1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting glasses (and it's effect on my life)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Images and Words, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Images and Words

So, I recently went for my checkup at the opticians, and, joy of joys, i now need glasses. I am very short sighted, and also have a rugby ball shaped eye, meaning the lenses cost A BOMB!
    My main worry is that this will knock my confidence. being the frontman of a band, i'm worried if people are going to accept me wearing glasses. (i think i look even more fuck-ugly with them on, than i do without) I know a lot of these posts I make just seem like a rant, but, i'm worried about my already low confidence taking a knock if people don't like the look i have with glasses.
    If anyone has any advice (or has a similar situation) please help/let me know. Thanks
    (*hug*)

2. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Glasses can be sexy! Just try to pick a frame (within reason from the affordable options if they're going to be expensive anyway) that suits the shape of your face and you should be ok. You can probably google for articles on which frames best compliment face shapes. When fronting your band, try to wear them like you don't care, might take some practice if you have to fake the confidence for a while before you get used to them but you can make them part of your image. Musicians/singers are trend setters, not trend followers.

3. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was born with glaucoma and wore classes for the past 10 years. I was supposed to wear glasses when I was younger but refused to do so. Granted I have a bias since everyone in my family wears glasses but, I don't know anyone that actually looks bad with glasses. Some people might look better with glasses some might look better without but nobody looks bad because of glasses (unless they pick a pair that they wanted that looks bad). I personally prefer glasses as I think they make me look older.

Unless someone is immature, there's no reason someone should make fun of you for wearing glasses. It's just something you need to improve your life. Making fun of someone for wearing glasses is like making fun of a baby for wearing a diaper or an older person because he has to have a wheelchair. If someone makes fun of you because of that, they need to grow up and you should consider getting better friends.

Give them a try for a year or two and if you really don't like them, ask your mom if you can get contact lenses.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There are books with exercises for the eyes.
    You basically do 10 to 15 minutes a day some exercises.

You might look up for what kind of sight impairment it is useful.

Saw a review of an author who was sceptical first but said it really helped.
    The books I looked up had a lot of reviews, a lot of people there said it worked for them.

(*hug*)

#4 jay777, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  5. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Glasses are now the new black! I wear them and i feel sexier now that i wear them. Get them glasses and work with them till you find a pair that looks great on your face

6. Gabby29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Glasses are cute, they add personality and flare. Unless you're in a metal band and you like to head bang then yeah that may be an issue, if not then that's where personality and flare comes to play greatly in your band I've been wearing glasses since I was 8 and I've been in metal bands so I know what that's like; feeling deterred and discouraged since I play guitar, so I practiced a lot trying to play with my eyes closed or looking else where and eventually playing at shows and parties without my glasses wasn't so bad. Don't get wire frames, get some awesome thick ones and you'll be good to go. :slight_smile:

7. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find glasses attractive. I finally got glasses last summer (even though I knew I'd needed them for years). The ability to see better--especially while driving--is well worth it.

Try on a range of different frames if you can and pick the one that you think looks best. Contacts are also an option, if you're willing to put up the cost and okay with putting them in/wearing them.

8. Mickz

I love my glasses, I got them this year and never looked back honestly. Everyone says glasses compliment my face, and the HD eyesight is just an awesomely added bonus. :slight_smile:

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I kind of liked having glasses because people automatically assumed I was a big reader, which was true. :slight_smile: Don't worry, you see even normal-sighted people who wear thick framed glasses because it's fashionable to seem nerdy/hipsterish, but you actually are authentic! :lol:

10. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Like they said, glasses can be attractive. My bi friend has a fetish for people with glasses, actually. (It's annoying because I used to wear glasses, and now that I use contacts he says, "You should go back to glasses, you looked so cute in them." -.-) Fetishes aside, some people are genuinely attracted to people in glasses. I am, if the glasses add to their face in a good way.

