1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[A] Lesbian?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miaplacidus, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've noticed that gay guys tend to consider it offensive when the word "gay" is used as a noun, i.e. "He is a gay", preferring it to be used as an adjective, i.e. "He's gay" or "He's a gay man".

However people in general tend to use the word "Lesbian" as a noun ("She's a lesbian") instead of "she's lesbian". Do girls consider this offensive as well?

Personally I use "lesbian" as an adjective in all cases.

2. george678

I dont I use normal vocab I do get annoyed when I hear people say that.

3. I tend to not use lesbian at all. If I'm asking about someone's sexuality and it's a female I just go, "Oh, is she gay?" I never ask if they're a lesbian.

4. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to use 'gay' as well but I don't care if people use 'lesbian' as a noun or adjective. It implies exactly the same thing...a homosexual woman. Big deal.

5. spellbound118

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always tend to use the word gay instead of lesbian..no idea why really. Never really noticed whether people use it as an adjective or noun so can't say it particularly bothers me.

6. Apocalypte

Personally I can't stand the word "lesbian" - and tend to use either "gay" or "queer" as needed.

7. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Lesbian is an adjective and a noun. I don't really mind either but I suppose using it as an adjective is rather more respectful. I'm easy. Put it this way: I'm happy to be a lesbian, lesbian, or gay, but not a gay. lol :wink:

8. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

I say Shes a Lesbian, I dont think Ive ever said shes lesbian and I don't get offended when gay is used as a noun, my friends constantly say to people "He's my Gay" never offended me.

9. MusicIsLife

I have a tendency to use both "shes gay" and "shes a lesbian" but i prefer "dyke", "lesbo", "lezzie", derogatory ones. I feel that people who are anti gay cant use those types of words against me if i already use them to refer to myself :slight_smile: i hope that made sense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

^^ I didn't know lesbo was offensive I'm gonna stop using that one.

11. Absentminded

I personally prefer "gay" or "queer" to lesbian, but I still use it sometimes.

12. NuthinButLuv

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always use gay instead of lesbian as well, but I think that's just because of the way my friends refer to themselves, so I just picked it up. That and I'm also lazy. Gay has less syllables.

I've never known any of my gay female friends be offended by "a lesbian" and some use that to refer to themselves.

I think using gay as a noun makes it seem like a stamp or label defining the person as a whole, like "you're one of those and belong in that group", where as gay as an adjective seems more like you're just describing an attribute of a person (their sexuality), but not really defining that person as a whole.

I don't know if that makes sense or not, but that's how I feel when I hear it. Kind of like she's blonde, or she's a blonde. To me, those have different connotations. One you're associating the person with a stereotype, the other you're just describing her hair.

13. Derek the Wolf

I never thought about it like that. I just say "yeah, he likes guys." I shy away from labels completely. I don't like them. Probably cause that would make me a lot of things that I don't wanna be called.

14. Enaithor

I hate it when people say "he is a gay"
    But "she's a lesbian" is different because it is a lot less likely to be viciously homophobic
    But also just my vocabulary...you can't be lesbian, but you can be a lesbian

15. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use "she's gay", but I prefer "she's a lesbian" to "she's lesbian" it doesn't really matter. "(s)he's a gay" though, that's just weird...

16. Mickey

I use gay and lesbian. Does that make me queer?!

17. jazzrawr

I say "IM A LESBIAN." When i'm trying to get a point across. XD But generally I use gay.

Saying that someone is "a gay" is strange though. I'd never say it.

18. Siateac34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hahah, I don't get offended when people say "a gay" it just sounds odd. It's like saying there's "a pretty" instead of saying "she's / he's pretty"

Lucas.

19. Paralyzer

I like to say lezm because that's how my mom says it since she has speaking problems.. haa :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

She is a lezm, or she is lesbian
    That's how I do it

I used to think lesbian was actually "illesbian" since I would hear "a lesbian" spoken a bit too fast all the time.

20. StandingUp

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I sign lesbian and gay. But there is a different sign for open and closetted. English - I think maybe both adjective and noun. It depends. I think written a lesbian ascribes belonging rather than just lesbian. I don't know