1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Impresses You?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Straight forward, I'd say.

I've been thinking about impressions, and what may come with that.
    However, I won't be able to share my thoughts at the moment. I have some errands to run, but I wanted to leave a potentially stimulating topic for the board.

So, what wows or impresses you?

2. White Knight

Hmm in a person generally or are we talking about romantic/sexual attraction side of things.

I will go with normal one.
    Culture/Smarts/Wisdom/Intelligence :
    I have a thing for people with wide knowledge, clever wit and smart jokes. Probably it is tied to group I've group up in.
    Geeky/Nerdy Trivia:
    I like people with enough knowledge over comics, video games or other stuff usually viewed as nerd stuff. Those people tend to have good imaginations and conversations with them tend to be enlightining.
    People with compassion for animals, outcasts and weak:
    If a person shows support/their love for the ones need protection I look out for those people to my best ability.
    Non-extremists:
    You can be all of the above but if you take one thing to extreme I will erase you from my book of memory in a heart beat.
    Blonde Guys
    While this is tied to sexual/romantic attraction, I automaticly think positive about blonde guys. However this is the easily one of the impressive qualities that dismissed...

3. Candace

People who speak foreign languages, are knowledgeable, enjoy my sense of humor.
    People who have a passion for saving the environment, recycle, etc.
    People who know how to cook really well
    People who have traveled a lot and share their experiences with me

4. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    People who get me
    A guy that language isn't english ( prefer french
    Guys with black hair :icon_redf
    Guys that make dirty jokes a lot :icon_wink
    A guy that can make me blush ( its hard to make me blush
    A guy that cares about the well being of his family ( friends included

5. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Courage, people who look past their inhibitions and fears and make this happen.

Originality, something that is lacking in this day and age.

Happy days :slight_smile:

6. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    The girl that lives in my mirror, she seems like the most awesome person I've ever seen! Joke -sort of :grin:

Individuality and originality is definitely top of the list. 'Thinking outside the box'. Everybody has the ability, some more than others admittedly, to draw their own conclusions and make their own choices, but so few embrace it. So those that both have the mindset and use it impress me greatly. What impresses me even more however, is someone who knows how to strike a balance. I don't fit in with other people so I know how frustrating the herd mentality can be to an outsider, but likewise I don't treat everyone else like shit just because of it. If I meet someone else who seeks to maintain that balance, of being unique without being selfish, that's the most impressive thing.

Intelligence is pretty high up there as well. That said, not just any intelligence. Again it goes back to independence of thought. I could meet someone with an encyclopedic knowledge of a subject, but if the person is otherwise narrow-minded and unwilling to expand their understanding then their knowledge is ultimately of little worth.

To give an example: When I was still in school I also attended a community project with learning facilities in order to access subjects my school didn't cover, such as art, music and IT. At this facility there were 2 art teachers: one impressed me greatly but the other I couldn't stand. The first was this guy who was clever but also an original thinker (not surprising for an artist you might say, but bear with me). He didn't tell me 'do this' or 'do it like that', because he understood that whilst you could teach certain things in art, you couldn't teach someone how to approach it, and that it was a constant learning process even for a teacher. Unfortunately he wasn't there very often and we were usually stuck with the second art teacher. This was a woman who thought creativity was the fact she kept her hair pinned up with a paintbrush. She would talk about her travels to Europe and being a free spirit but it wasn't difficult to see she was just a poser. She had obtained the qualifications to teach art, knew all the history and syllabus, but when it came to spontaneity or doing something a little different she put a stop to it at every turn. She would often assign me tasks of writing some large mind-numbing essay on the theory and roots behind a project rather than being allowed to do one, or told to tidy up everyone's mess (I didn't). This was a big part of the reason why I stopped going to the art room.

Knowing facts, figures and procedures makes someone a textbook. But knowing how to learn, make connections and come up with their own ideas, makes them intelligent.

Humour of various descriptions: be it light hearted to dark, observational, sarcasm, cynical, silly or deep. So long as someone can be funny without having to memorize a joke book they'll usually have my appreciation. The exception to this is humour at another's expense just to bolster themselves up: be funny, don't be a prick. The intention behind humour means a lot to me as well, to make someone laugh is to brighten their day.

Kindness, support for others. To build people up rather than break them down is a difficult yet worthwhile endeavour, so this to earns my respect.

There are probably numerous other little things that impress me but these mostly fall under the above qualities in some way or other.

Oh and also, you Kaiser, never fail to impress with your variety of 'stimulating topics for the board'. :lol:

7. QueerQueen

People who are fluent in more than one or two languages
    Intelligent people
    People who can hold a conversation with me
    Originality
    Honesty

8. C P

C P

I'd say this is a pretty big thing to me, because it's something I feel relatively few actually do.

9. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

It never ceases to impress me just how -stupid- people can be.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Q: What impresses me?
    A: People who don't try to impress.

Not much, really. I admire both natural beauty (scenery) and man-made objects which are beautiful but I think that's different than being impressed.

11. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Women who dress really cute! And wear red lipstick! ♥

Another thing that impresses me? Is for SURE how my cat can manage to stretch her legs up past her head to clean herself. She is so weird but i'm pretty sure it's normal.

Also people who can do the splits. I accidentally did them when I was like 7 when it was really slippery outside from the rain and it hurt like a motherfucker.

I might add when people can majorly multi task and not feel like shooting themselves in the head. :eusa_clap

12. Burnedcloset

First of all, I would like to say. Just being attractive, doesn't impress me. Being attractive makes me *like* you but, not in a impressive way.

Anyway, being humble definetly impresses me. Intelligence, sincerity, honesty. These things impress me.

On to the skills that impress me. Playing an instrument or speaking a different language. Really impressive IMO. The ability to dance halfway decent impresses me. Knowing how to dress for an occasion does it for me to.

#12 Burnedcloset, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

A woman who is gracefully firm, and who embraces her all, is what immediately comes to mind. Being transgender, this one is a double-edged sword; it makes me feel warm and fuzzy, but it can also trigger some hurtful bouts of dysphoria.

A man who is confident, but remains humble, only acting when necessary, is also something that crosses my thoughts. Bonus points if they keep a funny or playful attitude, until it's time to get serious.

Intelligence also impresses me, in terms of generality and arousal. Some consider making out and touching "bathing suit areas" as foreplay, but to me, it's all about the mental exchanges. Witty banter, a board game, trivia, or non-malicious mind games. You want to get me excitable, appeal to my mind -- I'm your's.

Humility is something that also speaks to me. I tend to hold back a lot of thoughts and desires, which some know about, but not everybody does. I know how frustrating it is to be perceived as weak or incapable, especially when you know you are so far from such. I always compliment people who display genuine humility, or at least try to.

Kindness. Not that 'I'm hoping to get something by doing this', but that authentic warmth of being friendly. Not only does it make somebody attractive, it makes everybody feel good, because they're being considered and appreciated. There is also the bonus of strength, since it isn't always easy to be kind in the world, where it is encouraged to be ruthless to get ahead.

Humor. Those who try to be funny, are trying to do good, so I don't knock them too hard. However, this is more or less for those who are funny, or who embrace funny. The vast majority of the time, behind those wise cracks and clever quips is a heavy thinking, heavy feeling individual who, more or less, may feel exhausted or hurt by life. Humor is a coping mechanism, be it delivering or receiving that said humor. I acknowledge the struggle within those who strive to be amusing, because so often times, that is all they really want.

Speaking foreign languages, I will throw my vote to as well. I, myself, cannot speak a foreign language. I know words and phrases, but not enough for a casual conversation, so those who can speak multiple languages, you have my respect.

Being a bad ass. Don't go out fighting ninjas or crashing cars, that's just silly movies. No, when I say being a bad ass, I simply mean somebody who stands by their beliefs and themselves. Somebody who, when push comes to shove, won't cower away or use others as a shield. Somebody who is themselves; in good times, bad times, and all times. Someone who is willing to be there, when needed, someone who is reliably capable of handling their business, looking out for those that matter to them, and then coming home for cuddles and silly nose-kisses... errr, I mean, come home where we spar and hone our techniques!

14. Notlad

People who are constantly kind, and people who work hard to obtain their goals.

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm most impressed by those who are compassionate but also aggressive. :3

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unapologetic ambition and a deep, but not necessarily gentle, understanding of humanity.

Ability will only impress me if it's accompanied by drive.

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not being a judgmental asshole.

Which is very rare on the internet, unfortunately.

18. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

I can be easily impressed if you show the right characteristics

Intelligence: this is probably the biggest thing, because people who show that they aren't arrogant and shallow usually impress me. Especially if they can hold a actual conversation with me, because once you gat me going on astronomy I don't stop for several hours

Martial arts- To be specific I find people skilled at Aikido very impressive

Respect- this is a pretty important thing when trying to impress me, you need to show that you respect yourself and other people. Although I can't stand people who have no self respect and blindly follow ignorant people

19. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Being just generally nice and easy to talk too, a sense of good humor and slight intelligence.

20. JakkenDean

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What impresses me?
    - people brave enough to be due their hair outrageous colours or wear outrageous clothes - stuff like that - and not care about what others think.
    - people who can just walk up to someone and start a conversation with them.
    - people who have a similar sense of humour as me.

Things like that