1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best countries for gay men?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FANTIE, Dec 26, 2014.

1. FANTIE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    At least top 5.
    What I am looking for is: more respect for femininity (I am in between, but bit more feminine), more acceptance etc.

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Probably Sweden, Finland or a country like that.

Japan has a lot of acceptance for feminity in men, but gay people there are not usually really out and everywhere, most people don't talk about their sexuality.

3. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Canada. Everything is legal and accepted by the majority of the population. Allowed to marry, adopt, serve in the armed forces, change your gender, full protection under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, etc. Discrimination is illegal here. If someone were to fire you because you're trans, they'll probably get a summary conviction and you will win in the courts.

You can be so feminine you can become a woman up here, and it's accepted by at least 85% of the population.

Four of our six political parties fully support LGBT rights (one of which is the Official Opposition) and have members that are LGBT in the party in the House of Commons.

Just stay away from rural Alberta. It's our Texas.

I'm an expert on LGBT rights in Canada and Canadian Law in general. Any questions, let me know!

4. MouseKeeper

If you're not in the US, stay out. I am Apatriotic which means I have a lack of patriotic feelings for my country. We're getting better, but we're still waiting for the remaining laughable homophobic majority to either die out or repent of their homophobic ways and accept us. It's kind of sad that homophobia still exists due to the ignorant prejudice of religious extremism.

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. WearyWanderer

A lot of the Western countries are pretty accepting, and many Latin American nations and South Africa have same-sex marriage.

7. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Agreed. America is not accepting, be it towards homosexuality, trans people, feminine men (I myself belonging to all those categories), or really anything different.

But this thread is about good countries for gay men, not bad ones.

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's funny how different people's perspectives are. While the US certainly has some room for improvement in the grand scheme of things I really think it's one of the better ones--possibly not the top five (I mean Scandinavia takes 4 slots). I've been very openly out of over 20 years, lived in a variety of places, visited a lot more and never really experienced much in the way of pushback within the US. There are certainly a lot of worse places to be gay.

9. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd say Canada and Nordic countries.

10. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Really, because I've gotten so many Americans say "kill yourself, faggot" than anyone else. Many reports of violent attacks against gays are also from America.
    It's not the worst country to be gay, but certainly nowhere near the best.

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2014 at 05:04 AM ----------

I'd switch Japan and USA's places on here. American locals are more hostile while Japanese tend not to give a fuck.
    Neither are perfectly accepting to be called "best for gays" though.

#10 NingyoBroken, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2014
  11. FANTIE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In which state do you actually live? If you don't mind?

---------- Post added 26th Dec 2014 at 12:28 PM ----------

Useless information, this is probably based on laws rather then society acceptance Albania was already claimed as the most homophobic country of Europe and it's on top 40. While Spain is the least homophobic county and it's NOT EVEN on the list.

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Netherlands.

13. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

France and Germany are also considered gay friendly countries :slight_smile:

14. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

While you are a self proclaimed expert, I take issue with proclaiming Texas to be anti gay. In politics, it seems the youth have consistently forgotten to vote. All the while, a good chunk of the state has moved on. I have lived in several cities here and will say I have had nothing but indifference and or acceptance. The reverse may still very well true in rural areas though. I have spent time in rural Texas and never ran around screaming I was gay. In some of these places, the girls just learned that I wasn't going home with them. I liked to drink with guys and that was it. All I know about Canada is what was portrayed in trailer park boys. And with that, I conclude my typing.

15. Psaurus918

Living in NY Upstate seems pretty split. I don't think I've ever seen a gay couple holding hands walking down the street and I've heard some horrible anti gay remarks about people who aren't even out.

Now downstate (NYC) is like being in a whole other state. I've seen gay couples walking down the street holding hands, cuddling on benches, hugging/kissing without even the slightest dirty look. Of coarse NYC isn't completely homophobic free its probably one of the better cities in the US (that I've been to at least).

16. One Man Army

The UK is pretty good. That's not to say that you won't have to deal with homophobia. We have our fair share of ignorant pricks, but on the whole, people are accepting and won't give you any trouble.

17. soulcatcher

Canada, UK, Australia, Spain, Germany, France and Italy.

#17 soulcatcher, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  18. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was a joke, sheesh. Though rural Alberta is very similar to rural places in the South. Mostly Christian, somewhat anti-gay, pro-gun, etc.

#18 Jakob, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  19. WearyWanderer

I think it really depends on where you are in the US, and also whether you live in a city or rural area. No doubt that quite a few Americans are homophobic, but a growing majority in this country has become accepting.

20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've heard Israel from those living there.