1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, Kindness in People

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tim, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim

Ok, so if anyone here (not sure anyone does <_<) knows, we've been having a lot of issues with money ever since my sister quit her job, and I'm still unable to find one, and we started running out of food. We were literally down to just Peanut Butter and a loaf of bread yesterday. We had stuff like Hamburger/Chicken helper in the pantry for a few months, but no meat =P A little background real quick: My mom volunteers at a battered woman's shelter, and she's developed a bond with the women there. When they needed something, she'd bring it. When they needed something mom didn't have, she'd ask me and my sisters, and we'd check. My mom is the type of person who doesn't take things, she'd rather starve and such first.

Anyways, I woke up today, expecting to eat a peanut butter sandwich for dinner (I wake up at night <_<) And after a convo with my mom about possibly going to college for the millionth time, for some reason, I had the urge to possibly go, so I'm debating now <_< It'd mean financial aid for books and supplies, and I could attend online, as they just added courses online last year. Anyways, I walk into kitchen and notice a box with ~10 potatoes in it, and look up, and there's some little coffee packets and popcorn/candy/jello on the washer. I ask my mom what's up, and she said one of her friends from the house, the leader there, asked if she would be home as she needed to drop something off (dropping anything on our porch and we aren't home, it's gone in 5 minutes. Living in the projects has it's downsides <_<), she dropped it off and ran before my mom got to the door. I was kind've shocked that she would even give anything, and just kind've went back to normal.

About 3 hours later, I get hungry, and decide to go through the pantry and check if there's anything other than Hamburger and Chicken Helper. I turn the corner (There's a small wall blocking the pantry from view), and drop the cloth I was holding. There was cans of vegetables, soup, fruit, boxes of noodles, spghetti sauce, etc. In the pantry. I was in awe. My mom said her friend had dropped the box, and just assumed it was the 3 meals (for me, my mom, and younger older sister) in the freezer and the stuff on the washer. Turns out the women all donated food they could spare, knowing my mom and us had some food shortages. My mom said it wasn't their job to do it, and I agree with her, but at the same time, I appreciate it so much.

I've never met these women, but them doing that makes me want to. I'm considering asking to go with my mom next time to meet them, as my sisters have both met them, even though I'd prob. have to sit through the bible study my mom does for them.

So, today I had a revelation about possibly going back to school, even if it'd just be online, and I learned that people aren't all bad, and there are people out there that care for you even if they've never met you. I was beginning to think life just plain sucked, then this happened, so yea, I'm in a decent mood now, other than the constant coughing that's been going on. I had some soup, which felt sooo good, considering since I got sick, I've had very little :S

Anyways, just wanted to share this, as it was just plain awesome of them. My mom always talks about them, but I just kind've tune it out naturally, as she always seems to incorporate God into it somehow, but now I think I'll listen...

God, I really need to learn to start writing a little bit... Can you tell I really like writing? XD

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Christians who do follow what Jesus taught. Love your neighbor as yourself. That was a great story! I hope things get better for you guys soon.(*hug*)

3. Rygirl

It is really nice to know that there are still some selfless people in the world. Thank you so much, you just made my day!