1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regret of coming out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MissRanger, Dec 25, 2014.

1. MissRanger

MissRanger Guest

Has anyone here who've been out to someone regrets it a little? A portion of me regrets it. I have this notion that I'm obliged to be a better person to prove that I am no lesser of a human-being just because of my identity. There's this constant paranoia that I have to represent myself as "perfect" to avoid giving the LGBT group a bad reputation. Sometimes it can be tiring to live it up these expectations. Also it might sound ridiculous because no one asked me to.

Has anyone felt this way? If you regret coming out a bit what are some of your reasons?

2. Haley M

Haley M Guest

I have 2 friends whom which are married. I came out to one of them (the girl) as "curious to try girls clothes" hoping that it was a good start to leading me towards coming out as trans. She helped me buy some clothes and kept it all a secret which was great. Eventually she wanted me to tell her husband which at the time was my best friend. I did tell him that I liked wearing girls clothes. So since they both knew they told me they were ok with it. I was sooo happy that I might actually be going forward with the whole thing! But then they both told me that they never wanted to see me dressed like a girl for fear that it could ruin the current friendship. After that I was a little crushed. We talked about it maybe one more time since then but now every time I saw them there would be awkward silence. I feel like it's the elephant in the room. So I do regret telling them all of that and I don't really see them anymore. Although we are still friends, we are not as close as we once were. Since all of this, I have made new friends and all is ok but that situation is always in the back of my mind.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I sort of regret it. My mom told a few other people without my permission, which bothered me a lot. Also I feel sort of uncomfortable and exposed telling her all this personal stuff about me (we had a big talk about it). Plus I still feel like she doesn't get it, and there's a ton of awkwardness whenever we try to talk about it now, to the point where I'm too scared to really tell her what I need or start my transition at all.

4. shostakobitch

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I regret it, because in hindsight, i didn't come out to the right person, really.

After spending 6 weeks with this person at a summer camp, being with them 24/7, I thought I knew him well enough to tell him I was pansexual. He is gay, and I thought he would be much more understanding than my other friend who was like "are you sure it's not a phase". Anyway, I told him, and he was like "WHAT?! are you serious! I had no idea. you totally can't tell at all. EW YOU LIKE THEM?! WHY THEM?!"

Anyway, even though that wasn't the worst reaction I could have gotten, it definitely made things very weird between us, seeing as he (and every single other person) thought I was straight. We never talk now, and it seems silly that I've now lost a really great friend because my decision to come out to him made things way, WAY too awkward for us to be bffls. Oops.

I don't, however, regret telling the only other person i've told, and I couldn't be more thankful that I have them in my life.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Even though my coming out process has been bad and not good I don't regret it .

6. Notlad

Well, I haven't talked to my parents about it, and my brother in law and the siblings that know have been awfully loud about it.

I don't regret it yet, but I will if the worst happens and something slips and my parents find out.

7. CyanChachki

Of course. Many of my friends stopped being friends with me, some of my family doesn't want to speak with me and I had a terrible, terrible time in HS. Most of all, I regretted telling my mom but she's pretty cool with it now.

8. gayer axolotl

Regret it all

9. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

I regret coming of at fourteen to my family because they all doubted me. That's a big reason I have HOCD now. Now I hate that they know my sexuality because I'm also doubting it. I wish people could never know that I doubt my sexuality. It's super embarrassing.

10. Saultsj

Saultsj Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    After I came out to my sister I kinda regretted it. She didn't take it badly although she wasn't extremely supportive. I'm not really close with my sister so it felt really weird telling her my sexual preference. I didn't really think about it, I just told her. I regret it now not for any real reason, I just feel a bit weird about it.

11. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I regret coming out to my mom. It made me go back in the closet. We never talk about it but every now and then she brings it up in a derogatory context like "As long as you marry a man" or "lesbians are disgusting" and my favourite "I've made out with girls... In a bar... When the boys were watching." It bothers me but there's no use arguing anymore. I used to believe that she would maybe accept it one day but now I highly doubt it.

I regret coming out to a few of my friends too because I feel embarrassed. And since I've told them I hardly see them.

12. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

I regret that some people exist, but not coming out no.

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know the jumping into the cold pool feeling? Like someone pushed you in the hard part is over? No, it's just begun. It was is if I jumped back out of the pool and I never even got in with my parents...

14. jAYMEGURL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Miss Ranger;

The only regret I have about COMING OUT that I didn't do this sooner, but then again,
    I wish I had been gentler about this with my Mom.

Jaymegurl

15. C P

C P

I haven't yet, but I know i would regret it at this point; heck, the thought of doing so fills me will regret

16. emmyee

emmyee Guest

No regrets so far, but I haven't come out to my homophobic father yet, so I might have regrets about that if I don't think it through really well first.