What do you think of the word "bent"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sepulse, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

As slang a word for gay or not straight. I think it sounds better than queer.

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It makes me think of a bent piece of metal, molecular geometry, and other things that have little or nothing to do with homosexuality, so I would just use "gay".

3. White Knight

What? That sound like a sexual position.

Hey I am a dirty old man with even dirtier old mind. :badgrin:

Seriously...

I should understand what you are meaning. Is that "bent" another word people use for slang or are you suggesting it for using it instead of "queer" or "gay".

Anyway wheter we like it or not "gay" become flagship for anything non straight. Gay marriage, gay agenda, gay people etc.

However I sometimes really worry how much it cover BT part of LGBT. For people in here(in Turkey) a transwoman interested in women is very strange concept. For them men turn into women because they are super gay... gayest or every gay is like that. Yeah yeah I live in a sh*thole. But hey its home. :icon_sad:

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only ever heard it used in a homophobic/abusive manner.

5. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

In the context of a guy, I would assume you are talking about the shape of his dick and make no further comments while silently judging you.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even more than queer, it sounds like it maliciously means "corrupted" to me.

I would not let anyone use it on me.

7. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What comes to mind is the phrase "get bent" which sounds a bit rape-y for me. I think queer has or is becoming a term that has been 'reclaimed' by the LGBTQI+ community, so I like it better.

8. White Knight

You know what, after joining this site, I also started to get kinda annoyed with all that LGBTadd whatever thing.

Seeing all those people suffering for fitting under a label, like they would be nothing without one pains me. You like whomever you like, no need to labeling yourself like canned goods.

I get their point/need in being belong to something. Feeling lost is worst feeling ever.

So I kinda dubious if those titling helping them or further hurt their self esteem... which is commonly very low in our society.

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The only way I've heard it used was as, "Get bent", ie, piss off, get lost, f*ck yourself. Otherwise, it sounds like it implies there's something wrong - the opposite of straight, and not just sexually. None too flattering, if you ask me.

10. NotSureWhatIam

As far as this I agree with this poster.

I would take it a step further by saying bent is an unnatural state of something so I don't like that either.

I also don't llike queer, it's a term that still offends me. But far be it from me to sstop someone identifying as queer. Just don't call me queer because that is a widely derogatory term for gay men.

It bothers me that were adding on all of this stuff to the LGBT acronym. To me LGBT is all inclusive, it's about love and community, it's not about fitting on to an acronym. Though I understand that if I identified as Q I would feel left out. But regardless of the acronym be it LGBT or M*A*S*H, were all one family and that'd what's important (&&&)

11. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

It makes me think of my cock.
    As it has a slight upwards bent to it.

:grin:

As a word for describing sexuality and/or orientation? Nah.

12. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

this thing

13. Articuno92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In Australia, 'bent' has a different kind of connotation. It's a slang word used to describe people who are...a bit crazy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Queer means weird or strange, so not sure how bent really could have a worse connotation than that... I don't think bent is too bad; it's the opposite of straight, so it's just a pun. I think it's funny in the right situation.

But otherwise it just sounds a little awkward and there's no real need for it in serious situations.

15. lemons123

i think bend it like beckham?

16. Acm

Acm Guest

I thought bent was only used to mean gay in britain, at least that's the only place I've heard it used. Either way it usually seems like it's used in a mean way so I don't like it I guess.

17. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What does the word 'bent' make me think of? iPhone 6 Plus. My small circle of friends that i have don't use that word. I think if you're talking about slang for homosexual, then people use faggot more often. My anglo-saxon friends from the eastern side of the Atlantic also like to use 'camp'.

I've just never seen 'bent' as a popular slang word for gay.

18. Emmanuella

To me, it sounds like a slang term for someone suffering from *severe* mental challenges (schizophrenia etc..)

... I don't know.

How about *curved*? --> "I'm not straight. I'm a little curved." Or then again, maybe not. :shrug:

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always heard the word "bent" as playful slang for [the albeit mythical quality of] "someone who was straight, but was 'turned gay', generally by a specific person". It certainly suggests something that is not in its original form, which I don't find accurate with respect to homosexuality...certainly not with respect to bisexuality.

Queer, by contrast, suggests (to me) just "different in nature"...that seems (to me) an apt descriptor for the entire LGBT+ rainbow.

20. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think of something very dirty.... as in bent over on him >_<