1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Overbearing opposite sex parent = gay child"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Driftr

What do you think about this stance? I really wonder who came up with that theory first and how they arrived at that flawed conclusion. Did they actually bother to go in depth and survey the parents of straight people in comparison to see if the theory held any weight?

Because if that theory is true, then a whole lot of the world is gay. I mean you're telling me everyone with an overbearing opposite-sex parent is queer?

But then again, my mother was really strict and my dad was the passive one but that is only a coincidence IMO. I know someone here has an overbearing same-sex parent and they're still LGBT right?

2. NotSureWhatIam

I think it was Sigmond Freud, due to lack of understanding about sesexuality and a homophobic culture.

3. Burnedcloset

I HATE HATE HATE, HATE! this theory. Because for me, it's a excuse for my dad to blame my mother for me being gay. I know that's what he's going to do. She's very protective and overbearing.

I was born this way. The way my mother treats me, is not going to make me want a weenie.

4. Nikky DoUrden

I think it comes from thinking "gay guys are more like girls, and lesbian girls are more like guys", and who r the closest opposite sex to the LGTB ppl ? thats right, the opposite-sex parent. Q.E.D //

But ye, probably not true. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. C P

C P

I can't say really, because I almost fit the textbook description of stuff like this personally.

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does apply to some, it doesn't apply to others. I guess if you test the hypothesis (number of gay childs from overbearing parents and not overbearing parents is equal), you cannot reject the hypothesis. =]

I don't think there's a correlation in this (not that I know of at least). =]

7. NotSureWhatIam

I have an absent father, an overbearing mother, and I am the youngest of three boys. Both are supposed ingredients for being gay. So there may be truth to it, however, my first gay experience was before my dad left, and i still had other male role models so idk about that particular theory.

8. LiquidSwords

Yeah that's not my mum

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both of mine are overbearing.

This isn't a scientific theory. This is typical folk and Freudian explanations with no real research behind them, just trying to add a label of psychology to uneducated suppositions from social biases.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No data to support it, and a lot of data that doesn't fit with that theory. Basically, it's bullshit.

11. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing with these theories is that I think even anecdotally they often mix up cause and effect. The fact of the matter is that I know a lot of gay guys who had doting mothers and distant fathers--which was the sort of pop pysch explanation when I was younger. It really is striking how many gay guys in my generation seemed to describe their parents growing up that way. The things is that correlation doesn't equal cause, my thought was always that on some level parents know and particularly back in the day there kind of wasn't anything to do with that knowledge except be afraid for the child (which seemed to be the most common maternal response) or confused by the child (which seemed to be the most common paternal response)--which gives you a doting mother and a distant father (but as an effect not a cause). I remember after I came out my Father commenting that there had always been something about me that he just didn't quite understand, something that always sort of prevented him from relating to me properly--and now that he knew what it was he could deal with it properly and, indeed, we were much closer after I came out. Anyway, just my two cents...

12. David21201

my parents are pretty chill... with most things...

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think we've all seen it a lot. At least, I have. However, I've also known women who ruled their households and dominated their husbands have sons who were womanizers and as straight as an arrow. I think there is something to it ... but how much, I don't know. It's difficult to quantify. Also, gay/bi men come from patriarchal families every bit as much.

14. Notlad

My dad was the overbearing one. Still is. My mom is a lot more passive, though she will totally flip her lid whenever she feels like.

15. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Neither of my parents are overbearing, so this theory is null for me. I've always been a little closer to my mom than I am to my dad, but that could be simply because I saw a lot more of my mom growing up. My dad always had a busy time-consuming job.

16. Metleon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So what happens when there's an overbearing mother with a gay son and a straight son? The straight son just resisted it?

17. 741852963

Maybe it was a genetic predisposition that made the gay son more susceptible to that particular environmental trigger? *Shrugs*

But then it might not even be a trigger at all, who knows.

18. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    An idea based on the theories from the mind of Sigmund Freud, ladies and gentlemen, the same man who advocated giving lobotomies to homosexuals.

It's one of those things that is vague enough to be applied to just about anyone if you look at it from a specific angle. For one thing the definition of 'overbearing' or 'distant' in this context is very adaptable. You could call a parent overbearing for being overly kind and doting or for being strict and domineering, or you could call another distant for being entirely absent, working whilst the other parent stays at home, or just for being generally quiet.

19. Candace

Well my mom is super overbearing and I don't really get along with her. I get along great with my dad. My mom thinks that gay guys should have their mothers on a pedestal, which I don't think is true at all.

Had the reverse been true, I probably would have liked my mom more so than my dad, but it was just based on their personalities and parenting styles, not their gender.

20. CyanChachki

I don't think so. I mean it could have a small bit of influence but it doesn't make someone LGBTQ+.