1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

better to change labels or wait 'till you're sure?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by shostakobitch, Dec 25, 2014.

1. shostakobitch

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In your personal opinion, if one is romantically, emotionally, and physically attracted to the same sex, is it better to come out when you're ready as gay or lesbian and maybe face problems with potentially "switching labels" to bi or pan or something else if you end up falling for someone of the opposite sex, or is it better not to define your sexuality immediately and wait a while until you've had time to potentially experience anything?

2. silentscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel like people should say whatever makes them most comfortable. You can also always add questioning for some clarity. Plus, even if you feel totally sure you might discover you were off.

I thought I was bisexual for a while so that's what I told people. Turned out I'm gay-but-anything-can-happen. Except I just go with gay.

3. lyjo

I guess it depends on the people you want to come out to. If they're homophobic, it's probably better to be sure before saying anything. When I first came out, I just said I'm not straight. :slight_smile:

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I say to wait til your sure .

5. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

I'm having this dillema right now. I kind of feel like I want to come out, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm super scared that I'll have to change my label if I end up falling for a guy. I'm starting to think I'll never be sure. I either have to live with possibly having to change my label one day or stay in the closet. I'm kind of out to some people, but I wish I never came out to them. I wish I could just be 100% gay and 100% sure of it. I'm starting to get tempted to become religious and forget about my stupid sexuality.

6. CyanChachki

Do as you feel. If you want to go out and explore a little more then do just that. If you don't feel that it's for you, then that's just fine too.

7. Notlad

You don't have to explain anything to anyone. It's whatever you're comfortable with.

8. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told a few people I was bi until I realized I wasn't bi, so I then told them that other than Jennifer Lawrence I really didn't see myself with a girl

9. anniebunnie

anniebunnie Guest

If a person is unsure but still wants to come out maybe use an umbrella term..?