1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reaction to Popular

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by White Knight, Dec 17, 2014.

1. White Knight

First of all I have to admit I am very guilty of this. I've been very against towards what was in "trend" or popular... in music, fashion, movies or games... even popular kids in school.

There are several things people seem to hate without any logic... like World of Warcraft, like Justin Beiber, like Lady Gaga.

Why do we act like it? Searching uniqueness by opposing the most acceptable? People are stupid and only we are the sane and clever ones?

So what is your situation on the matter.

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just like whatever I think is high quality stuff, so my interests are usually a mix of obscure, popular, and in-between. I can't say I ever liked Bieber, though.

3. Yosia

Everything i don't like has reason, such as I don't like Justin Bieber, as he is ab untalented scumbag.

4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I try to judge stuff based on the content and my own opinions. Though the popular opinion tends to be the one I care about the least, I do feel that disliking something just because it's popular is poor reasoning, same as liking something just for being popular is. That said, I am fairly guilty of at least taking a skeptical attitude toward movies, music, etc that have a large amount of popularity and hype around them. In the end it just comes down to whether you feel the popularity is deserved, acceptable, overrated, or downright undeserved. My thought's on big pop culture stuff usually fall around the middle of that scale but, there can always be exceptions

5. shinji

shinji Guest

People are indeed stupid, myself included. Because as people we have emotions and as hard as we try we can never completely repress them, which in turn makes us do stupid things that we don't even bother thinking through.

People are also unique, all of them... But, most chose to "act" a certain way so as to fit in within the norm, of what is acceptable. Those people, I personally tend to avoid as I feel they are not worth my time. Would you want to hang out with someone who is so insecure with themselves that they chose to hide who they are, their entirety behind a mask, simply fearing that they will be ostracized?

World of Warcraft is a great concept but has been plagued by Blizzard's attempts to monetize everything there is about it. Selling services was acceptable, but selling vanity items and allowing said items to freely be traded, ruined the economy and therefore one of the major foundations of the game itself. For a RPG, it has a really short life expectancy on progression. Most people think like this but fail at arguing their point, hence why the popular myth that it's easy to just hate on the game.

Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are too influential to the young generation, to allow them to just do anything that they please, yet we do allow them because scandal generates views which in turn generates revenue. For me personally, the idea that both of them must parade themselves on stage like this, makes me simply not respect them as singers. They are not singers/musicians/artists, they are simply public figures that have forsaken what they love for monetary gain and fame.

Whether something is popular at any given moment, should not influence your reaction towards it, whether you like something or don't. Why would it matter how many other people like it? It's as if people are incapable of forming their own opinions, like they must be told what is interesting and what is not. I personally blame the media, but people themselves are guilty as well, for being so gullible and simply put, stupid.

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tend to have my favourite kind of things and stick with them. Staying true to who I am is important. I don't really like popular things, but if I like a song or product nobody is gonna stop me :lol: