1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any medicos here? ^_^

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by adimanav, Dec 19, 2014.

1. adimanav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys!!
    I joined ec a week back...Thought it'd be nice to know other med students/doctors/aspiring docs!!
    Have a gay day :slight_smile:

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! I'm currently "pre med." I'm majoring in biochemistry. I'm a junior right now. Not sure what I will do in the end, since I've been having fairly recent mental and physical issues lately that sort of impede my ability to be as competitive as I need to be to get into medical school, but we'll see what happens. Also, in general still not sure what I want to do with my life. I'm pretty sure it'll be in medicine or medical research though, I hope. Anyways, I digress. That's currently my chosen path. I'm beginning to think I may be interested in ophthalmology. I have to take the MCAT this year unless I want a gap year. Not sure yet! So much stress! Haha. I haven't even began studying for the MCAT!

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Recently I've been considering going into the medical field but I'm still not sure.

4. adimanav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Austin... This is Aditya.... The u.s. system is quite different from ours I guess....After high school we take this exam the aipmt to get into the country's med schools...its a 4.5 year course called Mbbs not sure what you guys call it there...I'm doing my third year currently... and after that we cam major in any of the subjects studied earlier including clinal and non clinical... after I'm done with my Mbbs I'll probably do a post grad in surgery or medicine or ortho or who knows dermat...
    We had biochemistry in first year...won't lie not one of my favourites.. hahaha :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2014 at 12:23 PM ----------

Medical's great if you're interested...and also if you don't mind studying days after days :wink:

5. Oh wow, you're lucky! For the U.S (and maybe some other countries), we have to go through another four years of university until we can enter medical school. We also have a test to get into medical school called the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test). However, a high score doesn't guarantee admission into medical school since they also look at our grades from university.

I'm considering on whether I should become a medical doctor. I'm bouncing around medical doctor, pharmacy, and engineering. I'm concerned about is my mild color-blindness, which may cause short-term and long-term issues. Also, if I don't get accepted into ELAM, which is a tuition-free medical school in Cuba, I'm not sure how I'll deal with potential student debt.

6. adimanav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there.. yeah its quite different here..like I'll be a doctor by the time I'm 22 and can start practising a year later after the completion of my year long compulsory internship at the hospital of my college...
    But nobody starts practice right away.... We'll take the aipgmee(all India post grad med entrance exam) and choose a field like surgery etc. The u.s. system seems way more cumbersome...lucky me
    Also our university grades don't count as long as all subjects are cleared..Best of luck for your exams :slight_smile:

7. phony

Hey! I'll start my 4th year of med school in march (I'm from south america) Here is 5 years of medicine then 2 years of internship then you become a general doctor.
    Specialities are 3-5 years more.

8. adimanav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi... that's what we follow here except it's 4.5 plus 1 :slight_smile: