1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

travelling alone....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by flyinhernikes, Dec 30, 2014.

1. of sorts.

ive decided since i read a book and it just made me realise i have to do stuff i want to do and not hold back. so next year im going travelling. (well.... in 1/2 week blocks if that counts) im not scared of bein a woman alone travelling. im more scared of being gay. i just have this overwhelming fear that someone will instantly know and i would get arrested or hurt in some way. mainly in doha/russia.

idk if anyone actually lives in these places or has vistied so maybe you could give a bit of help if you live there/have visited/have travelled about lgbt people acceptance? or even tips about the areas/what cool things to do? i would probs only sepnd a week max in most places, but 2 weeks in aus and florida. and norway is somewhere i would frequent overnight/3 day trips a lot cuz its just across the road/easiest to get to.

im planning to go to;
    japan,tokyo (theres a layover connection in doha.... so there aswell i guess)
    melb/sydney/brisbane,australia (layover in dubai, or russia. depending what flight i get...)
    budapest,
    noway,moss/oslo (i can speak swedish/norwegian but not fluent if that helps with plans to do things maybe)
    sweden,gothenburg
    denmark
    amsterdam&rotterdam
    florida
    im really tempted to go to india aswell but im really not sure if its safe.

any help/advice/tips would be welcome thanks :slight_smile:
    where is the best place youve travelled to/been, that would be cool to know too :slight_smile:

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    travelling is an excellent idea for a lot of reasons.

but there's no way anyone is going to know, or assume, your sexuality - or for that to be a threat - unless you broadcast it

thats a good itinerary too .. I am envious

have you thought of travelling with someone for company/protection? Plenty of websites offering travel companions

3. kenethtes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    sorry i visited neither of those places.i also love travelling and ,since there r noone there to travel with me i also decided to travel alone.wish u al the best

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Traveling alone has been excellent. The only part that's tricky sometimes is that you may be dining by yourself while those around you aren't. One of the neat things that sometimes happens is that you meet other solo travelers, or even locals, and get together for lunch, dinner, or an excursion and, no, it's not for "those" sorts of reasons. It's just a connection of sorts. This happens to me when traveling but almost NEVER where I live. It did happen to me a few times in a few major U.S. cities. In one place, I was asking a guy for a restaurant suggestion at a late hour, he was fairly new to the city, he said he went there a lot, and he basically invited himself to go with me. I didn't mind. He was a really nice person and we had a great conversation.

Mostly, traveling alone really opens your eyes and can make you so much more self-confident. The only down side I can think of is paying for that travel. Haha.