1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in soul mates/true loves/twin flames?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Burnedcloset, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Burnedcloset

Title also, have you ever experienced it?

I have no experience, yet I still doubt "true love" exists. I think everyone has more then one person out there who could love them and, have that love be reciprocated.

Disney likes to think otherwise......

Edit: not sure if a thread like this has already been made, probably.....

2. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe in 'true love' but not 'one true love'

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Ummm....it depends on how love is defined. I'm with you that I believe there is not just one person out there for us. I believe love exists, as I love my family and friends platonically and I think romantic love is quite similar to that, but I don't think it always lasts.

4. White Knight

Nah...

I have that delusion once. Life kicked me in the face twice and I got better.

5. shinji

shinji Guest

I did... How silly and naive I was for doing so. But hey, I do realize that some might find something that they are content on calling "true love". I can no longer see that as being a thing.

6. Acm

Acm Guest

That basically sums up my feelings on it

7. C P

C P

I personally see that 'soul mate' stuff as a bunch of cliché nonsense.

As for 'true love', that's a toss up, if only because I can hardly say I've so much as crushed really.
    *shakes magic 8-ball* 'Try asking again later'

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fairy-tale concepts have the dreadful habit of forgetting to include humanity and reality in their grandeur.

Love isn't set down from birth. It's built and requires effort to maintain. It develops cracks that we have to fix or allow to cause the structure to crumble and it never causes fantastic ecstasy forever.

Love is so much more human and you have to negotiate for it. We can't just spend our lives hoping it will fall into our laps as our birthright if we want to cultivate real love.

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then Disney is confusing children. Love itself is not enough for a successful relationship. Although I think the smart kids will figure it out. Unfortunately, soul mates are a myth. It was a difficult fact to accept. It surprises people, but I'm a hardcore romantic. Life taught me a cruel lesson around 2 weeks after my 15th birthday. I went emotionally numb for years. I tried to guard my heart by focusing on a few very, er, physical relationships.

There are many people out there compatible with us and relationships require hard work. My heart has been abused more than an Irishman's liver. Yeah, I know, stereotypes and all that. My boyfriend once used that expression and I couldn't stop laughing. We share similar goals, so, that kind of helps a lot.

10. kumawool

I'm in that kind of relationship, so it's not a matter of belief, since I know it exists. The primary difference between Disney and real life is the amount of work involved. That's it really... Relationships may spontaneously happen, but it takes dedication to keep it going. It's a lot of work, but very rewarding.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Life is a bitch, but she also has a sense of humor -- a fuckin' cruel one -- but humor nonetheless.

"That's a cute thing to say, Kaiser, but what does that have to do with this topic?"

I'm glad you asked!

I can't say for certain there is or isn't something, like a soul mate. There is a lot of stuff in this world I do not know, nor will I ever. The universe has so many mysteries we've yet to solve, and the ones we think we have, only opens more questions. The seemingly endlessness of the cosmos is rather... humbling.

I'm rambling, I know. But I stand by what I said. So, I can entertain the idea that, maybe, there is somebody out there who could love me the best.

But this is where life displays their kind of comedy. If there is somebody who closely resembles a soul mate, they're somewhere in the world, in some country, in some town, on some street, in some apartment complex, and working a dreadful 9-5 job... and they have no idea who the hell I am, or what I'm doing. Life may provide the recipe for potential, but it won't tell you how to use them.

Some folks gamble and win, and that's the luck of the societal draw.

"Wow, Kaiser, that's kind of depressing..."

It is, isn't it? Hm...

You can still love people. It sounds absolutely silly, but it's a basic truth. Kindness and respect are, in my opinion, at the beginning of the spectrum of love. If you can give these, and receive these, then there is a chance at experiencing a sliver of what makes life worth it:

Value.

Be it how you make others feel, or how those others make you feel. To have sentiment, to be precious to somebody, instills in us the finest reminder of what it means to exist. Though moments come, ideas fade, and people go, it is the attention and investment we put into these things -- their value, and our own to these -- that fuel our motives and inspire our dreams.

That sounds heartwarming enough, I'd say.

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's super deep, Kaiser. Wow.

13. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I totally do. :icon_bigg

At first, I thought it was not real, that people exaggerated, or pretended to be so much in love. So I totally get why some feel like that, I've been there too, I understand. =]

But I have found my true love.. :icon_bigg And I realised that things from films were true. For me, my true love exist. :icon_bigg If I had not met him, I would've thought it didn't exist. But I know now, my true love is Kabuki. =]

14. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    IF soul mates are real, the chances of finding that person are ridiculous. Maybe some people do, but it's still not going to be the fairy tale delusion some people actually look for. "Okay I know we were literally created to love each other but I swear to GOD COULD YOU JUST DO THE DISHES FOR ONCE!?" is probably more accurate than "happily ever after".

I'm a romantic, I want to believe in true love and soul mates. Am I hopeless enough to look for that? Nope. I want stability, dependability, and understanding far more than "everlasting love" or whatever.

15. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I do. ...still. :eusa_pray

Have I ever experienced it?
    I thought I had... :cry:

#16 all paths, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  16. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

17. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe in true love--I've experienced it. I believe there are people out there that you could experience an immediate, possibly mystical, connection with--I've experienced it. I think I was the only person in the love at first sight thread who defended it, because I've experienced it--on a side note I think it's interesting given the nature of this forum the number of people on here who are willing to dismiss the romantic and attraction-based experiences of others as simply unreal simply because they themselves do not or have not experienced them yet are all aghast when straight people do that to LGBT people (hypocrite much?). But I don't agree that there is only one person out there for each person--that seems really silly to me, and, frankly, I am open to the idea that some people may be so unpleasant and/or unready that there is no one out there for them.

18. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

With (almost) every post you make, I like you more, and more, and more and more and... you get the idea.

I'm delighted to have a person with such a refined perspective here on EC.
    Not to mention that I share many of your views.

19. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do I believe on Soul Mates? I have to, I've been there.

Do I want the struggle, the pain, the desperation, the madness that comes with it, would I pay again such high price of admission? NO WAY. I'd run like hell from such a person. I'm still dealing with things that happened 15 years ago, so if you think the Roadrunner is fast, you haven't seen me yet running away from love.

I'd rather spend my life next to a fireplace than a volcano.