1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride parades in Sweden?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Milonov, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Can I ask you a question, guys & girls?

Why do people still hold gay parades (how are they called in English, by the way? I use the Russian term) countries like, say, Sweden, where LGBT equality has already been achieved? Why protest then?

I very much understand why such parades are held in my country (yes there are gay parades in Russia, people think we're homophobic monsters but in fact we are not that bad), where there are issues to be dealt with, but what's the point if there are none?

2. timo

I think it's not so much protesting, but more like celebrating the freedom you have.

Edit: like, one day a year where you can be yourself completely without worrying about anything at all. It's cool.

3. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The situation in Stockholm is very different to the situation in the smaller towns. You can feel like the only one who isn't straight. People aren't well-read on LGBT-topics. While we do have rights, the attitudes aren't always the best. So, Pride is still important. It's basically a big love fest where everyone's accepted.

4. Marty18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that it is also about having fun, meeting people and just for celebrating human diversity. And even we are quite free here in the Czech Republic, we still want to be equal with straight couples, we miss gay marriage at the same level with straight people and some of us would be happy to be able to adopt children :slight_smile:.

P.S. - I love colours and rainbow :grin:

5. Winter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every single LGBT community, no matter which country, has endured centuries of discrimination and hostility for merely trying to live life as they are. Indeed, in Sweden, for the most part LGBT equality has been achieved. That doesn't mean we should forget everything before that, or ignore the sacrifices, punishments, or dedication of others in order to achieve this freedom. Any gay parade is either a celebration of this, or signifies the continued fight for LBGT rights.