1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will people get that the year is still pretty irrelevant?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by C P, Dec 21, 2014.

1. C P

C P

For clarification, I'm of course talking about in regards to comfort with sexuality, coming out, and all that ya di da...

I'm getting really sick of attempting to reach out to others only to have them throw it in my face about how much of a disgrace someone like me is to the community; That we're the reason everyone thinks it's bad/wrong to be lgbt; That we offend them; That "it's 2014!". 'We' as in those of us who are not out and/or still not quite at ease with ourselves.

I couldn't care less if you came out 2 minutes ago or 300 years ago, but are people really that naive to believe that, because " It's 2014!", we've somehow magically turned problem free?(I guess that question can be seen as somewhat rhetorical) :icon_mad:

Go ahead and shame me some more, because that is definitely helping me ease myself into comfort; because, hey, "It's 2014!", right?

I'm sooo sorry that I haven't ever had the support from family, etc. that you have (had).

2. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You seem like you need a hug right now... (*hug*)

3. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Dear lord, this temper, you need a good shag...

...Oh wait.

Regardless, in this year of 2014 and the coming year of 2015, society is still a very long way from being in a place where such an argument would even make the tiniest bit of sense. We still have so many bigoted families, so many traditional and old-fashioned people and parents, it will take a few more generations to really get anywhere.

#3 Black Raven, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I so agree. People who say that tend to demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge of how progress works. It also tends to show that they've never actually thought about it for themselves.

Progress is not an inexorable process of time. It's the active work of humans. It can lead to a false sense of complacency (or a deliberately deluded one that means that they can claim liberal brownie points without working for anything) and the belief that nothing needs to be challenged.

5. CyanChachki

I think that a lot of people don't realize just how hard it is for some people to either come out or accept themselves.. or both. This doesn't make you a terrible person at all. Everyone can do both on their own terms and with their own time. Yes, it's 2014 and yes, the US has legalized gay marriage in a lot of states this year but that doesn't mean that homophobia has lessened. If anything, (and let's be honest) it's gotten worse. Now you can come out now and possibly be bombarded with torment from those who disagree with who you are or you can stay in the closet and have to fight with yourself every day while listening to those openly hate the LGBTQ+ community. It's a double edged sword for some people.

There are people in this world who are very lucky and have a family who supports and loves them no matter what. Everyone's gotten a homophobic comment towards them. I think that those who are lucky need to take those homophobic comments and apply it to their every day life. Think of the homophobes as a family member. Thinking of how they're going to escape their house. Wishing that they could grow up so that they don't have to be around their family etc.

6. C P

C P

[​IMG]

Are you hosting?

These kind of people seem hopelessly oblivious to this kind of thinking it seems. A perfect example is that some of them actually did have to face similar struggles and, when they get through theirs, somehow acquired the mindset that anybody who is still facing their own should just 'get over it and come out'(because "it's 2014!") and that apparently we are the scum of/everything that's wrong with the community. It makes no sense and is pretty infuriating.

Either way(whether you had to go through struggles or somehow had next to none), you'd have to be ridiculously sheltered/ignorant as :***: to assume that we're in this perfect world where nothing sexuality/gender related matters and that all problems related have been erased.

It being "2014!" has little relevance to anything.