1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Years Eve

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by burntout, Dec 31, 2014.

1. burntout

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    New Years Eve. What a lot of shit. Tomorrow is just another day, and the only thing that will change is people will suddenly decide to better themselves, and probably fail within the first 31 days. Resolutions are just poor excuses to say you’re trying to better yourself. If people truly wanted to better themselves they would do it now. They would begin the moment they realized it. Not some hyped up day of celebration that honestly means nothing. The chapters in our lives are not divided equally, they certainly aren’t consistently made up of 365 or 366 pages. I will wake up tomorrow and I will know that nothing has changed from the moment I went to sleep except the display on the clock. I’m going to wake up with the exact same war to fight that I had today, the exact same one I’ve been fighting for a long time. I don’t need a resolution to tell me to better myself. I don’t need to start another inner war just for the sake of self-gratification. I am going to wake up tomorrow and fight a small battle to beat the darkness in me and make myself just a little better. Even if I only manage to get out of bed tomorrow, that’s all it takes. One day at a time, and eventually I will beat myself, and I will become something more. Something better.

Keep it up guys and girls. You're doing great.

2. Quiet Raven

I agree. Well, I still think there is something exciting about a new year, but, I don't make new years resolutions. Because like you said, why wait for a new year to do what needs to be done?

3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love celebrating the New Year, but yeah, I don't really like all of the resolution stuff. It bugs me every year.

4. SoonerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    NYE has almost always just been another random day for me

5. Psaurus918

I celebrate New Years like pretty much every holiday, with family or friends. I don't care about resolutions, don't really care about writing lists of what I did/didn't accomplish in the last year, I don't spend time looking back or making false promises for the next year

6. BelleFromHell

I was born on New Year's Day, so it's more of a birthday for me than a holiday. All I do on New Year's Eve is watch the ball drop, and I pig out on sweets the next day.

I agree with you on resolutions. Despite being a "New Year Baby", I hardly ever make resolutions, and when I do, I rarely follow through with them.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Little pro tip, darling:

You don't have to do what everybody else does. But you shouldn't be so down and harsh about it, because you'll only make matters worse. Hell, you'll feel worse. But those last few bits of your post, that tells me, you're doing something -- I commend you for that, good sir. Acknowledging that darkness inside of you is one thing, but to actually call it out, to actually make an effort to contain it... well, that takes major testicular fortitude.

That said, I get what you're saying. New Year's Day isn't really a special day, but you know, some folks do take advantage of that. Many do fail or revert back to old habits, but some -- the ones we hardly ever hear about -- do keep their resolutions.

About 6 years ago, I made a resolution to never, with intentional maliciousness, make anybody cry again. So far, I've kept that. That may not seem like much, or too hard, but trust me, for somebody who used to thrive off the misery of others, and strumming them along like puppets for no other reason than 'because I could' -- that's huge.

About 5 years ago, I made a resolution to never, if I can so much as help it, become anything like my mother or father. I'd had that thought before, but this was when it became official. So far, I've kept that. That seems like something anybody, who had less than stellar parents might say, but I take it a step further. It is because of that nonsense I endured from them, that is a constant source of energy and focus, for me to keep trucking.

About 4 years ago, I made a resolution to not put off working out. So far, I've kept that. Working out more, is one of the most common resolutions, but I'm proof that, not everybody, is all talk when it comes to this.

There was no fancy ceremony for these, I just made a mental note of them. It's easier to remember the 1st of January as opposed to, say, the 14th of April, too.

8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't really care about my new years resolution. I just like to celebrate and welcome a brand new year.

9. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I try every year to make 10 goals for the following year. Not resolutions per se, but ideas on how I want to spend my new year. This year I'm making a goal to put myself out there more. I'm pretty shy and it's often hard for me to extend myself even in platonic situations. I'd like to be more social, but I can't do it sitting around waiting for people to invite me somewhere. :slight_smile: