1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe I'm the only one

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Randomcloud, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Randomcloud

Who really does not enjoy being labelled as "queer". When I was younger and bullies suspected I was gay, they used "queer" as an insult. Because once upon a time it was a derogatory word. And I kind of flinch when people call me that just because they are comfortable using that term to describe themselves. Is that unreasonable?

2. Rainbows~Exist

Since the definition of 'queer' is something that's strange or out of the ordinary then like you I don't like being labelled as it. We're all equal as humans so labeling the lgbt community as being queer implies that we are different from the rest of the World. Personally I think it is a very old-fashioned way of describing any form of homosexuality and needs to stop being used to describe us :/

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on the situation for me. It depends on if it is said horribly or not

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The context of the way the word was used is key, as it is for a lot of terms, such as gay, queer, and homosexual. If the terms are used for slander or for purposes of dehumanizing a person, it's not okay. However, if it is used in a purely scientific or academic language, or it is trying to be "reclaimed" of some sorts, I'm all for it.

5. Randomcloud

I mean even as a descriptor by the LGBT+ community. Like how some lesbians refer to themselves as "dykes". If you like these labels, go ahead and use them for yourselves, I just feel uncomfortable when people slap the label on me and assume I'm fine with it. I don't know...

I hadn't even considered that but that's a good point too..there are probably better words that don't imply such segregation

6. C P

C P

I haven't really heard the word used much personally to have more of a feeling about it, though it doesn't even sound appealing to begin with. In that sense I can agree with not liking it.

I personally do not like the word 'gay' but, hey, what can ya do...

7. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not the only one, Randomcloud. I don't refer to myself as Queer and I wouldn't call anyone else that unless they specifically asked me to. I've heard it be used as a slur too many times. Plus as the poster above said, it means 'strange'- and in my opinion there's nothing queer about being Queer. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not just you, I don't like it either. I know some gay people are fine with it and even use it themselves, but it doesn't sit well with me.