1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on public restroom segregation by gender/sex

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Dec 20, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

What are valid reasons for public restrooms to be segregated by gender/sex?

There has been a lot of media attention about trans students who are denied the right to use the bathroom that corresponds with the gender they identify with. I'm curious to know what is the logic behind segregated bathrooms. Now, mind you, I think I would be very reticent to use a bathroom with women for some reason, but I wonder if there is a "public safety" concern (I completely understand segregation based on age; for example, my sister's school's restrooms for students have signs that say "restroom for use by students only: no adults").

2. Minnie

Some people are more comfortable going to the toilet round people of the same gender - which most of the time also means the same sex. As for trans students, I think most of it is discrimination and little a***holes who think their privacy would be invaded by having a trans student in the same place.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone thinks trans people... especially MtFs are just perves trying to sneak at the opposite sexes' privates.

I mean unless you are literally shitting in the same stall... that will not be a problem in the woman's bathroom.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

See, here's how I feel about it. Just let everyone use the bathroom they're most comfortable with. Install plenty of stalls so we've got privacy, and etc.

What really pisses me off is when there's segregated single room bathrooms. I mean, what's the point of that? It doesn't matter which one someone uses because they're just one bathroom. Augh.

5. Candace

I feel like it shouldn't matter. As Dr. Winchester stated, it'd be nice to just allow trans people to go to the restroom of the gender that they identify with. Minnie mentioned how some a-holes want to claim that trans people do it only to be able to look at peoples' privates. Um, so by that logic, should gay guys and lesbians be banned from the men's and women's restrooms too?:confused2:

6. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was in primary school for the first few years we had unisex bathrooms and changing areas, until we were about 7 or 8 years old I think. Presumably because young children are considered much the same in terms of personal needs. They were for children only except for when they needed assistance, nowadays I think the health and safety regulations for that have changed somewhat.

The most obvious positive for having unisex bathrooms is for transgender individuals, (who tend to face harassment for using either room) and non-binary, but there are also other reasons why they can be a good idea. For example elderly or disabled people may need a partner or carer of the opposite gender to assist them, especially when disabled toilets are not available outside of a gender-specific bathroom. Also fathers with babies/young children frequently have difficulties with this because womens bathrooms are usually the ones containing baby changing tables, and whereas it is generally accepted that mothers can take their children of either gender into the womens bathroom it is less so for a father to take a child into the mens, especially a little girl.

A local LGBT club I have been to a couple of times has unisex toilets and they don't seem to have encountered any problems with it. There is however this cautionary and amusing sign on the wall outside:

Attached Files:

7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That right there. That is what really annoys me. Personally, I'm not waiting in line for one particular single room bathroom because of the picture on the door if the other one is open - but I've seen people do just that. It's like there's a weird taboo there or something.

8. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh dear god with that logic we would be totally screwed lol. so then if that happened how are we supposed to use the bathroom then? Society has very screwy logic imo lol

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just let everyone use the bathroom of the gender they most identify with as wonderful Dr. Winchester said.

10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is, as someone mentioned, because a lot of people feel more comfortable using a bathroom with people of the same sex. While we are here in our little bubble of LGBT people, we should realize the majority of people do identify with their birth sex and probably feel more comfortable segregating their bathrooms. That said, I prefer personal bathrooms anyways and I don't understand why signs segregate those bathrooms? Presumably they don't need a urinel in the girls bathroom but men don't NEED it either. Maybe as a compromise trans people should use the bathroom based on their legal sex. But, idk what to do about gay people.

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Discrimination isn't an acceptable compromise. There are some trans people who have fully transitioned but STILL have their legal gender as the gender they are not. What about them? Wouldn't they feel a bit out of place in a bathroom of their "legal sex"?

12. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If someone is trans, the gender segregation should be nulled. Otherwise, I think it is for safety reasons. I don't like using public toilets anyway, but if they were co-ed, there is no way that I would be comfortable enough to use them that way.

13. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've used a co-ed bathroom before and I have to admit, I found it a bit awkward knowing there was a girl in there. -_- I agree that trans people should be able to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with (and there really shouldn't be such an uproar about it), but otherwise, I think most people feel comfortable using the bathroom of their gender, which is why they are segregated. I know I do, at least.

14. CyanChachki

This may not be the best thing but I think that when someone starts hormone treatment, they should get an authentic medical card stating that they are allowed to use the washroom of their preference. They won't always have to show it but when someone questions them and tries to stir up drama with say a manager or security guard, they can show them this card and get a pass.

15. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ...As long as you pass, you're fine. I'd just say to go with the gender you pass as. What about that "in-between" area where someone doesn't quite pass as male or female, though? That leaves a gray area in the situation, but I'm not sure how I'd go about dealing with it if it became a problem when they went to the bathroom. Personally, I'd prefer just going into the mens' room, but I still have a ways to go before I can pass (too young; it's harder to get 'mones).

Most people just want to take a piss and leave; I don't know where people get the "MTF perverts are just trying to infiltrate 'women's spaces'!!!12!" stereotype. How the hell would you be able to get a good look at anything without being conspicuous and making a spectacle of yourself? Furthermore, I don't believe that unisex bathrooms will cause a jump in rape rates- I doubt rapists are dissuaded by things like segregated bathrooms, and M-on-F rape is not the only kind (but it seems to be the exclusive focus, ignoring many rape victims in the process).

Unisex bathrooms with stalls are fine with me, but I like single-room bathrooms because they are usually cleaner and have better toilets. To be honest, I'm pretty indifferent about the "unisex vs. segregated bathrooms" issue, but I think that going with the gender you pass as is the most practical solution.

#15 An Gentleman, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  16. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, gotta disagree. Only when someone goes on hormones? What about people who can't for medical reasons?

They have something similar and that's called a carry letter. Therapist will sign you on and you carry it on through security/bathrooms/etc just in case anyone gives you trouble. I never bothered getting one, might maybe, but I'm not on T yet and I still use male restrooms without issues.

17. Yosia

18. antibinary

I think that there is no need for them as long as you have cubicles.

19. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why don't they change it? And if it's difficult or impossible to change, they should update the archaic laws. Either way, it's not like anyone is going to check., I guess. Can you get in trouble for using the wrong bathroom? :0 It just seems like letting people use a bathroom of the opposite sex for any reason basically makes having segregated bathrooms pointless.

20. CyanChachki

You're right, I wasn't thinking about those who couldn't be on them and I apologize.