1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people think Bisexuality doesn't exist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MouseKeeper, Dec 19, 2014.

1. MouseKeeper

Bisexuality is more common than Asexuality and yet people are saying Bisexuality doesn't exist. They also attack the Asexual community as well, but it's strange that Bisexuals are still being told they're wrong. I EXPECT to hear ignorant people bash Asexuality and say it's not real because society thinks it's impossible for a person to not feel sexual attraction, but to attack Bisexuality?

Can someone help me understand this stupidity?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As you said, it's stupidity. So it's doesn't really make a lot of sense.

3. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I recall that the Kinsey scale goes from 1 to 6, therefore it would appear that in fact the majority of people are actually a bit bi, and that those who are *exclusively* 100% gay or straight, are actually in the minority. So I'm puzzled as to why anyone would think the above.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Ignorance is one possibility, because we're told, many times in life, you are one way or the other. Kind of a 'with us or against us' mentality.

The other reason is, for whatever reasons, usually political, heterosexuals see bisexuals as willingly sinning or "as proof you can choose to be with the opposite gender", while homosexuals see bisexuals as making them look bad and "undervaluing same-sex monosexuality".

Basically, bisexuals are thought to be double agents in the field of sexuality.

It's silly, really.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Ignorance; plus some straight people fake bisexuality to look 'cool', some gay people fake bisexuality to avoid completely coming out.

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Because society thinks everything should be black and white.

That you must choose between one or the other.

7. ZenMusic

I like you.

8. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wait a minute, who are these people? Have you personally met such 'fakes' and are you sure they were faking?

9. Candace

It's ignorance basically. Some people are drawn to believe that people who claim to be bisexual are just doing it for attention. Sigh...

10. DinelodiiGitli

Because people are inclined to reject anything they don't agree with's existence.
    It's like when a little kid doesn't look at something they've broken; if they pretend it isn't there then perhaps it won't be.

11. CyanChachki

Exactly what NingyoBroken said.

They can't simply figure out how we can like both because in their mind, they only like one. I believe a lot of it comes from people who pretend to be gay or lesbian. This is not to be confused with Bicurious people. Bicurious people are curious, fake lesbians/gays pretend to be gay/lesbian because the gender they're attracted to isn't working out for them. The fake ones play with the hearts of people who are actually LGBTQ+ and end up leaving due to not being able feel any kind of attraction towards them. They're often confused with Bicurious people, who sometimes realize that they're not actually Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual and also end up breaking someone's heart. Then there's those who get super drunk and kiss whoever they feel, only to wake up the next morning either completely forgetting what they did the night before and/or feeling nothing towards the same gender as they claimed to feel the night before.

This of course, gets all mixed up and therefore, some believe that bisexuality isn't an actual thing... when it is. Unlike Bicurious people or fake/drunk "Bisexuals", Bisexuals know what they are and who they like.

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Yup and yup. I have been sexually harassed and almost assaulted by many straight women before which is why it pisses me off.

13. MouseKeeper

I hear ya. I've been sexually harassed and select few instances border sexual assault. This was by many men and women, and the funny thing is allegedly sexual harassment and sexual assault towards men doesn't exist. Bullsh*t.

14. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People with a strong attraction to one sex have such difficulty thinking of what it is that makes their non-preferred sex attractive, that they think it must take gargantuan mental resources to have an attraction to both sexes. That somehow there isn't room in the human brain for that (and yet, there seem to be plenty animals with far smaller brains that are bisexual... but they don't think that far).

Really it's about as simple as seeing red and green, and not just one of them, but try explaining that to a color-blind person.

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The gays and lesbians who think bisexuality doesn't exist think that way because they are malicious.

16. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree so much. Luckily I wasn't actually physically assaulted or molested (a minor arm grab at best) but there was definitely verbal harassment that could have gotten worse.

Which is the problem with some people arguing that fakers don't "exist". Straight men have fetishized female homosexuality to the point that some girls think It's cool to pretend to get some attention from guys, and (like my experience) they think that actual lesbians are toys for their amusement and that they are entitled to our bodies because apparently 'we have no feelings and we should enjoy experimenting with them'.

I do think that some bisexuals can be closeted or behave in a certain way, but it irritates the hell out of me when people want to act like people don't fake being bisexual. To deny it is dangerous for gay people who are victimized and hurt by these fakers, and dangerous for bisexuals because they get lumped in with them and cause some gay people to think all bi people are potential threats or predators.

I do understand that accusing someone for faking is wrong when they may not be, but people still fake it. Just like people fake mental illnesses to get out of law trouble; not everyone who says they are mentally ill is pretending, but just because some people are legit doesn't deny the existence of those who aren't.

17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh another topic like this.

18. Burnedcloset

Wait.......you can like both boobies and pee pees!?!? Blasphemy, I say!!! Burn them, with fire!!!

Lol

Honestly, it's rather silly for gays and lesbians to reject the existence of bi people. Why go around saying something isn't real when we get some much hate ourselves? We preach about love and respect yet, we have discrimination in our own ranks.

I may not be able to understand liking both genders. because, *cough* I'm like really gay :wink:. I just accept that other people do.

I'm proud to give all of you bisexuals/pansexuals a big hug
    (*hug*)

19. Gabby29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm bisexual and I'm very real simply because I exist. I'm attracted to both guys and girls even though I prefer men about 65/35 to women. It always made me laugh because in school I was pretty much the only Bi and everyone else was either gay or straight and both sides would always lecture me on which I should be. Truth is I love guys and girls, girls are extremely beautiful and guys are just fucking hot... (pardon my French) my life experience with my bisexuality is that people did think I was 'intimately confused' yeah what.ever. I believe you are who you are and if someone or some people don't agree then that's their personal problem I don't lose sleep over that shenanigans and neither should you

20. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Two reasons stupidity and bisexual erasure .