1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not-so-happy holidays (i need some advice)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by shostakobitch, Dec 23, 2014.

1. shostakobitch

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My very best friend in the world almost killed himself a few days ago.

He's a gay college student struggling with relationships and life at home with his family, and he lives far away enough from me that I only see him in person about twice a year, most. However, we talk online almost every day, and I tell him everything.

Almost everything. He doesn't know that I'm pansexual, and that I've been extremely depressed before, too. I don't know why I haven't told him, but it's still a difficult topic for me to talk about.

He sent me a letter, a few days ago, saying goodbye. We've also had many long, emotional talks over skype. And I don't know what else to do to help him. I don't always know what to say to all of his messages, some of which recently have been very emotionally worrying. His family and other close friends are really trying to help him, but I just don't know what I can or should be doing as his best friend. I feel like instead of creating a "what, you too? wow, i'm not alone" moment, if I tell him how much I can relate to his struggles, it will seem like me just throwing my problems on top of his and nothing will get fixed.

I don't know what to do. And I don't want to lose my best friend.

thanks in advance for any help.

2. adimanav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You know what my best friend did that a lot of times... he just couldn't cope up with life and started hurting himself....the truth is it gets over...he got over it and now he is incredibly happy... so the best thing you can do right now is speak to him whenever you can and let him know that it will be over...cuz it does... all sucky things come to an end and so will his problems....just give it time and brave through.... plz ensure he remains in touch with you...and I think you should tell him about yourself probably he'll think then that you get him...just hold onto him and don't let go...ever..

3. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One my lovely friends used to be like that and he had a very abusive father and no friends but me
    Now he have a boyfriend they moved in together and he can't be happier
    You just need to wait but don't walk away at times like these you need to give him hope and wwai till life changes for him he will be so grateful for you because most people who gets in moods like these lose their friends

4. CyanChachki

I went through a lot of that too, for most of my life. As hard as it may be to talk about, I think that sharing the fact that you where depressed for some time while not making the conversation all about you but instead sharing the light with him will help him feel not so alone. I think that all of us who have been through it, wished to have someone who'd understand without freaking out or being told to grow up or being told to fix their own damn problems.. It's a hard thing to open up about because I believe that most of us fear of being attacked when we're already on the ground. I would say, just be there for him. Be there for him and don't break into frustration or anger. He needs someone close right now, someone who understands him and who knows, maybe you two can help each other..