1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paper or Plastic

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Candace, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Candace

When you go to the supermarket, do you usually get paper bags or plastic bags? Why do you choose to get one material over the other. Explain your reasoning, as I'm interested to hear about it.

My mom usually gets paper bags. They're better for the environment and we can use them as lawn bags when we mow our lawn in the summer.

My dad usually gets plastic bags, which usually causes me to just recycle those bags. He or I may use them as lunch sacks when either of go to work.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Basically everywhere here you either bring one of your reusable bags or they charge 5 cents for plastic ones.

3. Ruthven

my mum always gets plastic bags

we save them for mainly for cleanin the litter boxes.

4. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Here in the UK you don't really get the paper or plastic option. Some places do paper bags only, but most will do plastic only. Supermarkets also have the option to purchase a 'bag for life' which is larger and stronger so that you can reuse it. I always get plastic bags even though I have a bag for life because we need them in the house. They get used to store fresh food and also to wrap food waste before putting it in the main black bin bag. This is especially important now that there are infrequent rubbish collections because A: food rots and smell, and B: it has resulted in a real rat problem in our local area, literally every time I go outside I will see a couple of them happily frollicking about and squeaking to each other. So we need to not only double-bag our black bins but also bag the food inside.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

We usually bring our own reusable bags, but if we forget we get paper. I think most places here either don't have plastic/charge for plastic.

6. Jethro702

As a bagger myself!!!! lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I prefer plastic :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I always take them back to the store to recycle them, cause paper bags are so cumbersome and odd to carry. Though I do like personal bags, not bagging them lol, but how much they can hold and they are easy to carry too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. deadman1204

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Paper.
    Its recyclable

8. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I like paper bags. They're better for the environment, they don't break as easily, and I find that they are more reusable than plastic bags.

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I use paper bags for most of the groceries. We'll later use these to collect the recycling. We'll always use plastic for meat- these my family has always used as garbage bags or litter box liners.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Plastic, because we always reuse them many times over.

11. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Plastic bags have been outlawed in some areas of California and they encourage you to bring your own bags.

Here at home, I still get plastic bags most of the time since I use them for other things. Paper bags I usually just recycle.

12. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We don't get paper bags in the UK so we have to use plastic

13. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    At the store I shop at, they automatically give you paper bags. You get no option. Like most stores, they sell reusable bags but, they are rather expensive. :/

14. AlamoCity

At some stores, I get paper, especially the gourmet/higher-end/natural food stores. Sometimes I get plastic because I use them as trash can liners for my room or for shredding the mountains of mail we get.

15. White Knight

Having options must be nice.

We always use plastic as it is the only one you can have unless you carry your own bag with you.

Amount of plastic used in this country is disturbingly concerning.

16. shinji

shinji Guest

Plastic because we occasionally reuse them and they are quite cheaper than paper. I'm not sophisticated enough to go around with a paper bag.

17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try my hardest to remember reusable bags when I go grocery shopping. I keep them in my trunk, but sometimes I forget. Typically they give you plastic bags if you don't request paper so that's what I end up with. We reuse them though to dispose of the cat crap!

On this topic... I can't stand those baggers who put ~2 items in each bag... LOAD THEM UP (reasonably)... save our environment.

---------- Post added 18th Dec 2014 at 12:53 AM ----------

Haha, I always feel like we catch the bagger off guard when we bring reusable bags... they kinda just cram everything in there! Eggs underneath a cantaloupe? Sure why not!

18. tscott

My re-usable store totes. Plastic occasionally for picking up after the dog and paper when I need to line the garbage basket.

19. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually bring my own reusable bags. In the event I forget I generally get plastic--unless the store's paper bags have handles, then I go paper. I love those paper bags with handles!

20. Jethro702

Gah! Eggs underneath cantaloupe! *shudders* lol I think I do a good job at bagging... though I went to Publix yesterday and the bagger was an idiot... lol He put 3 rather big jars of pasta sauce and one 46oz grape juice in 1 bag and then crammed my chips in there too! Then a gallon of tea and another thing of grape juice in another bag and the last bag had only 2 boxes of macaroni in it.... ugh.... he made it maybe 6 inches from the counter before both bags broke and he had to clean up a huge mess and go re-shop for my groceries....