1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooking

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Does anybody here like to cook? What would you rate yourself, on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being a fire hazard and 10 being a kitchen god/goddess, when it comes to cooking?

And secondly, do you have any unique recipes or dishes, that you believe the world should know about?

I'm not a marvelous cook. I can cook, if I have to. But anything venturing into the realm of fancy, I'd prefer written/viewable directions. I can follow directions pretty well, but totally improvising, that can be a hit or miss. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give myself a 5, on average, a 7 if I'm really dedicated.

If anybody knows how to bake some bomb-ass Christmas cookies, please share! Sugar cookies are my seasonal weakness, perhaps even rivaling Chicken McNuggets! LOL.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I cook things like stirfry and pad thai. :3 I'm okay. I'd probably give myself a 6. Whatever. I eat my own food.

I used to bake cookies, but I am quite problematic at baking now.

What are your fave cookies, sis? :3

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Sugar cookies, obviously. Chocolate chip is a close second, but sugar cookies, if done right, surpass those.

4. Isa

Isa

Somewhere around 3-4... I do like cooking but my kitchen is so small that I just get frustrated and order food instead. :tears:

5. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    About the only thing that I can do is heat up food on the stove. So, I'll give myself a 2. I have improved some though, I used to catch things on fire...

7. Quiet Raven

I can make hamburgers. That is about the extent of my cooking. Well I can kinda make some pasta dishes with my brother helping and giving directions, lol. He is actually a really good cook. I helped him around the kitchen quite a bit, but on my own I am not very good.

If I were to rate... I'd say 4/10.

8. Rainbows~Exist

2 :frowning2: I guess I've never properly learnt yet...

9. shinji

shinji Guest

Does heating up frozen stuff count as cooking? If it does, then I'm a pro at this!

...and that is why I want to find a boyfriend who can actually cook for me, else I might just die of starvation.

On a slightly unrelated topic:

[YOUTUBE=TeFMtmUAFRo]Don't Boil Your iPhone 6[/YOUTUBE]

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have easily the most overinflated ego, with my 6. :]

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2014 at 12:18 PM ----------

Mmm, I haven't had the best sugar cookies then. I swear by oatmeal raisin cookies. <3

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like to cook but that doesn't mean I'm any good. I'm hopeless at cooking meat because I don't trust my own judgement.

12. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Nah, I'm going to beat you on that and give myself a 8-9 :lol: I can cook really well, actually. Give me directions to follow and I'm excellent. As for holiday cookies? I'm a sucker for haystacks or no-bake peanutbutter cookies. Or shortbread. Mainly shortbread. I made amazing lemon shortbread cookies last year.

13. Isa

Isa

Same here! Also, I don't like handling uncooked meat. I just let someone else do that. :slight_smile:

14. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've joked before that my 'Pot noodle surprise' always goes down a treat -the surprise is I put it in a bowl!

Seriously though I can cook some things. It's usually when I want something specific that I'll try my hand at it. I don't do it so much nowadays because I struggle with lifting pots and such around the kitchen.

I can bake cakes and cookies with the right ingredients and instructions. Presentation wise they don't always look so good but taste nice. I was put off baking for a long time because when I was young in school they would do a cookery lesson once a week but most of it was the teacher making us spend ages write out the whole bloody recipe.

I can do other dishes like egg fried rice and sweet+sour chicken, paprika chicken, one I think is called deviled chicken which involves frying in a mostly honey and worcester sauce marinade (makes it sweet and crispy), tandoori chicken, a mild coconut curry chicken dish of my own creation, stir-fry chicken and noodles -you'll be noticing I'm rather biased with the meat choices here lol. I could do others as well I suppose but am quite uninspired by other meats and seeing as I'm not much for this new-fangled idea about eating vegetables instead of letting them grow in the field where they belong. For a while I've been wanting do to some Italian type things with beef like lasagne or a spaghetti bolognese because I like those, but buying and storing the fresh ingredients is an ordeal without a fridge or freezer.

The last thing I made I believe was a square pepperoni pizza (to fit the baking dish as the dough wasn't behaving).

I also did a nice satay sauce on a few occasions. And I once made a lovely mousse dessert out of melted mars bars and double cream, it didn't stay a mousse for long and quickly collapsed into a beige puddle in the bowl but it still tasted brilliant as a milkshake.

I don't remember the recipes off by heart and always have to reference them.
    Owing to usually good flavour but poor presentation and lack of variety I'd say I'm probably a 6 or 7 out of 10.

15. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In all humility, I have to rate myself between 9 and 10. Yes, I like to cook.

I have the distinction in my household of being the Mistress of Drinks, Soups, Stews, Sauces and Condiments. But my full line goes from grilled meats and vegetables through Indian, Thai, Mexican, Ethiopian, Chinese, Italian, and some UK, French, Slavic and Scandinavian dishes.

I just hosted a party for my colleagues at work this past weekend, and I cooked:

Grilled Prime Rib
    Salmon-Leek Soup (this one's my own special creation *smile*)
    Tandoori Chicken
    Spicy Chickpea Masala
    Saag Paneer
    Cashew Rice
    (...and a hot layered crab dip...but that hardly qualifies as cooking)

All were rated exceptional by our guests...which is why they keep footing the bill for us to host this party. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    6-7

I love to cook and I was taught how to by my parents. I'm good at following recipes, but I don't really create any of my own. The best dishes that I make are probably wonton soup and red beans and rice. :slight_smile: Unfortunately there are a lot of foods I don't like (I'm a bit of a picky eater), so cooking for other people might be a bit of a problem if I'm going to make food that I won't be interested in eating myself. Generally I cook for myself, but I have cooked for my house (with my roommates) and everyone always likes what I make :slight_smile:

Compared to my roommates, I'm a 5-star chef. Most of them can't even cook a frozen entree :wink:

17. White Knight

I would like to say something above 5 as I can cook most of Turkish meals with little effort. Got my musings from time to time which result some of our most enjoyable meals.

Then thinking the ones who should classify as 10 like Lorraine, Jamie and Rudolph even 5 seems like over exaggerating. Those talented people teach me cooking is art of its own, so you can't call everyone who can hold a spoon an artist.

On a side note, there should be a law that forbiding being that good looking and talented. Lorraine one of the most charming, elegant and hottest woman I've ever seen... even she could challenge Kylie's throne in my heart but first come first served.
    No words for Jamie... just know I wish I could be a dough sometimes. :grin:

18. Candace

4-5. I can make some food and not burn down the house, but don't expect that Chef Ramsey and Giada De Laurentiis are your hosts for this evening :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :lol:

19. Burnedcloset

I like baking cookies, brownies, and cakes. I also make candy apples.

I've been told that those candy apples re the best they ever had. They were really good.

I guess I would consider myself a 4.5