1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh no u didn't (debates!)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nikky DoUrden, Dec 19, 2014.

?

Do you like debates among friends ?

1. Yep, a healthy debate is healthy

45 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. I will tend to agree with others even if my opinion is different

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Nope, always avoiding it

10 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. MY OPINION IS ABSOLUTE

10 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Nikky DoUrden

In some circumstances, speaking to another person/friend might bring u into a disagreement about a specific topic.
    I wonder what u all think about it - do u like exchanging words in order to achieve some mutual understanding, or prefer not to be in that situation ever and just say "yes" when a conflict appears ?

I also apologize for my english if "debate" isnt the right word. I didn't want to use the word "argument" because what im talking about isn't a negative thing, and argument has negative vibe :slight_smile:

2. White Knight

Mind stimuli is the best aphrodisiac and addicttive.

I grown up with such debates and still do it with my best friend or any other friend who can know where to draw the line.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's not entirely one option excluding all others.

Debate is healthy, but sometimes I will insist that my opinion is the only valid one when I feel I have a strong reason to do so.

There are some debates in which disagreements are only about minor things, intangible things or the approach to something of which the motive and attitude towards are essentially the same. Those debates are not debates to simply shut down the discussion; multiple contesting opinions can hold weight without one really surfacing as the only possible view that's both correct and moral.

Other debates are ones in which the morality is unequivocally one-sided. Some discussions cannot be had in which respectful disagreement can be heard; that's just having no real interest in it or no spine to back up your convictions by paying lip-service to a non-existent middle ground.

4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sure I like them, as long as they don't turn into a shouting competition. The biggest irony is that I'm often involved in such. There is certain topics like politics, religion and the rest, where it doesn't seem to make much sense, 'cause everybody seems to desperately cling to the same old set of excuses to avoid a real debate.
    Everytime I hear "you can't play God!!" I get ill...
    ... And then I come back for more, I never give up. It's no fun when they agree with you all the time...

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I feel very strongly about something, I will state my opinion, but I will not debate it. In these few cases, my opinion is simply not up for debate and I will not entertain an interminable argument to the contrary that will serve no purpose. I'm not going to change my mind.

Overall, I think debate is healthy, but I also have to say that some people don't know how to debate properly. If you really want to debate with another person, it's worth putting some time and effort into learning how, otherwise you're more likely to end up having arguments and falling out with people.

6. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I work in politics so of course I enjoy debates (unless there's no point in debating with certain people, which is often the case.)

7. Quiet Raven

I love debates. As long as the person I am debating with is at least decent at coming up with good arguments and willing to pay attention to what I'm saying.

I am someone who has had many debates and arguments with people online about various topics. I actually enjoyed most of them to an extent. But many just gave me a headache because they only repeated the same thing over and over, without even paying attention to me.

8. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love debating as its a good way to further ideas and challenge existing opinions in an attempt to reach the best or most accurate one. That is so long as it is about the exchange and discussion of ideas and not just about stroking the ego's of the participants in a senseless attempt to one up each other.

9. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I'm definitely a debater/arguer. I will debate and argue whatever it may be; I do not shy away from a disagreement or conflict. But it has to be a real debate--as soon the other person degrades into name-calling and shows they're not fit for debate, then I will leave them to wallow in their own crapulence.

10. Pie

Pie Guest

The last time I had a debate with someone, it was with a religious fundamentalist asshole. We were talking about abortion and he told me:
    "Abortion is a murder, even if the child is going to be disabled/have mental/physical problems. Do you know who used to kill disabled people? Adolph Hitler."

He said I was a nazi, and we never had a serious discussion after that.

A few month later, he told me that being gay was a mental illness, that it should be cured, etc... I HATE him since then. I cannot stand him anymore. He also deserves the title "Religious Fundamentalist Asshole".

And I despise debates now. People never want to change their mind, they don't care about your arguments. Having a debate is pointless if you already have an opinion. Listening to a debate is another story...

#10 Pie, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014
  11. NotSureWhatIam

I checked my opinion is absolute. But I have no opinions, only fact.

12. Perseus

I do the opposite of avoiding debates... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: haha

13. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most times I just agree. But certain things I feel strongly about I will argue over.

14. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's the thing, though. It's not always about changing people's minds; sometimes it's just about judging the other person's ideas. And that can be beneficial for those listening or for those debating. I find debating allows me to strengthen my opinions.

15. adimanav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Used to engage in loads of debates with friends...mainly politics and religion...seemed fine at first.. but it just grows into something you don't want to deal with....
    Happily debate free for quite a while :wink:

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

There are too many people where there is just nothing to be gained from a debate with so the only time I really share my opinions is if I know someone is interested in them

I do think some of the best discussions can occur over dissenting opinions but unfortunately most of my close my friends just take it personally and act offended when I dont like something they do. So while lately ive make an effort to be more honest I usually hold my tounge

17. CyanChachki

I try to avoid debating with people, especially friends. The reason being is that they usually end up in fights and I hate fighting with others. It accomplishes nothing other than pushing us further apart. There are times where my opinions have been changed but when it comes right down to something such as LGBTQ+ rights, I take a stand and I'll fight tooth and nail if someone opposes it. It's not to say that others can't have their opinions, whatever they want to think or believe is fine but if they want to avoid a never ending battle that will break a friendship, then they can keep it to themselves.

18. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will tend to agree with others even if my opinion is different.

19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of my friends have the same opinions as me so it doesn't really happen. And I don't particularly like debating either, because it seems to make people angry... and it seems pointless, because neither side ever 'wins' (at least from what I've seen).

20. shinji

shinji Guest

Then your friends are wrong, or you are completely misunderstanding the situation. Then again, I can't say for sure since I don't know your friend personally. Have they actually voiced their disapproval of your opinions?

/thread - I do love debating, but unfortunately most people don't like debating with me, since I usually go by the motto "argue until you convince them".

A friend recently told me, how they argued with a person that a red binder, is in fact blue, and that the person in question was wrong, even though said friend already knew that the binder was red. The skill needed to convince someone of something that you yourself know to be wrong. Now that is something special that not many possess.

So yeah, from time to time I find myself debating points that I don't necessarily believe in, just to see if I can manage to make the other person believe in them. It's somewhat of an exercise.