1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Do You Sit?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Pretty straight forward.

Basically, where do you sit? Do you have a preferred place, when, say, you're in school, in a waiting room, or with company?

Personally, I have particular areas that I sit:

In school, I always sit in the back corner, because I don't like anybody being behind me, and I only have to focus on one side, since the wall is next to me. Also, I can survey the entire area better in the back, which allows me to get a better 'feel' for the classroom and it's inhabitants.

With company, I always sit to the side, closest to the door if possible (or an alternate accessible way of leaving, like the back door, another room, or hallway, etc.), because I, again, don't like anybody behind behind me, I like to be able to survey the entire area, and I like having a way of leaving, in the event things become uncomfortable, too much, or something problematic is brewing. I prefer being able to analyze the whole area, basically.

When I'm at, say, some group function, like eating out, I will always sit on the end/corner of the table. I like having the comfort of knowing, if necessary, I can move out of the way or get up. If possible, I sit sideways to the window, so that I can 'see' as much of the entire area as possible, and any reflections cast on the window, as well as what may be outside the window. Again, it's my observing-and-analyzing tendencies, and slight paranoia, at work, that influences such behavior.

When I'm in a waiting room, I always sit the closest to the door-that-leads-back-to-the-professional's-office, which usually grants me a fine view of the entire waiting room, the secretary/receptionist's window, as well as the entry way. The bonus to sitting next to the door that leads into the back is, I'm never visible when a nurse or aide comes out, which means I'm most likely not visible to anybody else who, might, come through that door, because it is just-behind anybody emerging. Silly, yes, but it makes me feel secure.

Needless to say, I like to observe my surroundings, and put a bit of work into allowing myself to be able to do so.

2. Candace

I like to sit towards the front but not in the front row. This is because I can listen to what the professor is saying, yet be sure that I won't get called on :grin:

3. RadioRoss

At school, I move around. Depends on how I'm feeling that day. If i'm sad or angry or shy, i usually sit in the back. If I'm feeling happy or confident, I sit in the front. I've noticed that the seating position can sometimes affect how often I raise my hand and try to answer questions.
    When I'm eating at a restaurant or at a family's house, I try to stay as hidden as possible, usually next to my mom and the few family members I actually like. This usually means I'm near the corner of the table and hunched over, although, I always have awful posture.

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In school I prefer to sit on the side towards the back. Surrounded by desks I feel uncomfortable.

Wherever I am I prefer not to have people all around me. I need to have some open space, in case I need to escape/leave.

In restaurants I prefer to sit near a wall. In a bed I like to lay/sit on whichever side is nearer to a wall. In some situations, open space can be uncomfortable, and I'll like to have a person or object near to me. So I guess that depends on where I am.

5. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In class I sit at the front preferably with a friend if we are in a really big class (60) but if we are in a smaller class I tend to sit in the middle or where ever friends are, in maths I sit at the back towards the door.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In school, I preferred to sit at the back so the teachers couldn't see me as well, or what I was doing.

In uni, I usually seat somewhere closer to the front. I don't want to be called on, but shit is serious now.

Elsewhere - I don't particularly care.

7. Brenndo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In classes, I either sit in the center of the second row or the side of the first row.

In waiting rooms I sit wherever it makes it convenient for other people to sit down too (without the awkwardness of having to sit next to a stranger unnecessarily).

Tables - ends

Movie theaters - first row of the second section. Only because I like to put my feet up on the metal bars... :slight_smile: [unsure if that makes any sense to anyone...]

Generally I'm reasonable about sitting somewhere.

Interesting question... I've never thought of this before.

8. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Like you I prefer to be near an exit and by a corner/wall where possible. When I'm at my friend's house I'm a little more relaxed about it but prefer the seat on her sofa which is close to the door and also the window so I can see if anyone is coming up the path, and for more daydreamy reasons like looking out at the sky, birds, local cats etc. When in more company I my main focus is on being able to get up and leave without having to step over anyone's feet or move past them.

In restaurants I like to sit by the wall or corner, the exception being if this means being 'closed in'. I don't like being in the center of the room with all the people moving about.

On public transport like buses I like sitting by the window but if it's crowded, or likely to get crowded before my stop, then I'll take a seat closer to the aisle. When I was little I always sat at the back but nowadays I pick a seat close to the exit, mainly for mobility reasons. Train seating is a bit of a nightmare for me. They are often crowded and the seats really hurt my back which, on a train journey especially, is a problem. If the carriage has them I will try to find a single seat with the fold down arms, a bonus is that these are often near the toilet and exits. On a couple of occasions I've had to actually sit on the floor by the doors, which although not too comfortable has resulted in some interesting conversations with toddlers. Mums with buggies (strollers) sometimes have to stay by the doors also, so their young children will be bored and start talking to me. They seem quite fascinated by my walking stick probably because I've jazzed it up with black ribbon, sparkly red spiral stickers and a plastic purple 'gem' at the top so of course kids notice those things.

