1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do if your friends/family found your Empty Closets account?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Anongirl123

What would you do if your friends or family members ever found your Empty Closets account? Just curious.

I don't know what I would do. One of my huge regrets is that these past four months or so, I've gone to several different online forums as a source of support for 'life problems' (I know, I don't have a real therapist) - namely the whole issue of being gay. Basically, I've spouted way too much personal information about myself. If someone who knew me ever saw this account, they would probably be able to tell it was me within five minutes. I feel like such an idiot.

It makes me kind of paranoid to say the least. I don't know what would be worse: my family looking at my online history, or my youtube history and seeing all the lesbian youtubers I watch. It really sucks that internet forums don't let you edit your posts - everything you write seems to be set in stone for the rest of internet history :eek: - but what can you do? It almost seems like Empty Closets has become a skeleton in my closet (pun)

Do you have any online 'skeletons', particularly in regards to being gay?

2. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nothing. It's none of their business what I get up to online as long as I'm not causing harm to anyone. The chances of someone who I know ever finding this forum as well as my profile and deducing that it was me are pretty slim so I'm not too worried for their sakes (They'd probably get pretty upset but that's their problem)

Also, seeing as you mentioned being paranoid and your browsing history I'd recommend using the incognito window when browsing LGBT related stuff and coming on here.

3. Mickz

I have so many online Skeletons :confused: and luckily this is the only gay forum I am on and my family wouldn't be caught dead on one, so I'm safe. But if they did find it, honestly I'll cry.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only one who has caught me thought I was gay.

"I'm not the letter you think I am".

B?

"no"

Then what?

"t".

And she proceeded to hug me tightly and has been a great friend.

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Family: Probably curl up into a ball and try to blend in the wall.
    Others: I'd say some comment like what did you expect to find snooping through my stuff?

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd be mortified if they looked deeply into my posting history, but otherwise after the initial panic I think I'd be relieved. I want to be out.

7. Anongirl123

Thanks for the tip. I do that on my phone (not so much my personal laptop because no one uses it). The thing I'm worried about most though is the internet forums. Like I said, very, very few forums allow you to edit or delete details from a post without some lengthy administrator involvement (only reddit I think). And if you have multiple threads/posts you don't like? Forget about it. So it basically feels like it's there forever, just waiting to be stumbled upon.

Usually I don't think about it. But when I start to, I get this weird, creeped out feeling.

8. Psaurus918

Most of my family members aren't really computer savvy. They use Facebook and Google but I doubt they would even know where to begin about tracking someone down and seeing what forums they frequent.

There are a couple friends that don't know I'm gay and I'm not sure when I want to tell them and I'd get nervous if they see that I'm on this site but at the same time it would take care of me having to tell them LOL.

The only thing I worry about is someone from high school seeing it. I wasn't popular in school and I feel like its possible that an old classmate would do something malicious if they found out.

9. Anongirl123

Hey, maybe you should 'accidentally' leave a "how to come out" search on your family computer :wink:

10. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

My mom knows about the site and so does my sister, so yea? But she actually just asked me about the site a couple days ago by she I mean my mom. When I came out to her I also told her about the site and made it perfectly clear that this site is about as safe as you can be, let her read the code of conduct and she kind of said ok then just be careful. My friend did see it a While after I joined because I was using it like right in front of him -.- I told him I was looking for shoes…never asked again :lol:

11. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't live with my parents anymore. The closest I've done is leave my computer unlocked and EC open every day when I go to work. My parents stop by when I'm not here a few times per year but I don't think they have ever touched my computer. I'm such a coward...I don't know why I don't just tell them directly already.

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because it's difficult to come out to parents.

I'm out and well... It's not like a dream come true.

13. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

"Oh by the way, this is the LGBT+ community I'm part of. Great lot on there."

"Also, how the fuck did you figure out my password? What ARE you doing on my computer in MY flat anyway?"

14. SilencedMelody

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If someone found my account, to be honest I'd probably go into full panic mode and make up some weird excuse that no one would believe. Then I'd hide in my room and turn my music up really loud (my natural method of defense)

15. AKTodd

Since I've already told pretty much all of them about my being here, it would probably consist of 'Oh, yeah - this is the place I told you about. Pretty neat, huh?'

Todd

16. ChameleonSoul

I'd probably say something like "So...um...I have something to tell you...".

17. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would just laugh. I constantly put my foot in my mouth. I told my religious grandmother that the Marquis de Sade's work is better than 50 shades of grey. It would take a lot to beat that level of awkward.

My parents know me pretty well. They don't call me the Tigershark for nothing.

My friends wouldn't be shocked at all. Actually, they know more details.

Also, if somebody brings it up, you can ask them what they were doing looking up LGBT forums. I wouldn't necessarily think it meant they were LGBT, but it could be a little suspicious.

18. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad wouldn't take any notice. Most of my family would incorrage it. My friends would be happy except my church who would hate me forever.

19. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't want people I know IRL finding me on here, which is in part why I don't post certain information on EC (although the pics of my dog would give it away). I come on here at times to talk about people in my life, and I wouldn't want people seeing what I say.

20. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would panic. The whole queer thing wouldn't be the main problem though.

I've been writing quite a lot about my relationship to a certain someone, and nothing good could ever come out of people in my life knowing about it. It could potentially hurt her, and I would probably have to change schools or something...

Then there are some other personal things (mainly mental health issues) that I haven't told anyone about, but written about here. I guess I could benefit from people knowing about that though, even though it's embarrassing.

I swear though, if someone who knew me would found my account, they would know it's me for sure.