1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wingmen: The Heaven-sent & the Fallen

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by redghost, Dec 17, 2014.

1. redghost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That title should be pretentious and intriguing enough. So I wanted to know if any of you have ever had a wingman hook you up with someone (or try to), and what were your best and worst cases? This should be funny. :eusa_danc

2. Gabby29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm usually the wingman. I guess I'm good at helping people mingle with others but every time I introduce anyone to any of my friends my friend(s) always tend to screw it up and most of the time its cause they have no game yet I get the blame for it lol

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I've done the wing-person routine before; and I do it fuckin' marvelously.

See, I can go up to about anybody, if I have nothing to gain from it. Since I'm assigned to 'bring over this girl/guy', and nothing else, I can work exceptionally. It really helps that the individuals I've played wing-person to were, how to put this, not very good at socializing. This actually works in my favor, because I'll play any role I need to, and just by the person I'm winging for being around me, other people become intrigued how this socially awkward/quiet/unintelligent individual is accepted by however I'm portraying.

A somewhat recent example went down like this:

We'll call the fellow I'm winging for Pilot.

Pilot was eying a young lady from across the room, and he really wanted her to come over and talk to him. After a few moments of thinking, I got up and walked right to her, where I flat out said: "See my friend over there? He thinks you're really pretty, but I told him you were okay."

Obviously, this is going to get a semi-hostile response, with a sort of semi-smirk. But be friendly and playful about it, so they know, you aren't being too serious, so you must be a fun one.

I respond with:
    "You'll have to forgive me, because I have horrible taste. However, I was blessed with the confidence, not the good taste like my friend over there."

This triggers laughter, and when somebody laughs, you can take the conversation however you want. Laughter, I've noticed, is the lowered drawbridge to a person's self; well, if it isn't psychotic or pseudo-laughter. You get the point, I'm sure!

Three things when being a wing-person, to keep in mind:

One, know your environment. If you're at a casual get-together, the rules are going to be a lot different. You have to be more personal, since it is a casual get-together. If you're at a party, you have a little more leeway, because, most likely, alcohol is going to be involved. If you can know your surroundings, you can build your approach and persona to best thrive in such places.

Two, know what the person you are winging for is like. If they aren't very funny, make others laugh, so that even if they suck at jokes, they still appear to be potentially funny for hanging around you, the wing-person, who is being funny, for example. Be interesting and friendly, two other traits that look fan-fuckin'-tastic by association. However, don't be the crutch, place emphasis on the strong aspects of the person you wing for, too. Do this enough, and just right, they'll become more comfortable and, hopefully, have the fortitude to seal the deal. Once both parties -- who you're winging for, and their aspired partner -- become comfortable, a bond can start to form.

Three, know when to leave. This goes two ways; when the individual you're trying to pull over isn't into it, leave. Sometimes, by actually being considerate, you may run into them later on, and succeed with getting to know them. Often times, if you can draw enough people to you, thus look interesting and non-threatening, people will warm up to you and come over. But not always, and you should know when to cut your losses. This also includes helping out the one you're winging for, too. Once you've sold their strengths, and made both parties comfortable, begin making your departure. It's time for them to seal the deal, not you.

I should just write a self-help book, LOL.

#3 Kaiser, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  4. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I never understood the need for and concept of this whole "wingmen" thing.

It's really not my cuppa, seems inherently and deeply flawed.

I'd rather not get involved in it in any way.
    I don't need it, and I don't feel -anybody- does.

5. Candace

I'm usually a wingman for my guy friends. If not that, I usually just give them pointers on girls and stuff and what they should do in order to get a girl successfully. I'd be happy to be their wingman if we were in a bar together or something, but I like it more so when they're making the effort and I'm just providing tidbits and stuff that they could do. It's not my responsibility to get them a girlfriend :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: