1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please tell me I am not the only "messy" out there...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerTransEnby, Dec 19, 2014.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ever since I was young, I could never get organized. I have papers and clothes everywhere. No garbage or anything, but it adds up after awhile. I hate general cleaning. Please tell me there are other guys out there that hate cleaning. If not, is it a deal breaker? I am not hoarder, but I do have a hard time throwing away certain things from the past.

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was actually clean when I was a kid, and would always keep my bedroom tidy, and organise my shoes into rows, but since about age 12, I've turned into a slob.

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually, my room gets a bit chaotic after some time, but then I'm "done" (that means I can't find my own stuff easily anymore) and I end up organising everything. :lol: I don't hate cleaning, in fact, I kind of like it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Putting some music on, singing with songs and cleaning, it's fun. :icon_bigg

You're not the only one, I know people who don't like to clean at all. Whether it's a deal breaker or not depends on the person. For me, I want my boyfriend to help cleaning too. =) But a bit of chaos, I don't mind at all. I'm not the type that gets annoyed by that. If it's too much, I'd tell my boyfriend, ask him if I can organise it a bit, or we can do it together. But it doesn't bother me at all. :icon_bigg

4. AlamoCity

I am messy. I love perfectly organized spaces, but I can never get Pinterest-like perfection :lol:. So, I capitulate. Personally, I tend to be an alll-or-nothing type of person. That said, I do try to make my room look as neat as possible. What doesn't help is that I usually process all of the family's paperwork, so I always have mounds of papers to shred, review, mail, etc.

My best friend is my Fellowes shredder. A good TV episode on Netflix and I can tackle all the paperwork that needs to be destroyed.

I can deal with clutter so long as the "public" areas of the house are decent for company. Being "messy" is not a dealbreaker for me, provided that it is not actually unhygienic. I cannot stand dirty dishes that stand for more than a day.

One thing that does help me clean more often is having cleaning products that are "fun" to use. I have some cleaning sprays in lavender from Mrs. Meyers that I love to use and a nice almond smelling wood cleaner from Seventh Generation. It's the little things that make cleaning bearable.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel I'm kind of messy. I call it a reflection of my life. :slight_smile:

6. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a messy beast.

Do you have to be a guy to post in this thread? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. White Knight

I am Messy Organized if you can call it. I put things around my general vicinity according to their importance and how often I will need them. Not tidy but organized.

When it gets out of control I re-organize everything.

A messy guy would be a problem. I don't mind cleaning, even love it sometimes. However if I will be cleaning your mess you will be at least helping, Mister. If you don't you can live somewhere else.

8. Nikky DoUrden

Things just keeps getting messy. I clean things and the next day BOOM chaos everywhere! halp!

9. Wukie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is a battle that myself and iHeartRadio will win together! I'm not messy, its just a never ending battle. I swear that something is hiding in the kitchen that uses dishes while I sleep.

10. anniebunnie

anniebunnie Guest

I'll let it get sort of messy because I'm lazy but then I'll organize everything..it's a cycle

11. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm messy, as in, "designated spot" messy.

I have heaps of stuff in my room, allocate them to random spots in my room and just throw it there to stay. But I know where everything is.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I've gone into depressive troughs, I've gotten messy. For me, messiness is a clear sign that my depression is running higher than average.

Typically, I am very neat. Also, I do tend to throw some stuff away, and I have thrown stuff away that I should have kept (evidence ... but I won't go into that). However, for the stuff I can't part with, I also find ways to tidily store it. I'm really weird since I like to make lists and file things in an almost compulsive manner. It's probably the way I try to organize my life given the melodramatic and unpredictable, albeit nuclear, household in which I was raised.

13. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm VERY clean person... But i wouldnt say its a deal breaker for me if the guy isn't as clean freaky as i am.. but we may clash on it a lot

14. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like it somewhat clean. Bugs, mould, tripping hazards and taking forever to find things drives/would drive me crazy. But things like sweeping, mopping, dusting I never do. Who has time for that? :lol:

#14 HM03, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  15. 741852963

Messy but clean here.

I believe cleanliness is next to Godliness, and I do really like cleaning. I am very hygienic, its just I cannot keep things organised and in the right place.

To be honest, having a messy house is an incentive to clean it regularly - if everything was in its place you wouldn't get the same satisfaction from tidying/cleaning.

16. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I tend to know the general area where stuff is, if it's something I'm likely to need often I'll keep it in one place so it's easily accessible. That said my home is messy/crowded. There are a few reasons for this. The main thing is I live in a small flat and my mother is my lodger, so with me, her, and our combined possessions there isn't much space. It's not exactly on the level of a hoarder but it is cluttered. Often when I try to do a tidy up I find I'm basically just re-arranging what's there and end up with just a slightly tidier mess!

There probably are some things we could do with getting rid of but this posses another problem: it's not so bad if something can be donated to a charity shop for reuse but a real issue if it's only fit to be disposed of. Why do I say this? Well the local council has reduced rubbish collections to once a week, so there is already an issue in my local area with there not being enough room in the designated areas for bins. Throwing out food waste obviously takes priority over clutter. There is the option of taking your waste to a recycling center, but being as we both have physical difficulties and neither of us drive, we can't really access these.

As for the process itself, despite my physical difficulties I'm quite good when I set my mind to something, it might take me longer and I might have to spread the tidying over a few smaller sessions but I'm confident I could get it done eventually. But there's one more problem with this: I think I must be the only person in the world who gets told off by my mother FOR TIDYING UP!!! Even back when my mother was more physically able herself, she simply didn't. I'm quite happy to do it myself including both her clutter and mine, but I have to wait until she's gone out for a while then look forward to the tantrum when she gets home. It's not that she wants to hoard stuff, she just can't stand the disruption of things being moved about.

One positive thing about having clutter around: you can use it to hide valuables out of plain sight. Nothing we own is of terribly high value, but anything I wouldn't want to get taken in the event of say, a burglary, can be stashed away so that any would-be thief will have a job on their hands trying to go through various worthless bits 'n' pieces just to find any one of them, which they are not likely to have much time for. Just so long as you pick somewhere safe for whatever it is, remember where you put it and can easily access it yourself if need be, it's actually quite a useful method. The downside being, well the mess itself basically!

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A college friend of mine wrote his college essay on what a slob he was, and how it was intrinsic to his behavior. He's a brilliant guy, and he sort of thrives in the chaos of disorder he creates around him. Someone on his residence hall took him to the school's Judicial Board because they said that somehow the sloppy condition of his room was a hazard or something. He successfully argued that he'd disclosed fully who he was in his admissions essay and by admitting him, they agreed and accepted that this was who he is. They let him off. Oh, and his business card in college, for a title, was "increaser of entropy."

I also had a housemate who had DID (multiple personality) and her room was PACKED with shit... no room to walk anywhere, no open space. The house as a whole was often sort of messy, and when we did a huge cleanup in the common area and everything was neat and tidy and there was lots of open space... it actually created anxiety for her.

So... I think there are plenty of slobs out there who are effective, productive, and just think and work differently from many others.

18. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, I can be pretty disorganized. The problem is, I don't have a lot of stuff and most of it's pretty well organized. But that all flies out the window when it comes to the sheer number of papers I've got lying around. In fact, I've got a giant box that's just nothing but a bunch of old drawings, first drafts and school papers from years back.

And it can sometimes be weeks before I'll even remember what the top of my desk looked like.

Now that most of my work is electronic, I've gotten better about this. But the problem even extends to my own computer! My downloads folder is a complete maze and it's impossible to find anything without much spelunking. Most of my main documents are in folders but there's just way too many files.

19. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm cluttered, and yet I'm still a neat freak. I have to vacuum every single day, and yet you still can't see my desk. I've always had issues with organization, but I'll be damned if there's a speck of dust and dirt in my carpet. I have Asperger's.

20. Candace

I'm messy to an extent. It's probably because I get absorbed with doing something that I forget to clean, as in...do dishes, etc. But I will do them once I have a sudden realization of "hey, I really need to do this". I'm getting better about it. Like AG above me said, I'm an Aspie too and that can be a cause for me to forget to do things like cleaning my room, etc.