1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barefooted

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Dec 26, 2014.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Hi guys :slight_smile:

Is it considered bad manners to be barefooted at home in America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Europe?

In Asia (and also Africa I think), it is expected for family members to be barefooted. And I am always barefooted at home.

Are you usually barefooted at home? :slight_smile:

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's generally not rude here in Florida to do it in one's own house or that of friends. In public (outside of swimming related activities) is apparently a capital no-no though. -.-

3. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yea what he said not totally sure about the friends house

4. SomeLeviathan

I usually walk around barefoot at my home. at a dorm I at the very least put on socks before walking anywhere but prefer slippers. I would feel uncomfortable being bear foot at someone else's house if it was a causal thing. I don't really see the need to take off socks n' such.

5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I don't know, but in America strangers always walk in the house with shoes, I find it disgusting and rude..

In Japan, people often wear socks or/and slippers, (or barefoot) in their houses, and have slippers at the door for guests to wear.

6. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm often barefoot at home, yes. My house has a mix of bare floor, carpet, and stone, and frankly, socks are ruined by walking on carpet frequently. I wear socks in the house during the colder months, however. My parents don't care--their only rule is no shoes in the house.

I think it would be odd to be barefoot in someone else's house unless everyone else was.

7. Silver Springs

In Australia one usually removes their shoes at the door.

8. Acm

Acm Guest

I go barefoot in my house but not in other people's houses.

9. Nord

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who is from California but also lived in France as well, I can say barefoot is usually not acceptable, though in some family circles it may be okay for just themselves. No shoes and just socks however, usually is not that much of an issue. In fact sometimes, and again depending on who it is, may ask for shoes off.

10. CyanChachki

I'm from British Columbia and I've never heard of it being rude to go barefooted. I walk around my home all day without socks or shoes and people have come over without any on. Normally though, it is polite to wear socks when you're going to someone's house but it's not a rule or law either.

11. Rainbows~Exist

Here in the UK we don't tend to generally wear shoes around the house. Some people wear socks or go barefoot instead (or wear slippers).

12. Jellal

I always go barefoot when I'm indoors at my house or over at a friend's, but I at least put on some kind of footwear for outdoors cause I don't want to step on something sharp.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend not to leave my bedroom barefoot. It feels really informal (and extremely presumptuous if not invited) to take shoes off in someone else's house.

I would feel uncomfortable being asked to remove (clean) shoes when going into someone's house, but I would comply, especially if it's a household in which it's traditional to do so such as with a Japanese family. It'd be particularly bad if no house sandals/slippers were offered.

Save for children, telling someone to remove their shoes (unless they're dirty) seems demeaning and unfriendly. When it's compulsory to be barefoot, that is. If it's just "let loose and you don't have to wear shoes", then that seems fine.

Much like refusing to offer a drink to someone, I think having a barefoot policy so you don't have to clean as often is just unpleasantly miserly.

14. beyourself

beyourself Guest

Me and my friends are usually barefoot/without shoes in the household. I personally don't like it when people don't remove their dirty shoe.

15. gayer axolotl

Most houses I go to, I cant imagine not wearing shoes. Floors are fuckin nasty, like even thick socks feel ruined immediately. Cant stand the thought of that on feet, plus there are so many sticker burrs and splinters and shit it is just easier to leave shoes on. Unless it is the first time at someones house and idk how they feel and their carpet seems nice still, if they have carpet.

16. gayer axolotl

I dont care what people do at my house unless the shoes are wet or muddy

17. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  18. poppet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Where I live in Australia no one wears shoes inside their homes. When you visit someone, it's polite to take them off at the door unless they tell you to keep them on.

19. poppet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Where I live in Australia no one wears shoes inside their homes. When you visit someone, it's polite to take them off at the door unless they tell you to keep them on.

20. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm. According to the Australian responses to this thread, I'm clearly not Australian.