1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Input needed: Most useful info you got from EC that helped you accept yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chip, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking just now about some of the most common things that seem to be helpful to people in understanding themselves, coming out, getting acceptance from friends/family, and other issues that LGBT people face.

A couple of tidbits that seem to come up a lot are understanding the stages of loss, looking at attractions and masturbation habits to figure out one's sexual orientation, being able to put oneself in another's shoes when figuring out what to do/how to respond.

I think it could be useful to assemble a list of the most useful thoughts/tips/insights that people have shared on EC for people starting the coming out process.

Please share your input and thoughts and ideas!

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Input needed: What were the most useful bits of info that helped you accept yours

The most important tidbit for me was knowing I was born gay and no one or nothing could change that. It kept me going and starting the coming out process although it took awhile to accept I was born gay at first.

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Re: Input needed: What were the most useful bits of info that helped you accept yours

Everything can and will get better but sometimes it takes time and it always takes action.

4. beyourself

beyourself Guest

To know that I don't have to pressure myself to decide for a label and can just accept myself (and orientation) a bit more each day.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That public perceptions toward LGBT people are changing day by day, and that clinging to homophobia is largely confined to religious nutjobs.

6. Notlad

Reminding myself that I'm not changing anytime soon, and that if I plan on being alive for very long I'm going to have to be comfortable with who I am.

7. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Some kind of feeling for what rings true...
    a kind of feeling this is me...

things kept in memory... scenes that could not be forgotten, with a feeling they have a meaning...
    passages from books, scenes from tv, texts from the internet
    Different from angst ridden feelings, a feeling this is for me...

history... the knowledge there were always people like us...
    even revered in old times for use as intermediaries...

reading of stories, and watching a few good movies

8. MessieM

Youtube. Youtube. Youtube.

My own medication whenever I'm feeling low… rose ellen dix, ellosteph, bria and chrissy, gaygod, tyler oakley, troye sivan… the list goes on.

Those guys have helped me through some bad times. Not sure whether this was answering your question, but these vloggers are so important to spread awareness and their words reach so many corners of the world, touch so many people and show that little scared kid in the bible belt that you can be gay and ok!!

Also, tv series with gay characters… particularly Faking It

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

All good thoughts, and all appreciated! To keep things on track, my intent in starting the thread was

The more the merrier!

10. shinji

shinji Guest

My brain's failure to even accept the idea of me being happy with a straight woman in a normal (by society's standards) relationship. I simply found boys more interesting, they made my heart race.

Not giving a !@#$ about what people think, does help with accepting yourself for who you are, because then you stop feeling pressured to pretend/hide because of the silly opinions of others.

11. shinji

shinji Guest

edit: ...

Value yourself more than you value the opinion of others. That's my tip for the day.

12. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

I think the biggest thing was seeing that there were other people who feel the exact same way I do, and that this weird complex of feelings that I have is common enough to have a name.

I've known gay people IRL, but never had much exposure to transgender people, so I was woefully ignorant about it. For instance, I never realised that gender and sexual orientation are two different things, that a transwoman can be a lesbian and a transman can be gay, or that gender can be a spectrum, and that cross-dressing and being trans are not the same thing.

It was also good to learn that being bisexual really is a thing, and not necessarily just a way to be in the closet.

13. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Talking about how I felt helped me a lot, especially talking to people who were going through the same thing that I was experiencing. Also, being honest with myself about my feelings and realizing that it was something that I had to accept because they weren't going away.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I always knew I was weird (read free spirit, independent thinker) in a general sense. I never followed the crowd. I knew as a kid that I couldn't change that, that I wouldn't be comfortable changing that, and I haven't really tried to. That has meant less friends, less tangible success, and less accumulating the things people aspire to accumulate in life. However, the fact that there are some people (family, relatives, friends, and casual acquaintances) who like my weirdness, on various levels, have made it ok for me. It's a quality over quantity issue. A smaller number of genuine people in one's corner is way better than a larger "collection" of not as genuine people in one's corner. As for therapy, sometimes its value has been that it has enabled me to get through some very tough and contentious times ... and that's ok. That has value, too!

15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Realizing religion was a fraud.

16. Tbob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

In terms of understanding my sexuality, the question "where do your eyes naturally wander when walking down the street? was the most enlightening for me.

Someone once posted that to tell yourself "i'm gay and i'm not okay with it" is not a bad thing and it is a start on the process of acceptance. When I read that it really helped me realise that so many people have experienced the same emotions.

17. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The It Gets Better Project.

18. Burnedcloset

Youtube is a very powerful thing.

I hope all the wonderful LGBTQ+ youtube know that.

19. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

When I was twelve I knew that my lack of attraction to guys could mean two things. I'm either gay or a late bloomer. For a while I just considered myself a late bloomer. I still noticed that I had feelings for girls, but I constantly told myself I was just admiring them.

When I was fourteen I started meeting some gay people. They seemed cool. I also didn't want to be a late bloomer. At that point being gay seemed better than being a late bloomer. I've been in special ed for my whole life, so I have a lot of anxiety about being slow.

20. Adam1969

I'm struggling to learn how to accept myself by my definitions not those created by the society as a whole... including the LGBT community. I hate stepping on toes but I wont find the strength to come out until I trust myself enough to reject views, regardless of their source, that dont fit my standard of integrity! Not being preachy here, its just I think this will be a hurdle for me as I can be a real wimp sometimes! :eusa_doh: (&&&)

So, the specific information I needed was learning even more about the diversity within the LGBT community. This group, although diverse has its internal disagreements! To fully join the LGBT community, I'll likely have to not "closet" those disagreements!?

Thank for posing this question Chip! :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2014 at 11:41 PM ----------

Please dont be sad! (&&&)

#20 Adam1969, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014