1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Vapes Be Allowed on Public Transit (or everywhere?)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drwinchester, Dec 16, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So I'm asking because of something I saw on Facebook. Friend of mine, who I know from school, has been complaining about how our city's transit system no longer allows people to use Vapes on the buses.

He's now organizing a campaign in order to protest the ordinance. "It's discriminatory! How dare they make us stand out in the rain with the cigarette smokers in designated smoking areas! We should be able to use Vapes on buses!"

I mean, is it the same thing as smoking cigarettes? Should Vapes be allowed on buses? I don't really know what to think, honestly. I mean, I'm a marijuana user. But despite supposed medical benefits, I wouldn't smoke marijuana on a bus even if public marijuana use was legal. It's not courteous for the people around me. And you sure as hell can't drink alcohol on a bus.

But he raised a valid point. "I'm trying to quit smoking. I don't want to be around cigarette smokers because that would make it difficult for me and other people who struggle with a nicotine addiction."

I sympathesize with the last point, honestly. I've had family members who smoked. Hell, my partner smokes and he's been trying to quit on and off for years. I know how hard it is.

But I don't believe Vapes should be smoked on buses. Why not consider people with asthma or allergies? What about children?

What's your take on this?

2. Maeve

Vaping smells. Granted, I'm fairly sensitive, but it can get intense especially in an enclosed space. Also, the smoke from e-cigs DOES contain harmful chemicals. It's not as bad as regular cigarettes, but it's not good.

Study: Second-hand smoke from e-cigarettes contains toxic metals | Fox News
    E-Cigs and Second-Hand Vaping | Bill Chameides
    Smoke from E-Cigs Still Poses Some Second-Hand Risk | TIME.com

So no, vaping should not be allowed on buses, in schools, cafes, or other public places.

3. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, vaping should be allowed in private places. It sucks when I can not vape in a restaurant. Yes, they have chemicals but the real danger of getting second hand smoke from vape is virtually non existant. It is very unlikely. Not nearly as bad as tobacco smoke. It is unfair! And I don't think it affects people with asthma. I could be wrong on this last point.

4. Gabby29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What gets me is not the amount of smoke people blow but the amount of money. A friend of mine bought a 2 piece gold set for $200..... I mean geeeez

5. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah you can spend a lot of money on vapes. And the ones that produce big clouds can be annoying... so that might be a big reason for all the bands. But the small ones are actually cheaper than cigs. I bought a kit for $30. And I usually buy vape juice and coils every two weeks. And I only spend $12 for three juices and $10 for a pack of coils every 2 weeks. So I'm not out that much money.

6. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ehhhh. I know someone ridiculously sensitive to smells due to allergies, and vapes in an enclosed space give her migraines. But so does cologne, so that's not really a sticking point. But I'm going to say no, they shouldn't be allowed.

'Increased levels of toxic metals' in e-cigarette secondhand smoke - Medical News Today

For anyone that doesn't want to click through,

So, sorry smokers, nope. This isn't your safe alternative.

#6 DawnM, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  7. mangotree

I'm of the unpopular opinion that e-cigs/e-hookahs should be banned from the same areas that regular cigarettes are banned.
    To me, it's not about the smell or the chemicals.
    Some of them look very similar to regular cigarettes, and staff in bars, on public transport etc.. have enough to do without worrying about whether someone is smoking an electric or a real cigarette.

Also, for people who choose to quit without e-cigarettes, they find it difficult to be around people who are performing that "smoking movement". Especially in a confined space.
    Often smokers are just as addicted to the movement of smoking as they are to the nicotine.

I'm totally fine with smoking in general though, as long as people can get away from it if they don't like it.

8. howsit

howsit Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'll come out and say it: I'm a giant pothead.

That said, no, vaping should not be allowed in public spaces. Good chron danks hardcore, and vapourizers are not carcinogen-free. Your friend is not considering anybody else--from those who have asthma or young children to those travelling to a job interview.

It's also straight up pathetic. How long could the commute possibly be? 90 minutes? You can't even make the argument in that period of time that he would require it medicinally.

I'm a big fan of the social contract. You should not do something in public that somebody else cannot remove themselves from comfortably. If you're riding a bus and having a vape session, you're a juvenile, delinquent fuck regardless of what the law says.

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd also say it should not be allowed. It really seems similar to smoking to me.

10. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally find vaping in confined public spaces to be rude.

Simply put, I'd rather not be breathing in other people's second hand vapor. If I'm smoking/vaping something, I'd rather it be my choice, not chance.

11. Maeve

I posted 3 links on how 2nd hand smoke from vaping is harmful. Keep your toxins away from me, thanks.

12. BloodFlame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hate to say it but no, I don't think so. I haven noticed that vaping has become quite popular but I still do think they should remain outdoors unless the facility is okay with it.

13. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, it's called common courtesy. People shouldn't be subject to second hand smoke just because they have to ride the bus. People can wait until they get outside to smoke.

14. kem

kem

I vape, but I don't think it should okay for use in buses, restaurants and the like. Bars, sure. Designated vaping lounges? Sure. I wouldn't use my e-cig in a classroom or, if I worked, in an office. Then again, I am using it to reduce regular smoke us and quit altogether. I'm lowering the nicotine dose until it's zero and then I'll wean myself off the habit.

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2014 at 04:22 PM ----------

But also, this:
    "The metal particles likely come from the cartridge of the e-cigarette devices themselves - which opens up the possibility that better manufacturing standards for the devices could reduce the quantity of metals in the smoke. Studies of this kind are necessary for implementing effective regulatory measures."

#14 kem, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  15. DMark69

I think vaping, e-cigs, e-hookas, pot cigaretts and any other similar drug ingested by smoking or vaping (yes they are ALL drugs) should be banned anywhere tobacco cigarettes are banned.

16. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Hmm whilst I see the point about not being lumbered in with smokers whilst trying to quit.. many people in a public environment may not take kindly to vaping. It's a public area if you choose to vape or even if your trying to kick the habit by vaping - that is not everyone else's problem/issue and they should not have to be subjected to it. Not even in bars - get your ass outside and show some courtesy for others.

If you want to vape go outside - you don't need to hang with the smokers.

17. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    True. My point was that currently, they aren't safer. And good luck with yours :slight_smile: Can I ask, why vape instead of nicorette?

18. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fox News and Time aren't really reliable sources. Idk what your other source is. I'll have to check out the credibility. Whoever posted the link to medical news... that sounds possibly credible. So I'll check that out. I could do some more research on newer studies, that is true. As long as they are credible sources, though. But even if there is a chance of getting second hand smoke (it is vapor anyway, not smoke, but second hand vapor....) it is still a lot less than getting second hand smoke from cigs. I'm not saying, no way, you can't breath in any chemicals ever... and I'll do more research to see if this has changed. But it is less of a threat than cigs. But you do have a valid point, if you don't want to be around vape, you shouldn't have to be.... But sorry to say, I'll keep vaping in restaurants that do allow it. I don't make a fuss if they don't allow it. I just really don't see much of an argument against them though. Again, I only believe reliable sources.

19. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend vapes in the car with me all the time; I end up breathing in a lot of it. It definitely can create a lot of odor and second-hand "vapor" in the air. That is just in the car with the two of us. In a crowded mass transit situation, no way, I would never agree to that. People can leave their drugs until after they get off. That's why long bus and train rides and such sometimes have smoking breaks--it should be confined to that. It's bad enough having to smell other people on the bus (I sat next to a guy on the train who had just come back from lacrosse practice and had to smell his BO for 2 hours), inhaling smoke/vapor is taking it too far.