11. RadioRoss

glasses can be pretty friggin awesome.. i mean, look at mine :grin:

but seriously, find nice frames that reflect your personality, or, simply find ones that you think look cool. Try out the website warby parker. The frames can be expensive but you get what you pay for. The glasses look great and the frames are usually pretty strong. If you're like me when you play guitar or sing or rock out or whatever, your glasses will slide down your nose xD but no need to fear, you can easily find a way to bend em to be tighter to your face. Like going to an optician or somethin like that.

12. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have Astigmatism, so I wear contacts and glasses.

But if you get a good frame, you can look stylish and sexy af. :thumbsup:

But bottom line is don't sweat it. Nobody is going to judge you for having a vision problem.

13. Images and Words

Oh, man... I just spent the last 10 minutes reading all the advice. Thanks guys, this has really helped. Yeah, astigmatism is what I have. Fortunately, i'm not in a metal band, so headbanging isn't too important.
    So yeah, thanks for that, it really was a confidence boost!
    (*hug*)

14. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agree! Glasses are sexy! Until a year or so ago I used to wear contacts all the time unless I stayed at home. I bought a new frame that I adore, it looks nerdy but also trendy, and now I wear my glasses 24/7. Buy a frame you like and feel comfortable with and you'll see it's not that bad! :slight_smile:

15. ive worn glasses for 20 years. it will take some getting used to but try on as many frames as possible and pick ones that you think suit you. i did that up till the point of last year and spent the whole of the year hating myself cuz i hated my glasses cuz i got the cheapest ones cuz i was tight on cash and didnt wanna get them on my cc. i wear them 24/7 and if you have to i dont think theres any point getting glasses that are the cheapest that you hate, go for ones you like. youll be surprised at what cheaper 'fashionable' nhs glasses there are though :slight_smile: if they are for occasional reading/close up work then thats a diff matter cuz no one will really see you with them on much, but again thats up to you.

if you cant find anything in your local optictians go to another and jut keep looking. also theres a glasses website called glasses direct and you can order glasses to try on at home then you send them your prescription (assuming you have a simple single lens prescription thing, would avoid it like the plague if you need bifocals or something though)

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. One of my friends only needs glasses for reading. But he wears them most of the time because he likes the look they give him :slight_smile: lots of folks like that. So I don't think people will see it as a negative.

2. Zenni optical is da bomb. Complete lenses and frames from $7 ($5 shipping.). Fanciest thing they have is under $60 lenses and frames. Good quality, good customer service, and relatively quick (about 14 days.). Check them out!

17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depending how bad your eyes are, you may not need to wear them except for special occasions (such as reading or seeing a white/chalkboard in class). I know both my parents need glasses (my dad has reading glasses; my mom refuses to get her eyes checked), and they seem to do fine without them usually. My dad can squint to read if he needs or hold the book far away lol. My brothers also need glasses but hardly wear them since their eyes are not too bad. Me, I need glasses/contacts if I want to see more than blurs. Still, if I do not need to see things far away clearly I often don't wear them. That said, a sudden diagnoses of needing glasses doesn't necessarily mean you will need to wear them all the time. If you do things for your band such as going in front of people, you may not even need to wear them... not sure if this is and advice. I don't think your eyes actually get worse from wearing glasses.

Also as others have said you can try contact lenses. I prefer them all the time if they didn't dry my eyes out so much. LASIK is also becoming cheaper and safer. In addition, as many people said, society is beginning to perceive some frames of glasses as sexy. I personally don't find glasses that attractive but a lot more people do now than even 10 years ago, I think. I'm sure you can pull them off just fine, if you have confidence.

It is not the end of the world. :slight_smile: Try to think positive. There is alternative to wearing glasses and even if you do wear them, many people actually like it and certain frames will be easy to pull off.

18. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glasses are pretty cool, dude. I've worn them since I was a kid and I never had any problems. If you're concerned with rugby, contacts might be your better option. Just remember to take care of time, since sometimes they get so comfortable that I forget I'm wearing them unless someone tells me.

19. CyanChachki

Glasses aren't bad and if people make fun of you for them then they're just trying to get under your skin. Don't let them. You can make yourself look really cute and stylish and there's so many frames to choose from.