread again and i have to ponder...
    even if women have both x chromosomes, the transcription might be different. (isn't it halved or something like not both X's are fully transcribed? genetics people come help lol)

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I don't know but I can tell you that the last time I ever took one of those color identification tests, I actually scored lower than most of the cis guys who took the quiz and I'm transgender. I know that's purely anecdotal but man, it makes me wonder whether or not I should turn in my gay card. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Hexagon

Read my last post. The difference comes about as a result of differences between the chromosomes, differences which aren't always present. Two X chromosomes give the potential for enhanced colour differentiation, but that doesn't always translate into a phenotype.

13. One Man Army

Sometimes I find the defining line between crimson and vermillion to be a little hazy.

14. 741852963

Well thats a load of bull:***:, but its posted on Tumblr so no surprise there then.

Right. On average women have slightly better colour recognition skills than men, and on average men are more likely to be colour blind.

That does not mean the majority of men are incapable of seeing more than two shades on red - if that was truly the case how on earth would we have male artists, animators, graphics designers, electricians etc etc? The world as we know it would be one horrid blur of primary colours! Hell, I can count 5 shades of yellow in the smileys on the new post page (which were probably created by men)!

Its a complete myth and likely based on a stereotype of men not wanting to be seen as knowing specific colour names (for instance, not wanting to be seen as excelling in interior design, fashion, art etc) save they be labelled as too finickity or fancy. Probably a remnant of the days when manual labour was king, careers where colour recognition is less important - so requiring this skill would mean working in an office/being more bourgeois/yuppyesque or somehow "softer".

15. Quiet Raven

Also, do they literally only mean 2 shades of of red? Because I can see a lot more then 2...

16. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

(Great, more little things to make me feel dysphoric)

17. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Color names are silly. One man's "maroon" is another man's "burgundy". All you have to do is Google the supposed names of these different shades to see the many varying interpretations of what exact colors they correspond to. Good luck differentiating between "turquoise", "aqua", and "teal" when people can't even agree on which hues they describe.

18. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is interesting.
    I'm trans* male, and I've always had extreme trouble differentiating between shades.
    Hmmm.

19. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Well I can see 16 shades of red on that image so I must have like a couple extra X's and another Y thrown in for good measure

because how does genetics work.

20. iiimee

Another thing reminding me of my "female" gender... God, I want to punch my friends! I am male, even if I can see a slight difference in colour... very very slight.