1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a gray area between Transphobia and Homophobia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DianaLives, Dec 20, 2014.

1. DianaLives

Tw: Depictions of scenes with transphobia and homophobia

If a boy decides to break the norm and take care of his hair, after a while, he gets a beautiful curly, well-treated, long, shiny hair. Soon their parents become concerned, after thinking about it long and hard get an ''ah'' moment and realize that he's a homosexual, that explains why he still doesn't have a girlfriend! ( :eusa_doh: ).
    In this instance, what kind phobia they have untreated, is it homophobia because they are utilizing stereotypes as a reference or is it transphobia becuase they are assuming your gender expression relates somehow to your sexuality?

I personally think that it is transphobic thinking and It's completely unrelated to the roots of homophobia, while still expresses homophobic misconceptions. But I'd like to know what you guys think. :icon_bigg

Tl;dr: When people assume your gender expression determines your sexuality, is it homophobic thinking or transphobic thinking? is it both? is it a whole different thing?

2. iiimee

The gray area between those is BOTH homophobia and transphobia. It is homophobic by stereotyping homosexuality, but transphobic if they are saying what he is doing is BAD. I think if they are accepting you could just call this confusion and hopefully educate them. ...Again, I am only a 14 year old, so don't kill me!

3. Aldrick

Really, all anti-gay and anti-trans bigotry comes down to gender discrimination.

As a gay man, the bigots hate me because I love and fuck men. If I was loving and fucking women it would not be a problem. As a biological male, I am expected to fuck women, and that is why being gay is upsetting to them. I am breaking their gender stereotype that men only want to have a romantic and sexual relationship with women.

When dealing with someone who is trans, the bigots hate them because their gender identity does not match their biological sex. Someone who is biologically male is expected to have the gender identity of a male. By embracing their true gender identity they are breaking the stereotype that biological sex and gender identity are the same thing.

This, in my mind, is what unites the LGBT community, and puts our struggle in line with the struggle for gender equality. The more gender equality that exists, the less discrimination against us, because it frees everyone up (gay, straight, cis, and trans) to break established gender roles and expectations--allowing us all to be ourselves. It frees us all from perceived social obligations.

So, in other words, the struggle for equality for queer people really liberates everyone in a society. It does not just impact those of us who are queer--it impacts everyone by breaking down gender barriers which leads to more gender equality.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Definitely. Just look at how many people say "gay men want to be women" or "gay men think they're women" and how many people call trans women homophobic slurs and assume they're all attracted to men. Also, those who think they "deceive" straight men say they should "stick to gay men like themselves," since anyone who love and enjoys sex with someone of the same parts *must* be gay.

It comes down to transgressing gender norms, and both groups do it in different ways, but the outcome is similar. This is why I have to facepalm whenever I hear someone saying they have zero things in common with the other group, and thinks it would be better if we weren't grouped together, and went our separate ways. The battle is far from over.

Oh, and there are plenty of gay transgenders, so there's that, too. It's not like the various letters in the acronym never intersect or cross.

5. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it might just be me, maybe it's only on EC too, but in my personal experience I seem to find a lot more queer trans* folks than non-queer trans* folks. However, I may have only made that observation because it's uncommon for people to straightup (no pun intended) "come out" as straight.

On-topic, above posts got it right. The gray area being referred to here is ultimately where homophobia and transphobia intersect--they both root at gender-based stereotyping and dislike towards those breaking these norms--and is what makes 'LGBT' its own acronym with all of us together.

6. soulcatcher

It is just stereotyping and misunderstanding in that case.

7. BloodFlame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's a little of both. I remember I got this treatment when I started dressing the way I wanted to which was pretty androgynous for a guy (And I'm black too) so you could imagine.

So yeah, I feel it's a little of both.

8. DianaLives

Most of the above responses seem to say that it truly is something of both, and I'm starting to agree, but do you guys also think that there are other gray areas, like let's say, biphobia and lesbophoia? Or maybe it's just those two major groups that have this ''blending''?

9. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't hear a bit of *any* kind of phobia operating in that scenario. I hear ignorance of sexuality issues and of gender issues. Both are common and understandable in hetero cis-people in this society.

Homo/trans-phobia would be if they weren't open to receiving information about the one, the other or both.

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd go out on a limb and say that all forms of LGBTQ discrimination is gender/gender role based.

11. Aldrick

I am echoing this. This is what literally unites our entire community in a single struggle. This is what the LBG, the T, the I, and all the rest of the alphabet soup have in common.

12. Yosia

Why have all these words for different kinds of discrimination when we can just pile it all under one label of: asshole.

13. DinelodiiGitli

It depends, I believe there a gray area in everything.
    When it come to transphobia, acephobia, homophobia, etc. you can either not be an a-hole, be a little bit of an a-hole or just be a complete a-hole.

14. MrK21

Well the ROOT of transphobia is homophobia, so there is definitely a gray area. I don't think it's neither. It is just ignorance. Gender expression has nothing to do with gender identity or sexuality. There is a fairly good chance he is probably straight. It's really messed up to assume a man is gay or trans* simply because he is the least bit feminine. Even if it were so, then so what. I seriously wonder if I would have ever been gay if I did not receive so many accusations of such as a child. I probably would have turned out to be a mentally stable heterosexual male.

15. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say it's generic stereotypes about gay men. It's a pretty inaccurate assumption, but it's also fairly innocuous.