In waiting rooms I try to sit near the toilet as I will usually arrive early and use the toilet about 5-10 minutes before I'm due to be called (even if I don't really need to go), so that I'm not likely to have that on my mind when I get called in.

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I want the damn window seat. Otherwise, if I don't have the option of getting the window, anywhere's fine. As long as I'm not stuck in the way back of the room/bus/plane/etc.

I like sitting somewhere in one of the middle rows, close to the end of the row, when I'm in a movie theater.

If I'm in a group, I wanna be in the middle. I have trouble hearing so the closer I am to the center of the action, the better. In fact, I'll usually sit near the leader of the group, if there is one, so I know what the hell's going on.

10. FlamingPenguin

I prefer to sit in this area as well. Its much more comfortable than the other seats and it seems to have more leg room. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2014 at 09:13 PM ----------

Other than that I like to sit a little but away from people or on an outside edge so that I can see everything that's going on around me. Not in a creepy way just in an I want to know my surroundings kind of way.

11. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In class, I tend to sit in the middle-back. There are some classes where I like to volunteer my answers, and being in the back means I might be ignored. However, I don't want to be in the front because that's where the kiss-asses sit :wink: And plus I don't want people staring at my laptop screen.

Other places: trains, waiting rooms...I just sit in an available seat. If there's one next to an empty seat, I tend to go for that first.

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The one next to a hot guy...lol.

But it depends where I am... If I am on a plane, I like the window seat because I don't like the idea of weird people brushing up against me.

In jr. high classes, I always sat near the back if given the choice because of my anxiety and getting bullied.

Movie theatre-I like being near the aisle down in front so I can get up and use the bathroom without disturbing people.

In college, if I liked the class or prof., I would sit near the front. If I hated the class or prof., I would sit near the back. If I was indifferent, I would be in the middle towards the side by the door.

Restaurant-Sit where it is clean or wherever.

13. mangotree

When at the theatre, movies, in a classroom etc... I always try to sit behind everyone else. Mainly because I'm tall and broad and don't want to block other people's view.

I prefer the window seat when flying so that the trollies don't hit my shoulder/elbow on the way past all the time (in economy class, my shoulders are always wider than the seats).

If I'm on a train or bus, I prefer to sit facing forward, next to a window with no one sitting next to me and ideally one with lots of leg room.

In a restaurant, preferrably up against a wall or window somewhere (a booth if they have one) - certainly not in the middle of the room. And usually outside if there's a choice.

14. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I take classes, I usually sit near the back. However, this is the worse place to sit if you're really shy and get anxious during class introductions. Everyone looks at you when your turn comes.

At the movies, it really depends. If the theater is small, then I always sit near the back and usually, in the middle row. If the theater is big, and I'm with family, we usually sit in the front. In NYC theaters, I always sit in the back. etc.

At a restaurant, I suppose I prefer the back. The back is usually quieter, more private, and I don't feel as on display. Then again, there was this vintage diner in NYC called, The Stardust Diner, and I absolutely hated the trek to the back because, everyone would stare at you as you by.

At a play/musical, I absolutely HATE sitting on the uppermost level (What is it called?). I know its probably really silly but, I always worry that the level will collapse while I'm sitting up there (sitting directly underneath tends to make me nervous too). The view can also suck. I like sitting on the main level, preferably, in the center. The view tends to get a little skewed when you sit at an angle. I don't like sitting close to the stage, because it's usually the loudest there.

15. White Knight

Anywere I can put my bum on is okay.

Tho unless I have to sit I prefer to stand and/or pace.

16. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was still in school, I preferred to sit right at the back of the classroom, preferably in a corner. I just somehow felt "safer" with nobody sitting behind me. The one class where I was seated to the front, someone spat in my hair! So, yeah. Back row, corner.

Whenever I go to a restaurant, I also prefer to sit somewhere in a corner, or at least with my back to a wall. Just feel safer and more comfortable that way.

17. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In school/college, I almost always sat at the front of the class because I was often the teacher's pet. That doesn't mean I constantly pestered my teachers. I knew they were only human. I'm no genius. I just completed my homework and tried my best... very quietly. I don't think I was called on that much more than other students. Our teachers pretty much asked everyone questions.

Nowadays I sit wherever the hell I want. Preferably close to people that I know. I'm usually not terribly aware of my surroundings, but I notice useful objects. The floor and the walls also count as weapons. Sometimes I don't realise the danger I'm in. I've unnerved people without meaning to. It might get me killed one day. But I could black out and get killed anyway.

18. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I really don't care.

19. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go along with this :thumbsup:

20. Blossom85

I always sit on one side of the table at the lunch room at work.