1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smiling unnecessarily

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Dec 27, 2014.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Hello guys :slight_smile:

I have mentioned that I have social anxiety in another thread.

One of my symptoms is that I tend to smile awkwardly out of a sudden (because my anxiety rises too fast).

This happens when I walk past people, look at them directly or even when entering a room with people - regardless of whether its a group of people or single person.

It worsens if people happen to look at me. I always worry what will others think of me when I smile unnecessarily. (Like I am mentally unstable or something)

What will you think of the person if you see him smiling awkwardly out of the blue in public?
    1. If he is a stranger to you
    2. If he is your friend/relative/family member

Do you think people will be interested to make friends with such a guy?

Do you think this symptom can be cured?

2. tulipinacup

I think people have their own way on how to handle social anxiety or social interactions and smiling is just one of them. Whenever I have my anxiety, I tend to give off too much eye contact to the person I'm talking to and so it ends up getting really awkward though I am working on it.

If I see someone smiling out of nowhere, I wouldn't have reaction to it at all. If the person is a stranger to me, I would just think that he seems to be a friendly person. If it's a friend or relative I'll try to ask why the sudden smile.

I do think that you smiling could give a positive vibe from people and if you do want it to get "cured" try talking while doing it. A simple "hey" or "how's it going?" could do the trick.

3. CyanChachki

I'm kind of oblivious to things so chances are, I wouldn't notice. If I happen to, I would think that the person was either nervous or happy.

4. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

I've said this before and I will say it here again: Smiles are sexy. Smiles are hot. Smiles are the universal sign of happiness and they have the effect of transmitting part of that happiness to others too. You don't need a reason to smile. Smiles don't have to be "necessary." If you ever feel like smiling, for whatever reason, that's all the justification you need. No one will hold it against you (quite the opposite in my experience), and if they do they are the weirdos.

I don't know a single person that "dislikes" smiles.

The only times when smiling would stand out in a negative way is if you are at a crime scene of a horrible murder or a funeral or something like that.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The idea of a smile being unnecessary just seems strange to me--most people smile because they are happy and/or friendly. I smile at strangers--not because I'm anxious but because I'm happy and friendly. The idea that someone would take that in a bad way never really occurred to me.

6. beyourself

beyourself Guest

Second that. And I like people smiling and as long as you don't feel strange smiling why should you try to stop it?

7. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Thank you for your responses guys :slight_smile:

8. Aura

I think if he was a stranger he'd make me happy bc it's always good and warm to see someone smiling, even if it's out of the blue. And I'd definitely be interested in becoming a friend of his. Plus I always try to smile at people when they walk by, maybe not for the same reason, but when a stranger smiles back it literally makes my day. And if he was a friend of mine I'd just be happy he was in my life, regardless of what he does. I dont know much, in fact I don't really know anything, about social anxietys. And I'm sure they're not fun to have but I don't think smiling is a 'symptom' that needs to be cured, no matter what the cause is. But again I'm not so fluent in anxieties.(*hug*)

9. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I smile for seemingly no reason all the time. And people always ask 'Why are you smiling?' or 'What are you thinking about?' In such instances I may or may not tell them the reason, depending on what it is. But I never stop myself from doing it, because frankly, why shouldn't I freely express my happiness?

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do it myself sometimes, and it doesn't bother me when other people do it. Sometimes I think it can be hard to help.

11. TheStormInside

Of all the things you could do due to anxiety, smiling is probably one of the best. When you smile you give off positivity and appear friendly. If I see someone smiling randomly I either think they are trying to greet me/be friendly or they are thinking of something humorous, perhaps. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you find yourself smiling at wildly inappropriate times like when someone is crying/at a funeral/etc.

I have social anxiety, too, and I tend to freeze up, avoid eye contact, go nearly silent when anxious. Be glad that your SA makes you appear so cheerful! :lol:

12. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    is it natural looking smiling or rather forced?

I have read that stress can generate an awkward smile - it is a sort of defensive action (like dogs "bearing their teeth" at another dog)

13. Magnemma

Magnemma Guest

If i saw a person smiling awkwardly in public i would smile back at them, i wouldn't think it was anything weird. Even if its an unnatural smile i would take it as a nice impulse. I have a friend, Leila, she laughs when ever you say something serious or when you talk about death, none takes it personally because we know that thats just her way of coping with uncomfortable situations.

14. Psaurus918

I do the same exact thing. Sometimes it can be really embarrassing but after years of doing it I gave up caring what others might think

15. Candace

I do the same thing sometimes. I try to just look apathetic and smile if the other person smiles as well.

16. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Thanks for your responses guys :slight_smile:

17. Justinian20

I would definitely like a guy who actually smiles but for me it's the opposite people keep asking what's wrong and telling me to smile more. I'm thinking like "God damn you asking me stupid things." But now I actually smile and it tends to honestly bring people to talk to me. I am actually surprised by people actually wanting to talk to me but I'm not the guy who talks about life with others unless you talk about it and show interest in it. I usually talk about history and other topics like that, just cause most people like history. It's funny when I talk all excitedly about this stuff, I go on and on about history and that's me going like all excited

18. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

It's a little freaky if you smile randomly, especially in the wrong situation.. But I'm sure it is just me who thinks so

19. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Besides when I'm happy, I smile when I'm lying or really nervous.

20. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm almost always pleased to see people smiling. I try to smile back. Although I tend to have a neutral expression when I'm busy. If you were nervous, I could probably tell. I wouldn't think you're crazy because I kind of understand it.

I also worry about people thinking I'm crazy. Especially because my face goes red when I talk about some morbid things. To the extent that I sometimes avoid discussing subjects such as history, unless everyone understands my enthusiasm. It helps to remember that people are usually more interested in their own lives.