1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting sick of being ask why am I single.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EM68, Oct 16, 2008.

1. EM68

I started a new job about 2 weeks ago. With this job I am on the road with coworkers going out to clients. While in the car we have some small talk to kill the time. I am 40 and never been married. I keep on getting asked your 40 and never been married? or still single? I have said that I have not found the right person yet or I am right now just concentrating on my career. Frankly I am getting sick of these questions.

Since it is a new job I do not know them all that well so I do not want to come out to them yet. In addition, I am a 1099 (independent contractor) employee. So I do not want to risk not having my contract renewed after 90 days. Am I being too sensitive? What so you guys think? I know this is a bit of a rant. :bang:

2. I've never really been asked, but I'd just be like why does it matter so much to you guys? There's no time limit to when you need to be with someone by.

3. epiphanies

I get asked all the time while I'm single too. Of course, there's a gap from 20 to 40, but still. I know it can be frustrating. I feel I get a lil sensitive about it sometimes, but try not to let it bother you so much. People are just making small talk. Small talk makes for small minds.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can always turn the tables. That'll get the heat off you. "Why so interested? Are you asking me out? Aren't you married?" That'll turn it into a big "ha ha" moment, and the topic should move along.

Lex

5. BlasttheCloset

EM68, you are being anything but too sensitive, you are being smart about needing a job in 90 days and knowing that discrimination exists. So just keep doing what you have been doing and you can let them know later if you want to, but just try not to let it get to you right now.

6. Myke

Myke Guest

I can related to that, of course its frustrating.
    At work, every time a girl friend comes in to say hi, my co-workers are like "ooo, is that your girlfriend?" and I just roll my eyes and say no, but they keep nagging me on it, its VERY annoying. Sometimes i just wanna go "NO, I'M GAY, I LIKE MEN!!" but I want to keep my work and personal life separate.

7. ok455

Oh that question is really annoying i get asked that all the time especially by my cousins i dont know why my sex/love life is so important to them i just lie and tell them im against sex and dating