1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if you found out your partner was Asexual and may not want sex?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MouseKeeper, Jan 1, 2015.

1. MouseKeeper

If you were in a romantic relationship with someone of the same sex, and you were hoping to eventually start a sexual relationship with that someone, how would you respond if you found out that they're Asexual and may not be looking for sex? Would you be okay with having a homoromantic, non-sexual relationship with that person?

The reason I ask is because when I would go to spread awareness for Asexuality, I'd see just how many people have a problem with sexless relationships, and I'm curious to see how many people would be willing to settle if their partner came out to them as Asexual.

2. Ryujin

There is very much the aspect of compromise in there.
    For some people sexual compatability is very important and sex is in an important part of the relationship, and so discussion needs to take place to reach a compromise.
    If the asexual person is sex repulsed and really does not want sex whilst the other person requires it, then perhaps the relationship won't work out. In the case that the asexual person does not mind, then perhaps sex could continue, if at least for the benefit of the sexual person.

And just before anyone says anything, I'm fully aware that what I just said was completely unrelated to the question, but I feel it may come up later in discussion, so I thought I should mention it.

For me, sex sounds pleasurable as hell, and I wouldn't mind it in the least, but I could probably live in a sexless relationship quite well.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably wouldn't work out. I want to be with someone who would really enjoy having sex with me. If they wouldn't have sex with me, or didn't enjoy it as much as me, I think I'd be upset.

4. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

No, that's not how I work I'm afraid.

I simply couldn't have a real relationship with any asexual person.
    I am much too sexual a person myself.

Better be open and honest about it, to not raise any hopes.
    No, I could not be with an asexual. Fact.

If they came out to me as asexual I would probably go "And I wondered why we didn't have sex yet!"

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I would be very quite happy with it honestly

I'm looking forward to dating an asexual :'D

6. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Please, go for it, you can have them all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not that I would like it, but I could deal with it. I need an emotional companion, just as much as I need sex, if not more.

8. SomeLeviathan

I'm ace, but not sex repulsed. I would have sex with a partner but it wouldn't be like I'd want to jump into bed every night.

9. emmyee

emmyee Guest

I don't think it would work very well for me. I enjoy sex and would like to have a partner who does too.

10. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like to think that if someone I had been with for a long time for some reason was suddenly unable to perform sexually that I could manage without it. But I would never consider starting a relationship with someone who was not interested in sex. Plus, actually now that I think about it when I think of scenarios where I would end up in a sexless relationship they always involve a long time partner being unable to have sex, never simply losing interest in sex--I think even in a longstanding relationship that might be the bridge too far. No, I'm afraid at the beginning of a relationship that would be one of the ultimate deal breakers for me.

11. anniebunnie

anniebunnie Guest

Ehh, if I loved them I'd probably be able to deal with it.

12. C P

C P

I'd be trying to slap myself to wake up from the dream, honestly, because it would damn sure seem like one; I'd be relieved beyond belief.

I understand how it can be an important/healthy aspect to a relationship but it gets really old having to endlessly listen to the notion that it is the end all, be all to one and that it is important to everybody - *discussion cut off*(as if those of us who would rather not bother with it have some serious mental issue).

This is actually one of the things I dread running into, should I ever even get in a relationship, but the opposite. I feel like I wouldn't be able to satisfy anyone in this regard and they'd be better off without me so I won't be a burden to their needs(also a reason why an open/poly relationship wouldn't ever work).

We're just so invisible(or at least those like myself) that sometimes it seems a situation like this is inevitable...makes you wonder if bothering is even worth it...

13. MouseKeeper

That's why I said "may not" because I didn't want to give the impression that aces weren't willing to compromise. But I could see I kind of screwed that up. Because now that I look back, I wrote:

I made it sound like Asexuality = No sex, but my intention is still the same. 'MAY (expressing possibility) NOT' be looking for sex.

14. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

You assumptions about people who DO like sex tire me, to an ever increasing extent.
    I have no quarrel with you being asexual, or anyone being asexual.
    I am merely being honest and open about not being able to be with an asexual.

But I fucking need sex.
    I fucking love sex. It's a very vital part of MY life and well-being.
    And I need partners who do as well.

You need to STOP insinuating that sex isn't as important as people think it is, and that everyone who loves sex thinks people who don't are daft and have mental issues.

I don't give a rat's arse about how frustrated you are, but I'd appreciate if you'd stop rambling about sex and people who enjoy it so much!

15. MouseKeeper

I actually have a worry of the opposite too. I worry that if I sat down with my girlfriend and clarified that I was sex repulsed and that if we get married, it would be a sexless marriage for life, that she would leave me, and if I were to propose sometime down the line, she'd reject me. It doesn't help that a lot of people around me in my everyday life turn around and say:

"Well, marriage requires sex. If you won't have sex with your partner, that's YOU'RE problem. Dump her and let her find someone who's willing to have sex with her. You just live alone."

So, in addition to being sex repulsed, my self esteem is also in the trash. I'm too terrified to tell my girlfriend what I mean by 'no sex.' Life sucks.

---------- Post added 1st Jan 2015 at 08:09 PM ----------

I don't think C P was trying to say that all people are like that.

#15 MouseKeeper, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  16. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*) I was kinda happy when I saw you joined EC because asexuals seem to be a complete minority. That must be really frustrating to you. >.<

17. kem

kem

Are asexuals generally repulsed by sex or is it an activity that might be thought of something they aren't exactly interested in but don't mind? Now that I think about it, I assume it varies per person but I've thought it was the prior.

In either case, it wouldn't be an issue for me as long as we could still be intimate in other ways. It would be nice if he could meet me halfway every now and then, though. Sure, I'm not a very sexual person, but I am, undeniably, still sexual.

#17 kem, Jan 1, 2015
  18. Lipstick Leuger

If I loved that person, I would talk with them and see where we could compromise. I have a very high sex drive and sex is a big need for me. It would not matter if I masturbated and she watched and touched me in key spots, or if she always gave and I received, or we chose to bring in another person to our relationship for just sexual purposes, but something would have to be worked out for me to have my emotional and physical needs met. Of course I would want her needs met also, and if we could not happily do this for both of us, it would not work out. It would tear my heart out to let her go, but it would be hell for both of us trying to make something work that was doomed to fail. That is why I think it is important to talk about your needs before your relationship gets to far going, because it's better to just remain friends than hurt each other.

If something happened now after being together for 11 years like I have been with my wife, I would want to know what and how to fix it. If it could not be fixed, then I would not throw away a 11 year relationship unless there was no intimacy involved at all. Not kisses or hugs or cuddling, etc. So I guess it would really depend on the reasons for being asexual, and when did I find out about it. Lots of variables.

#18 Lipstick Leuger, Jan 1, 2015
  19. MouseKeeper

Actually, it's not always repulsion. The basic definition is someone who is without sexual attraction, and you don't have to be sex repulsed to be Asexual. I am personally, but not all aces are repulsed. Some are indifferent, some are repulsed, some are Antisexual (but sexuals can still be Antisexual), some can even be afraid of sex. It's a huge diversity in the Asexual community.

#19 MouseKeeper, Jan 1, 2015
  20. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Considering that I seem to be gray ace myself, I wouldn't mind it at all.

Wouldn't mind having sex once every blue moon though.

It varies from person to person.