1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Car

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

How do you treat it?

I ask for two reasons:

I took mine to an automatic car wash today, and while I was waiting for that to finish, it got me to thinking about car care. Basically, I notice a lot of people will allow their car to get cluttered, and some will never wash it. Some never purchase air fresheners or any kind of coverings either.

Curiosity is the first reason. The second, though, is something I noticed -- at least around here, where I live and frequent. A vast majority of the time, you can tell a few things about somebody by their car. Not so much how they drive it, but how they take care of it. Everybody I know who has a cluttered vehicle, tends to live day by day, are selectively lazy, or they dump their problems onto others, until it gets so bad, those others fix it. While most individuals I know who have a clean vehicle, tend to fall into two camps. They don't like to drive all that often, so it doesn't get messy; due to a personal reason, or it isn't their car. The other camp is, they seem to have a little more confidence in themselves, or they are looking to impress others. This one is harder to pinpoint at first, but it is interesting to think about...

But I'm rambling.

Basically, how is your car? Do you take care of it? Do you prefer to wash it by hand, in an automatic wash, or have somebody else do it? You have any kind of unique/interesting seat/wheel covers? And so on.

When the weather isn't cold, I prefer to hand wash my car. If my car could talk, I'm sure it'd say I give it an orgasm, LOL! When it comes to the interior, I vacuum once a week, and I only keep a few things under the seat. Everything else is either temporary, or it goes into the trunk (of which the contents, will probably be addressed at another time). To put it simply, people appreciate how nice and clean I keep my car.

When it comes to covers, I have a basic leather one for the steering wheel. I intend to get something else, but for right now, this suffices to protect the steering wheel. My seat covers are silk-like, so very soft, while my floor mats also match. Only instead of silk, the floor mats are carpet-like.

One day, I intend to do a unique custom job. I'd like to have either a purple and black color scheme, or a purple and lime green (yes, like The Joker). Though I'd be totally okay with baby blue and white. But this is quite a ways into the future, even if it is something fun to think about in the now.

The exterior is decent. It has a few minor scratches, which have been chalked up over a period of years. The most notable piece of damage to it, though, is a cracked hole on the backside of the right side's rear view mirror. I was going to fix it, but I kind of like it; it adds character, and it makes my car that much fast/easier to locate in a parking lot.

All that said, I miss my El Camino... why'd I have to be a fuckin' idiot and wreck it?! *_*

2. Joelouis

When I'm working away, I usually stop at one of the many car washes run mainly by immigrants because they do a bloody good job.
    When I'm home I'll take it to my local jet-wash and do it myself.

I also do most of the repairs or maintenance myself mainly to save money.

3. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't get crazy about it, but I keep my car really clean on the inside. A few times per year I'll give it a good vacuuming, wipe down everything, etc. MY last car was 10 years old when I sold it and it still looked new inside. I've had my current car for about a year and a half and it still has the new car smell.

The outside is a bit trickier. It's pretty much a lost cause to keep it clean around here during the winter, but I'll take it in for a wash once a month or so to get the salt off of it and get the tires to shine. No sense cleaning it if there's going to be a blizzard the next day though.

4. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I don't own a fucking car.
    I don't need it in the city.

Too many taxes and other expenses.

5. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I absolutely love my recent tendency to do double or even triple posts.

Not.

#5 Black Raven, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm lucky I don't drive a ton so it doesn't get dirty too quickly. My car gets cluttered after a while but I've seen way way worse. I don't clean it often but it doesn't get too dirty. And yes, it does reflect my dysfunctional personality/life.

7. Candace

I don't own a car as of yet. I just use my brother's 2006 Suzuki. I really don't want it to end up like my *cough* mother's *cough* car, where it looks like a scene from the Death Star chase in Star Wars. Extremely cluttered and clearly has seen better days. Absolutely no food nor drink. You cannot have those in the car. No, no, and no.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well ok so u drive a blue 2014 Lexus 250 so if you've had it for a year and a half u probably got it in 2013 but the model is a 2014.

9. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I bought it in July 2013 right after it came out. Car model years are usually way ahead of the calendar. :slight_smile:

10. shinji

shinji Guest

The perfect thread to brag about my Ford Probe GT V6 24V 165hp!

The lacquer is falling, there is dent in the driver door, slight rusting in the trunk and I suspect at one point it was in a car accident as there are far too many "jobs" done to the rear.

Purchased the car second (more like 4'th) hand for $1250, then another $625 for some Michelin Primacy tyres and around $800 in taxes and fuel, plus around $500 in repairs. It's around 215.000 kilometers (if I am to believe that it hasn't been tampered with).

The car is from 1995 and has some weird engine problem with the RPM's where they suddenly plummet in idle to around 100-150. Otherwise I usually drive it with no problems @ 175-200km/h on the highway. It's fun leaving expensive "sports" cars in the dust, plus there is the chance that I might die, so yay for that!

Anyway... The car itself is so rare in my country that even though it looks like shit on the outside, it still turns heads. The ridiculously (due to modded twin exhaust) loud noise it makes when revved does contribute to this.

I don't wash the car, ever... Just the windows so I can actually see where I'm going. The inside of the car however, I keep spotless and it's quite comfy and well sound insulated.

Got a pair of Hertz speakers in the back and an old school Alpine amp/player so music is quite good without actually having to resort to some huge ass bass tube in the trunk.

Anyway, I got a bit off-topic. The thing to note about my country is that here, it's actually not wise to take care of your car, especially if it's a coffin on wheels like mine. Because there are far too many negligent drivers, holes, thieves, etc... If it runs and if it's comfy on the inside, then it's good enough!

As for air fresheners. I've experimented with these quite a lot and have come to the conclusion that the smell of "coffee" is the best choice.

I keep stuff natural, no covers for the seats (even if I wanted to, have you seen the seats..., sexy as hell!). No cover for the steering wheel, nothing... Oh I do have these kewl Michelin mats, since the originals were basically trash. Apart from that the only other thing that deviates from stock is my cell phone holder. Nothing else, not in the doors, not in the compartments... nothing. Minimalistic and clean!

Pic! http://i.imgur.com/tDBOmWx.jpg Here Kaiser, decide for yourself how much "good care" I give to the car.

Isn't it beautiful? I'm actually looking to sell it due to reasons... My original idea was to restore it but... too much effort not enough money. Plus there is that whole other thing about it being a death trap...

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya I've noticed that.

12. MisterTinkles

Well, I am an organized person. I like a place for everything and everything in its place.
    I drive a truck, and I like to keep it as clean as possible.

I dont have access to hand washing my truck, so I have to use the car washes, which I dont like. For one, they are too expensive, and two, they dont clean like doing it by hand.

Usually during the summer I only have to wash it once or twice, unless it rains or something.

So far, this has been a really wet winter where I am at, so my truck is filthy. If finally got tired of it and took it to wash all the crap off of it last weekend, and vacuum it out.
    It's still been wet almost every day since then, but the wetness has kept the crud from building up on the paint, so from a few feet away it still looks good.

I HATE, HATE, HATE dirty windows!!! I get in some peoples cars and you can BARELY see out of the windshield!!!! HOW do they NOT get into accidents????? I am ALWAYS cleaning my glass on my truck.

I also use rubbing compound to get the marks off the paint where assholes have opened up their car doors on my truck, and I use Armorall on the dash and tires. I also have a rubbing compound for my headlights to help keep the plastic from looking too dull.

Unfortunately the hail got my truck in 2012, so its got some dent marks on it. They aren't too noticeable unless the the sun is shining right on my truck.

I recently had to take my truck to the mechanic and get a new front end on it.....tie rods , ball joints, and stuff like that. It kept pulling over to the right real bad. I thought it was the brakes, but it was the linkage. All which cost 1800.00 dollars.

