1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other cultures

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Dec 21, 2014.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Hi guys :slight_smile:

Suppose if you have a partner/boyfriend/girlfriend of another race (interracial),

will you be interested to learn about their culture and celebrate their festivals with them? :slight_smile:

eg.

Chinese - Chinese New Year

[​IMG]

Indian - Diwali

[​IMG]

Mexican - Dia de los muertos etc.

[​IMG]

As for me, I'm an Asian and I really look forward to celebrating Christmas and other festivals with my future partner (hopefully if I can find him :slight_smile: )

2. AlamoCity

Depends. I have Mexican heritage in me and I don't know much about Dia de Los Muertos :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, nor do I have family members who celebrate it. Ok, technically I do have knowledge about it, but I learned about it in school and from an academic standpoint; it wasn't handed down to me. I suppose it depends on how "Americanized" the person is.

That said, if I dated someone who had a different cultural background, I'd make it my duty to learn about it. Plus, it's bound to bring me massive brownie points with the in-laws.

3. shinji

shinji Guest

Since I have almost no respect for my own traditions/culture, I'd most probably adopt those of my hypothetical boyfriend. Seeing as I'm never getting one, I tend to not worry about such stuff right now.

While I do see how these things might play a role in a relationship, I don't necessarily agree that they should.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have always liked other cultures, and have had many friends from other cultures. Thus, I have always respected and celebrated their events if in a position to do so. If I love their cuisine, then I'll celebrate it even more. If I don't like their cuisine, then I'll at least learn about the cultural aspects. I often wonder if people are offended that there are certain dishes I will not eat. C'est la vie.

5. Summer1110

I personally love culture and history and I enjoy learning about new traditions and such. Even when the ethnic background isnt large I still enjoy learning celebrating different things that my partner does. It allows me to get closer to them and also get to know them better.

6. Quiet Raven

Honestly... I think it would be awfully rude of a partner to not care about their cultures at all. That is a big part of their life, you kinda have to accept it. If you don't want to take part in other cultures, you shouldn't date a foreigner. At least that's what I think...

That being said, I love learning about different cultures. I would love to date someone from a foreign country and learn and take part in different cultural activities.

7. Tardis2020

Of course. Why not?

8. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it's awesome to experience other cultures and like to do it as much as possible! My ex was Chinese and I got to experience a lot of his family's traditions (including a Buddhist funeral and a wedding). My current bf is half Indian but he hates his Indian side so I don't get to do any of that stuff with him unfortunately.

9. Rolando4

I'm Cuban-American, but my two exes were Mexican. They weren't too into their own cultures, but they still taught me Mexican slang or traditions. I loved learning everything I could about them so culture is no exception. On my side, I love sharing Cuban culture with people, so without a doubt I'd immerse my boyfriend in Cuban culture :slight_smile:.

#9 Rolando4, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I would assume I'd know quite a bit about somebody, before I made the decision to date them, which includes being aware of how attached/active they are towards their culture.

But to answer the question, I'm down. I like learning, if it isn't a chore or a bore. I suspect, in this situation, there would be a desire to want to be involved, if it really meant that much to them. I'm not going to dismiss something like that.

11. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course I'd be interested. I'd love to familiarize myself with their cultural practices, if they were different from mine. But my boyfriend is just as white bread as I am--nothing foreign and interesting here -_-

12. Candace

Well, I used to live in a super huge city where there were dozens of other cultures right at my doorstep. I was forced to learn about their culture.

I'd be more than happy to learn their culture, language, etc. Absolutely :grin:

13. Burnedcloset

Well, I suspect my partner to want to know about my culture. I mean....who has dated a gypsy? I'm like a freaking unicorn or something.

14. White Knight

I love learning about new cultures... don't need a boyfriend for that.

The day I learned Boxing Day is not about everyone wandering around with boxin gloves and punch each other kinda kill the some fun in it but... world full of many surprises.

15. Erzulie

I would be interested only if that was something my partner was into. Some people come from a culture but are not really in touch with it/do not want to associate with it. I would find that out before I get too into the culture itself. If my partner does associate with it, learning about new cultures is always interesting, and participating is usually really fun.

16. ShiroKage

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love cultures! I'd probably be the one introducing new things though, since I'm mixed race. >_<

17. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Thanks for your replies guys :slight_smile: They are very positive :slight_smile: Cultural exchange is really interesting :slight_smile:

18. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I always take an interest in other cultures so yes I would.

19. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Thanks for your reply JackAttack :slight_smile: