1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Affection towards friends

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Dec 24, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is for the guys (but certainly not excluding the girls).. :slight_smile:

If/when you send cards, e-mails etc. to gay male friends do you sign "with love", or do you worry that it would be misconstrued and complicate things between you? Also, when you meet, greet or say goodbye to your gay male friends, do you hug and kiss? Do you behave differently towards your straight friends?

Just wondering.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not really that kinda guy :lol: letters or emails to anybody I normally end with "hope to hear from you soon" and online communication with cya or something similar. It's not that I'm worried about miscommunication, it's just not me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And I don't kiss anybody. And only hug when somebody hugs me and it would be rude not too :lol: Most of the people that hug me are straight girls but there's thus one straight guy that does :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I sign it with Best Wishes or Kind Regards..., we don't have a culture of kissing in Vietnam... but I don't treat gay friends different from my straight ones... there's just too much insinuated awkwardness when you do.

4. Joelouis

A few friends are the "huggy" sort, and they're considered straight.
    Yes, I do hug some friends but mostly it's just "See ya!" or "Right, take it easy mate!"

I do usually kiss the cheek of lots of girlfriends though, and they kiss eachother too.

One friend, funnily enough, has the goodby ritual of punching us in the arm playfully.
    Just where that started I've no idea.

5. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depend on the friend

6. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always put love, and even kisses, on the end of my letters, texts and emails. My straight friends send them too - maybe they're just used to my ways. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: All my friends hug each other, it's nice. I think we're just comfortable and know that there's no romantic feelings going on there.

7. ZestyLion

I don't really do that since my friends know that I'm gay and it's in my personality to flirt with everybody. I always tell my friends (even guys) that I love them, and they know I'm probably not serious. And if I am, they don't realize :icon_wink

But seriously, I wouldn't worry about it. Just let your personality take control, and if someone takes it the wrong way, just explain it to them. That's all I can say.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone these days seems to have trouble with the word "love", I think everyone should just relax, it can be used if there is genuine affection, it should not be construed as a betrothal.

One of the more delightful aspects that I discovered upon coming out and making gay friends is that, yes indeed, we often hug and kiss when we greet or say goodbye :grin: I love that! Another Advisor here, Filip, once described a party where there were both straight and gay friends, and he enjoyed the spectacle of straight guys trying to fit in and awkwardly leaning forward to give each other two- or three-cheek pecks...:grin:

9. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I never use the words "with love" or anything (unless the person happened to be my lover, in that case "I love you" would be used) so yeah..

And I HATE touchy-feely things.. Unless you're my lover I don't want to be hugging and kissing all the time.

I believe in the Japanese way of greeting with a bow and "hello".

10. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    most I would put All The Best i do have a best friend ( female) always put love you loads but she knows it`s the friendship love I would do anything for her Within Reason .

11. soulcatcher

I mostly agreed with you.

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm quite affectionate towards my friends, but not as affectionate as I would act towards a girlfriend.

13. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To answer your questions...
    1. I sign emails and letters with "Sincerely", and I tend to leave texts hanging if I need to go offline(if the other person says they need to go, or if I'm just bored of the conversation, I usually say "Bye" or "See ya"), so there would be nothing to misconstrue.
    2. I'm not a very affectionate person, so I wouldn't do that to anyone.
    3. I don't treat my friends differently based on their sexuality; I base it on how close our friendship is, their personalities, and their opinions.

#13 An Gentleman, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  14. MisterTinkles

I have never been a "huggy, kissy" type person.

Although I do love hugs, they are for solid affection or for a thank you. But they are rare.

As far as emails, cards, and letters go...........if they are close to me, I sign "Hugs" and then my name.

Anybody else just gets my name as a sign off.

15. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

On letters I tend to end with "Love" but in person I don't really hug guys accept for a few friends and one of my male gay friends but we're all used to saying we love one another as friends, we all say "you know I love you!" All the time and things along that line with males and females, Straight Gay or lesbian for me it doesn't make a difference!

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great question.

It depends on the culture I'm dealing with.

Here, in the U.S., I will not use "love" or "with love" generously. Mostly, it will be "your friend, " or "your cousin, " and, with a few women I exchange writings with at holidays or birthdays, we have signed off with "love, " for a long time, yet it is more of a deep fondness. Lots and lots of "love," signatures in my high school and college yearbooks. I have also signed off with "fondly," if more personal, and "sincerely," if more business like.

For other cultures, I will use words which might imply an embrace or something along those lines that would be more culturally normative.

The same would be true with physical demonstrations of affection. Here in the U.S., everyone hugs, especially in states which have a reputation for being more casual and which have more immigrants. A hug is typically the way I would greet a gay friend. Now, some of my straight friends are hugging, as in more of a bear hug, and sort of putting their arm around your shoulder when they first see you, after not having seen you for a long time. It was sort of a watershed event here in the U.S. when you began to see the congratulatory hugging at the Presidential inaugurations. Damn, it was about time people got less uptight and celebrated a victory of those sorts with more than a sterile handshake.

17. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I generally use "love" in signing off letters or email--except, of course, professional correspondence. I tend to go with whatever other people do when greeting or leaving friends. Most of my gay friends hug and kiss--more and more so do my straight friends. I actually have several clients who will hug me upon departing--mainly women, but not entirely. The women will often kiss me on the cheek. While I find this touching in the abstract, in the actual event I find it rather awkward. But as far as friends go, I'm all up for hugs and kisses.

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hardly express actual affection towards friends at all. But I wish it were more accepted because I totally would. There aren't a lot of people I invest emotion in. But the ones I do are the recipients of a lot. <3