I also have always had old vehicles to drive. Too many lunatics, psychopaths, and legal criminals on the roads for me to waste money on a new vehicle.

Although I did have a new vehicle once.........and some douchebag rammed me from behind at a red light and totaled my new car. I only had it for 7 months!!!

No new vehicles for me......only clunkers!

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My car is long gone, but it was a beat up beast called Victor; a red 1993 Grand Cherokee Lardeo.

14. Jethro702

I have a really old car.... A 1991 Chevrolet S10. I do kept it really clean though... I can't stand it dirty. I usually take it to a auto car wash, but I just bought a bunch of stuff to start cleaning it myself.... and I dont let the inside get dirty :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your car is older than you.

16. juliegt6

I keep my car extremely clean, but more importantly I keep it extremely well maintained. In the summer I daily drive my 2000 Jaguar XKR and in the winter I daily drive a 2004 Audi A8L, I have an extra car, a 1998 Audi A4 and in the summer I have a few motorcycles I ride on occasion. I'm probably going to replace the a8 with a similar year A8L W12 in the next two years.

New cars just seem like bad math for my situation. I do my own work so the cost of even major repairs is not much compared to the guarantee of depreciation. My car might break, but a new regular car will depreciate.

17. WallWeed

I drive my dad's old ('96) little mini-van (he passed away a couple of years ago and it was passed on to me), and I can't say I keep it spotless, but I'll take it for a wash and make sure I clear out all the garbage on a semi-regular basis. Trouble is, I get so wrapped up in school and work and everything else, that I barely have time to sleep much less pamper my car, so it could use a bit more lovin'.

18. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I drive a '99 Volkswagen beetle right now. I keep it clean. Any trash that makes its way into the car is removed as soon as I get out of the car, I never let anything pile up in it. The only things that remain constantly in the car are in the glove box and the trunk, and consist of a few small supplies for emergency situations, the registration and proof of insurance, a phone charger, and a towel.

I don't vaccuum it often, only when it seems noticeably dirty, but I also avoid eating in the car, so I have far fewer crumbs than half of the people I know. I dust the dashboard frequently, because it's huge and accumulates dust fast. I prefer to take it to an automatic carwash because it's convenient, and I go whenever it's visibly dirty. I fill up my gas tank whenever it's below half a tank, but not yet below 1/4 of a tank, in the summer time, and never let it get more than half empty in the winter time. I check my tire pressure and oil frequently.

I don't have any sort of covers on the seats or steering wheel because I find them unnecessary. I also won't put any stickers or decals on my car, because I find them obnoxious. I do, however, sometimes put fresh picked flowers in the car in the summer time - it's a beetle, it has a tiny vase on the dashboard, might as well use it. I don't allow smoking in the car.

Basically, I'm meticulous about my general car maintenance. And I don't clutter it - cluttered environments make my mind cluttered too.

19. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    My car doesn't need cleaning, being as it is imaginary. Vehicles made of thin air are the most low maintenance I find :lol:

If I did have a car I'm quite sure I'd want to keep it tidy, main reason being I don't like the idea of any idiot looking through the window being nosy about which food wrappers or whatever are in there. I'm far from knowledgeable about cars but as a teenager I had a thing for classic MGs, you can bet if I ever got to own a beauty like that I'd take good care of it.

I actually quite like the idea of owning and customizing a motorbike as well, not full-on Harley Davidson level of devotion but just make it unique and my own. But that is most likely going to stay a pipe-dream, you need to be pretty damn physically robust to deal with the perils of bike ownership as my father's frequent falls proved (although what that proved more than anything was that it's not a good idea to ride around whilst very stoned).

20. Notlad

I mean. My car isn't vile. I throw trash away.

I drive an 09 Mercury Milan so it's just another step torwards me becoming a middle aged dad prematurely.