1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian Laws?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Metal, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Metal

Anyone know if there's any canadian workplace laws about another employee purposely outing you to the whole staff? A new employee who only saw me once knew I was transgender with one look (hiding as male at work, i'm mtf) and decided to spread the word about me during my days off afterwards, the manager told this employee not to do it and was ignored.

The other employee is also transgender (but ftm).

(i've been having trouble sleeping and the thought of quitting my job or getting transfered to another store is always on my mind)

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sorry to hear that you are going through this at the moment. (*hug*) Your new co-worker should not have talked behind your back or on your days off. Given that they are transgender as well, they should be able to place themselves in your shoes or understand from where you are coming from. Have you tried talking with the new co-worker and/or with your manager/supervisor?

Individual provinces set employment laws. In which province do you live?

3. Metal

New Brunswick

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there. You might want to have a look at the New Brunswick Employment Standards website then. However, employment standards acts usually deal with wage requirements, termination of employment, vacation/holiday requirements, sick leave, leave for other reasons, etc... There is also the NB Labour and Employment Board, a tribunal that hears cases from employees and employers.

That said, have you tried speaking with your new co-worker? If so, what was their response?

Have you spoken to your manager about possible new steps or avenues after the new employee ignored the request?

It is possible that before you can pursue anything further with a standard board or tribunal that they'll ask you whether you have exhausted all possible avenues to resolve the situation.