1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fat Acceptance: Helpful or Hurtful?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tabitha, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha Guest

So here's an interesting thought.

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Fat Acceptance Movement but I think the idea behind it is pretty self explanatory.

How fat is too fat? Is it our business to be worried about someone else's health or should we just let that individual decide what makes them happy, regardless of the consequences?

Personally, I've been attracted to people as big as 400 and 500 lbs. Should I feel guilty for finding people that size appealing, knowing that they will inevitably have health problems in the near future?

Your thoughts!

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We shouldn't shame fat people, but we can't pretend that being fat is good or healthy, and encourage healthy eating, smaller portions and less inactivity.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

To put it simply:

Love and support the individual, but if they are capable of remedying their physical condition, then they should. There is a certain point where, no matter how accepting you are of somebody, their health is going to jeopardize a few things.

However, that said, nobody should be forced to do anything they don't want to, with their own body. But they should know, and willingly accept, the consequences of their decisions. If they want to complain about their weight, but do nothing to change this, they're being part of the problem.

I used to be borderline obese, but I stopped that, before it became a severe problem. Sure, it's easier said than done, but it can be done. Eat smaller portions or healthier, walk a little bit more in a day, and so on and so forth. There are things one can do -- IF they want to. Some folks, though, just become a self-fulfilling prophecy, and decide to do the easier thing, which is to accept things as they are, and roll with the punches.

I'll admit, I've seen "bigger" folks who, for one reason or another, come off as attractive. And if they want to be like that, fine, so be it. But if they are merely accepting their situation, well, that's something totally different...

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I think people should just let others do what they want. It's their choice and their future health problems

5. Tabitha

Tabitha Guest

Growing up in the south, I'm sure you can relate! There are a HUGE (no pun intended) amount of people in the American south that are obese. It's unavoidable.

One person that is in the front of my mind is a girl I went to high school with, Amanda. She was always drop dead gorgeous but very big. Just caught up with her the other day and she's over 500 lbs now - and still beautiful! I had conflicted opinions about it. She looks amazing but she can't walk/stand up for more than maybe 10 minutes at a time? And she's 30 years old.

Every time I've voiced concern to her she just takes it as a joke though. So, I guess she's just accepted her weight! I'm not so sure that I would, to be honest. Especially at that size. It must be staggering.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You see, that's sad. I take a live and let live approach, and I won't lecture people if I think they are making bad lifestyle choices, because at the end of the day it's their problem, not mine, but it's still sad to see someone struggling to walk or stand, and at such a young age, wasting the prime of their life. Just sad.

I hope she can do something about it before it's too late. My grandmother is obese at 75 and it almost kills her at times, and she's too old to do much about it now because she has bad arthritis and angina.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In an ironic twist of "love the sinner/hate the sin," we need to love the person and recognize their weight as a problem. So instead of "fat shaming" or "fat acceptance" we need to promote good health and only minimally let acceptance get in the way.

I'm not advocating we push comments like "you should go to the gym" or anything like that. In a way we already have an ideal environment-- obesity is discouraged, yet it is exceedingly impolite to comment on someone's weight, which lets overweight people handle their problem and maintain their dignity.

**It is somewhat possible to be large and healthy. If somebody is chubby by choice, more power to them. Some people do look good that way. :slight_smile:

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think fat acceptance should be similar to how society already views thin acceptance: accepting all HEALTHY body types.

But most people need to remember that a specific type of weight doesn't necessarily mean unhealthiness. Yes, I can understand how accepting extreme level obesity is a problem, but not all overweight/chubby people are unhealthy, yet they are bashed with this being the only excuse of why It's wrong. Weight can be genetic too, not always caused by a poor diet.

Thin people can also be very very very unhealthy, people who are so extremely thin that you see their ribs and bones are just as bad as overly obese people and nobody says anything about them. And even an 'average' thin looking person can be unhealthy. Best example: Me. I look average weight but I also have a very high metabolism; I eat nothing but junk and I don't exercise. I am risking my health. I know this and try to improve but the point is that nobody says anything to me because they see my weight (even if they know my diet style) and think "oh okay you're good". Which is silly because I know 'fat' people who are 100x more healthy than I am. But nobody cares about that really...which makes me think the 'healthy' excuse is just that- an excuse because these people think 'fat' people are ugly and gross; they don't actually care about their health. If they did, they would condemn me for being unhealthy as well but they don't because my weight is still considered attractive to many.

So what I think about fat acceptance is not really 'accepting unhealthy' behavior but teaching people that if they're overweight and healthy, It's okay, they're not ugly and we shouldn't have to hold others to unrealistic standards. Like I said, Fat =/= Unhealthy and Thin =/= Healthy all of the time.

#8 Fallingdown7, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  9. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    yeeesssssss :eusa_clap

SING IT

10. 741852963

On this theme, I really do think theres a point when the "their body, their choice" argument fails completely.

Extreme obesity can and does affect other people. It is a leading cause of illness and so consequently leads to many people being hospitalized out of their own behaviour and life choices rather than from unavoidable illnesses. More people in hospital means a greater strain on the health service and medical staff being stretched unnecessarily. Clearly if it takes a team of nurses to clean a hospitalized super-obese person compared to a single nurse for a healthy sized person that is going to have a knock-on affect for other patients (longer waiting times or poorer care).

This is particularly the case in countries with public healthcare where the taxpayer is ultimately footing the bill. When you look at the now necessary bariatric services including expensive specialized "super-sized" ambulances (costing more than what regular ambulance would cost due to the increased size and reinforcement), hoists and other equipment (beds, stretchers, MRI machines) it is clear this does cost us all.

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We should accept them but try and help them if they want. If they don't want help, then let them be. But with a lot of obesity acceptance things, I can't help but think that it can go a bit too far. We can't lie to ourselves that being obese is healthy.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People can be fat and healthy, but it's disingenuous to ignore the strong link between obesity and numerous health issues, as well as increased mortality. The same is absolutely true for people who are underweight as well.

And I do find obesity a little disgusting, truth be told. I won't go up to someone and call them disgusting, but no, I don't find it appealing, and seeing a lot of fat people knocking around usually leaves me with a bad impression of that place.

People can do what they like, but obesity to me is not only bad for you, but just looks bad in general.

#12 imnotreallysure, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  13. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm not talking about obesity but overweight people in general (I even stated this above). ALL overweight people are bashed on equally to the same extent and told 'unhealthy/go lose weight". A 140 lb 5'2" person is clinically fat as well, but are they obese/unhealthy? Nope. But they're still fat, and they're still bashed and told the same things.

Nobody is arguing that obesity is good, the problem is that super thin bony people aren't hated nearly as much or held to the same standards even though they're equally at risk for health problems and even death based on their weight. And a slightly underweight person is still revered compared to a slightly overweight person.

This is true especially in regards to women who are held to unrealistic standards. I'm what I consider 'average' weight but I still have to wear a 3X women's shirt, while I can fit into a men's large just fine. Society has really really unrealistic expectations of us and expects women to be bony thin.

14. Tabitha

Tabitha Guest

I can use this girl as a good example. She's actually my favorite "big" model. And she's big!

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/2443446-post7.html

They're almost exactly the same height and weight. Just in case you weren't sure what 500 lbs looked like on a woman. It can be a bit shocking at first glance!

15. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know what, I've had it with being quiet on these topics.

I don't give a damn if someone weighs 500 pounds, or smokes 3 packs of cigarettes per day, or wants to have crack for breakfast every morning - thereby sentencing them to an early death and a fee put to national healthcare and consequently your taxes - this is not a worthy reason to degrade that person, and if you're doing it you deserve nothing but rebuke.

Their choice, end of story. You're nothing more than a pathetic bully. And those are the kindest words I have for you.

#15 Browncoat, Dec 29, 2014
  16. Tabitha

Tabitha Guest

Amen! Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and dignity! (*hug*)

17. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a big difference between respecting a person and respecting their choices. Not every choice is worthy of respect, not by a long shot.

I have to take the "hate the sin/love the sinner" approach to this one. No, it's not an excuse to degrade someone, but that doesn't mean we have to respect everyone's choices. There are bad choices out there and just because it's their own decision doesn't mean we have to sit by and do nothing.

Sometimes "fat acceptance" arises from people who meet so much opposition and hostility that they just decide to "revel" in it and pretend like it's something good, even when they know it's not. It's the same as "pro-ana" websites and "pro-self-harm" websites. People with these problems encounter so much hostility that now they've decided to turn inward and convince themselves that these things are not only acceptable, but are actually great (especially in the case of pro-ana). Even though I think we know deep down they don't actually believe that.

And that right there shows why treating people with these problems like crap is a bad idea. However, it does mean that they are still problems and they shouldn't be ignored.

#17 MintberryCrunch, Dec 29, 2014
  18. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a bit of a difficult topic to really tackle, because I think the paradigm between acceptance and moral intervention is something of a misnomer when understanding obesity in a practical context. There's certainly people who are overweight, and even wandering into obese territory, purely because of lifestyle factors (or even genetics). However, discussions surrounding this tend to be underpinned by extremes, so I suspect the visual we're speculating about isn't necessarily the average joe with a bit of weight around his tummy, but somebody who is morbidly obese to the extent that they're a burden within health and social care, as has been alluded to within people's deductive reasoning already.

With that in mind, I've never met such a person who hasn't gotten in that state because of a pre-existing health condition - usually psychological - that exacerbates an unhealthy lifestyle. My observations, albeit not expert by any stretch of the imagination, are that obesity could be significantly tackled if mental health services were much more widely available within healthcare. Instead, it's mission impossible to get linked into it (and even then you need to be in severe need), and it creates a whole subset of the population who find medication in the form of food, alcohol, drugs etc. It seems like a rather gross misconception that obese people are the way they are because of some sort of happy carefree decision that they have made. In many ways, it appears to be symptomatic of how society fails to care for people whose symptoms aren't physical. It also doesn't help that some medication has side effects related to appetite and weight, thus not really offering a healthcare solution at all (for those fortunate enough to even be seen by somebody).

So, again with that in mind, I don't really accept or hate 'fat people'. If we're talking about the average joe with a bit of weight attached to them, it's their prerogative and they're not necessarily going to burden public health services any more than people who smoke, drink, consume high quantities of sugar yadda yadda. A bit of education and freewill goes a long way in such cases. If, however, we're talking about more extreme cases, i'd argue it's not about 'accepting' or 'condemning' them, but about understanding what their needs are and where healthcare has failed them. Nobody actively tries to get so large that they're bedridden and become a burden to themselves, their family, and to the local authority. For somebody to get that way, there's an underlying issue that hasn't been dealt with, and the morbid obesity is likely a symptom of that. It's just that we, as a society, seem to elevate that beyond all else and fixate on it somewhat.

19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    why is everyone getting so fret up about fat people being degraded? that isn't what's happening on this particular thread.

People who are slightly overweight actually have low mortality rates, and people who are underweight have higher mortality weights than people who are a little overweight, so being clinically overweight doesn't mean you're going to die or that you're unhealthy, so yes, I agree there. Being thin and bony isn't good either - I mean, I won't degrade someone because of it, but it's just an opposite extreme of the same scale.

#19 imnotreallysure, Dec 29, 2014
  20. 741852963

There is quite a clear difference between "degrading" or shaming someone who is fat (which is bullying and is unacceptable), and tactfully intervening for their own sake and others. Its not about being cruel.

As "nice" as it may sound to say to a 500 pound person "you are beautiful how you are, you don't have to change" that is not the most ethical thing to do.

Its akin to saying to a diabetic person "you like cakes and chocolate? Well I say you only live once, go for it! Have an éclair!".

Well I personally think that would be an incredibly selfish outlook.

Should we not consider the people "sentenced to an early death" because a surgeon was too busy performing gastric band surgery, or because the health service didn't have enough tax money left in the pot to cover their cancer medication due to rapidly increasing bariatric care costs?

You have mentioned smoking, but a key difference here is smoking acts to pay for the damage it causes - cigarettes are heavily taxed (the majority of the retail price is tax here, 77%) and this works to cover some of the cost to the health-service. The same simply cannot be said for junk food/overeating/obesity (or for alcohol use or your other mentioned drug, Crack for that matter).

I'm guessing by the "you're" and "you" that is aimed at me given I was the only one raising points to that effect in the thread.

Please read this post and in future consider holding back insults before you have the bigger picture, or at least quoting the person to allow them to respond and defend themselves.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't view her as a role model for her body, although she might be a lovely person inside.

She is clearly already suffering from the negative effects of obesity (what looks to be poor lymphatic drainage and edema to the lower extremities) and given she is young this is worrying. She is at serious risk of blood infections, DVT and even gangrene/limb loss.

Ultimately she is putting herself at risk of cutting up to 15 years off her life expectancy which is heartbreaking. Given she would already have a BMI of over 80 (defined as super morbidly obese) that is a very serious possibility (healthy being 18-25 give or take for reference).

EDIT: Just to add to what imnotreallysure has posted, I don't believe becoming excessively overweight is always a voluntary choice, it can be the result of difficult underlying psychological problems that the person may not be aware of. That said I still do not believe the answer is to "celebrate" and encourage "acceptance" of this condition - I think a non-judgmental "wake up call" from a doctor, friend or relative is often a unpleasant tasting medicine, but a worthwhile one.

#20 741852963, Dec 29, 2014