1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think about online relationships?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Purplecat, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Purplecat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there is no problem but how can It be enjoyable without hugging, kissing and cuddling.? :dry:

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Waste of time to me unless the people involved intend on meeting in real life.

3. Jared

My thoughts exactly

4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

what is real life to you guys? The internet and the people you'll meet on it are as real as anything else you'll see in your life.

And an online relationship can either work beautifully or be a complete disaster just as an in person relationship can.

5. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Online relationships are possible. But you must be comfortable with the lack of physical intimacy.

6. Bolin

I completely agree with this. My ex and I had an online relationship that ended before we had a chance to meet up. That was almost two years ago, and we're still really close friends today (and I think our friendship now is much stronger than our romantic relationship ever was). Contrast that with a few of the guys and girls he's dated "in real life" that caused serious problems for him when those relationships ended. I understand the online relationships aren't going to be for everyone, and a lot of them do end because of the lack of being physically present in each others' lives, but the risk of an in-person relationship ending is just as likely to fail as an online relationship.

7. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just think relationships are relationships.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uh, face to face interaction, not including Skype of FaceTime. I don't find endless chatting on the internet to be the same as actual human companionship, with actual touch and actual words.

Each to their own, though.

9. Yosia

I think online relationships can work just as well, if not better than physical ones. ^.^

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

There is something to be said for having physical contact with another person, especially when its intimate. I just dont understand people who put so much emphasis on face to face interaction at all. 95% of people that have met me face to face dont know anything about me, whereas traditionally, the relationships I've made on the internet have always been the ones I consider as 'real'

11. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    The best relationship I ever had was online... then I met him in real life and discovered how much of an a-hole he was. But it's very difficult to find somebody willing to have a "serious" relationship when everybody online only wants to f- u

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's how I met my fiance. It was a bit emotional sometimes with the distance, since we only had calls/texting/Skype at the time. But nothing was more satisfying than seeing each other face to face in person a few months later (after us first talking four years ago and losing contact for a while). The wait was so worth it.

I think if you love someone enough, the distance has no power over you.

13. LiquidSwords

It's a simulation of a real one, imo

14. Gabby29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It only works if both people can make it work, plain and simple.

---------- Post added 2nd Jan 2015 at 12:47 PM ----------

.... but as far as kissing, cuddling, and hugging. If they have each others phone numbers just have phone sex. -thumbs up-

15. CyanChachki

I want to say that they're good, but they're not. You spend 3 hours online with one another, only to go to bed at night and think of what they might be like in person. I felt like every time I met up with the ones I've started dating, they've always lied about at least one thing and lying that early in a relationship is a recipe for disaster. I gave up on it a long time ago.

16. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have some amazing online friendships, many of which are thanks to EC. I've also been able to maintain friendships with people I haven't seen IRL in a long time thanks to online communication.

As for relationships, though, it's different. I want someone to cuddle with at night, go to sporting events and dinner and parties with, and to fuck. You can't have that with an online relationship. You can crush on someone online all you want (and I have) but I'd have a really hard time being in a committed relationship with someone that was purely online, unless there was some sort of guarantee that we'd be able to take it offline.

17. sulfuricbananna

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally, online relationships almost never work out. Usually at least one of them is a catfish, and when they aren't, there's boatloads of lies about the aspects about their life. For me, it's a really bad idea.