1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems skinny guys face in life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MouseKeeper, Dec 17, 2014.

1. MouseKeeper

Hey guys. I've been a vegan since February of 2013 and I'm starting to become thin. My waist line went from 42" to 39" and it's pretty noticeable if you were to know me. I can now stretch my arms and my shirts, that is, the ones that now fit and aren't too small, they tend to lift high enough to the point where the bottom of my stomach shows. It makes me feel rather self conscious really, when other people are in the room.

What are some other problems a skinny guy can face?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My skinny jeans are baggy.

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'm never going to be thin. But my partner, who's thin and relatively short (he's my height), has always, since he was a kid, had problems putting on weight. He also has a hard time finding clothes that fit right. Me, I can pretty much throw on anything that's around my size. Clothes just aren't cut for his frame sometimes. (He still has a significant portion of his wardrobe from high school as a matter of fact).

4. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely frustrating. Jeans and shorts look great on the mannequin, then I realize the mannequin is more bulky than me and the clothes feel baggy when I try them on -_-

Anyway, things I've encountered being skinny:

1) People assume I'm physically weak. I'm not a body-builder, but I have a lot of endurance power.
    2) People sometimes accuse me of not eating enough (I do--I just don't gain any weight)
    3) My parents always bug me about being "too skinny".
    4) As above, not easy to find good-fitting clothes sometimes. I fit easily into some kids' sizes, but I don't want the childish designs that they often have. I wear XS and S when I can find it, but many times I find brands don't have XS and S can be a bit big.

I probably sound like one of those people who complains about being too rich and famous. But these are just the issues that I've come across. I'm not saying they're big issues.

5. Kinyayo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I always felt a little bit self conscious around other guys mostly just because they are bigger and physically stronger than me. It was more severe last year when my weight was 25 pounds less than it is now, so since I gained a little more muscle mass I feel a lot more confident now when hitting the gym. Also I had a problem with choosing pants with the right size (was 26-27, now 30).

#5 Kinyayo, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm plenty capable enough to move my body and perform strength-related activities, but I'm quite self-conscious of my appearance. In particular I have tiny biceps and obliques, which make me look a lot wussier than I actually am. And I'm getting beyond the point where I can pull off a "cute twink" look; I need muscles! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to be underweight and people used to keep telling me I needed feeding up

8. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk5ljG0JU-M

This pretty much sums it up.

---------- Post added 18th Dec 2014 at 12:39 AM ----------

Story of my life. And, let us not forget the classic question of,"Do you eat food?". :bang:

9. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That video is awesome :grin:

And I get that too. My friend likes to bug me with "Do you even eat food?"

Anyone who's been to a restaurant with me knows I do :tantrum:

Another thing: anyone else self-conscious about taking their shirt off and revealing their "boniness"? I am sometimes, I'll admit.

10. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If anyone whoever asked me this could see me when I eat, they would be shocked. :lol:
    Then again, with my luck, they'd probably tell me to watch what I eat or I'd get fat.

11. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only ones that really bother me are:

1. Being told your hugs and snuggles suck, due to your boney form. A friend of mine once said "the best part about being fat? I give damn good hugs." I can't really argue this one.

2. Goddamn watch bands. The only reason why I don't wear watches is because they don't make bands for people with noodle wrists.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fat guys crush my arms (or their arms crush my ribs/side). I usually prefer skinny guys for cuddling, and that somewhat excludes muscular guys too. However, none of the skinny guys have been THAT skinny to the point they are super boney!

13. Articuno92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being thin and having a high metabolism and getting the "you don't even eat", "are you sure you are not anorexic? You're not lying to me are you?" and the opposing "omg you eat like a horse, where do you put it all?" "I wish I had a metabolism like yours!" etc :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a really high metabolism and I'm a really picky eater, combined with being really tall, so I have a lot of problems being skinny. I used to be big when I was a baby, but I gradually stopped liking everything that I usually liked.

It's really difficult to find the right sized clothing, especially trying to find some goddamn pants. I like wearing skinny jeans because it makes me feel not so bad about myself(because I'm finally wearing something that isn't baggy on me). I get really insecure about it, so I don't wear T-shirts, I don't go swimming, nothing.

15. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What else would you eat:roflmao:

16. Joelouis

I get asked by a lot of my friends if I eat ok, and it's just because of my size.
    I do weigh nearly ten stone though (140 lbs) so I don't think I'm too skinny.

My biggest concern I have is that I'm also seen as a workaholic but that's just because I enjoy my job.

17. Candace

As a lifelong skinny guy, here are the problems that I've faced:

Going to department stores and finding the perfect shirt, vest, jacket, jeans, etc. only to find that they're too big for you and they don't have it in your size.

Having your doctor/family/friends ask if you eat enough, although you eat everything in the fridge and possibly your neighbors' fridge too.

Being called named like: Twiggy, Skeleton Boy, etc.

18. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a chubby guy, I *wish* I had these problems, particularly eating food and NOT gaining weight.

I do like hugging skinny guys though - but never encountered one who was bony. I don't get to nearly enough, because I'm afraid that skinnier guys would judge me negatively for being chubby...

So it's been eye-opening for me to read this thread and see that really slim guys can have body-image issues too...

19. Candace

We do, including me. I actually really love the wintertime, like right now where I am in fact. Wearing more layers of clothes makes me have a seemingly larger frame and I like giving people that deception, I guess. But it does sometimes hurt when you look in the mirror and realize that you look like a palm tree in terms of body shape :frowning2:.

20. LiquidSwords

Don't mean to be rude but 39" is a long way off being skinny I'd say. Also surely your shirt lifting up and showing your torso is more a problem for people with a large waistline than a slim one? Or am I confused with what you're saying?

The best thing about being skinny is you can get away with wearing certain things that bulkier people couldn't, like skinny jeans or things like that