1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interstates/Freeways

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Candace, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Candace

I was watching a weather report today from Los Angeles, California. I'm from the East Coast of the United States, and I found it really odd that people there call their freeways as such: "the+'highway number'"

I live off the 605 (Interstate 605).

In New York City, we denote freeways by their given names, not the route number

I live off the BQE (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway/Interstate 278). Telling your friend that you're stuck in traffic on I-278 will show that you're a non native :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: No one says it like that :lol:

In Georgia, we use the letter I (Interstate) and the route number.

I-75 (Interstate 75), exit 255

So this leads me to asking:

How do you denote freeways in your neck of the woods? Do you use an article before the route number? Do you call them by their 'expressway names', as in the case of New York City? Do you use 'I+ route number?". For those outside of the States, how do you denote freeways/expressways?

2. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We use the I65 coolsprings here in tennessee

3. Incognito10

I am in Maryland, and people tend to call the interstates just by the number "95," "495" though 495 is also "The Beltway" which most people, including traffic reporters, refer to it by that name because it makes a complete circle around Washington.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just say the number :slight_smile:

5. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually say "I"+ the number like I-55 or I-40 ect. I used to drive a truck and this is very common among truckers.

6. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i live in indiana and i refer to interstate 70 as just 70 and interstate 75 as 75... same with highway 35, we just call it 35. like, for instance, if i were explaining directions to someone (just making this up) i would say "yeah jump on 70, take it to 75 north then get on 35 west and take the blah blah blah exit."

7. timo

A + number.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the UK all motorways are identified by a number, prefixed by the letter M. I frequently travel the M180. Main roads and country roads are also identified by letters and numbers, eg. A46, B1146. Most people, especially drivers, use the alpha/numeric identifiers.

9. ChameleonSoul

There's names we give to interstates where I live, which makes sense seeming as how I only live three hours away from NYC. The two major highways around here are Interstate 87 (or "The Northway"), which connects New York City to the Canadian border, and part of Interstate 90 (or "the Thruway"), which links Boston to Seattle and has exits leading to all of the larger upstate cities.

10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Take the 5 to the 405 and get off at MacArthur blvd"

11. AKTodd

Here we just use the number. We've got 64, 264, 464, 564, and 664.

Todd

12. Candace

I'm familiar with this road a lot. I've been up to Montréal a lot and been between it and NYC a dozen times. It must be hell in the winter though. What I really dislike is how I-87 in the Bronx (the Major Deegan) has its own set of exit numbers, then it changes to the New York State Thruway's exit numbering scheme once in Westchester County.

Once you get to Albany and I-90, it becomes the Northway, like you've mentioned, and then again gets its own exit numbering scheme yet again. Mileage based would be so much easier.

I-87 up near Plattsburgh and within the Adirondack Park is amazing!! Nice mountains and scenery and a nice change from the bustling and crowded New York City 300 miles south :lol:

---------- Post added 18th Dec 2014 at 05:11 PM ----------

Way too many 64's. It's like an entire family or something :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually use the prefix and number, such as I-70 and US-54 for example.

14. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been like 6-8 years since I have been to VA and I don't have a map anymore but the interstate highways have a numbering system. I-64 would be the main path of the highway the three digit numbers that start with an even number 264, 464, and 664 should be a loop or at least a half where both ends touch 64 (assuming near different towns or different parts of town) the three digit number starting with an odd should be a spur going somewhere. An example of this is I live in Ft. Smith and it is actually about 10 miles south of I-40 so they built an interstate highway from I-40 to Ft. Smith and called it I-540.

Again I don't know the area from memory and I don't have a map in front of me but these are general rules to how the interstates are numbered.

15. Candace

I know that part, about the numbering system and stuff. Even numbers form loops or bypasses, while spurs are odd. So I-540 is a spur that goes to Ft. Smith from I-40. I-565 is a spur that goes to Huntsville from I-65 in Alabama.

I was stating that it's a lot of 64s and that someone could be confused and get on the wrong one :lol:. That's all.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To get to Bishop International Airport in Flint from my parents' house, you'd take 75 north. To get to the Detroit Metro Airport, you'd take 23 south to 94 east and follow the signs from there.

17. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are highways don't really have names just numbers.

Like if you are stuck in traffic or something you would just tell someone sorry it took me so long there was tons of traffic on 270. Sometimes people will say I 270 but it all means the same thing

18. Psaurus918

Hey fellow New Yorker... Everyone here calls I-90 the "thruway" but everyone down in the city calls it I-90 lol

I spend a ton of time in NYC area and its always the BQE, LIE, Cross Bronx, Major D etc

19. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We use both the numbers and the names here in the immediate Metro Detroit area. "Watch out on M-8 the Davison eastbound past Woodward, disabled in the right lane." We have 696 the Reuther freeway, I-75 the Chrysler(but it turns into the Fisher downtown), I-96 the Jeffries in the city, and there's also M-10 the Lodge.

Other freeways are I-94 the Ford Freeway, but no one calls it that. We have M-59, but it has no formal name. But it also goes by 20 mile to get technical. I-375 has no name really or if it does, it is never used.

20. AlamoCity

We call them I-35, I-37, I-10.

Loops, we just call by their number (e.g. 410, 1604)

Farm roads, FM followed by number (e.g FM 78)