1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martial arts?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by black-cat, Jan 2, 2015.

1. black-cat

Muay Thai, BJJ, Kick Boxing, Wing Chun, TKD, Krav Maga, whatever it is, who else on here does some sort of martial art?

I have been doing Krav Maga for a few months now and it is the best choice I have made,I'm also interested in starting Muay Thai. :slight_smile:

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't, but when I was younger my mom reallllly wanted me to do one. Someday I might give one a go :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really wanted to do Aikido because I thought it was a beautiful art, but the closest dojo is three hours away. Well, we do have one in my town, but it's only for Taekwondo. Wing Chun was another I was interested in.

4. Ryujin

I'm interested in starting taekwondo if possible, but there are certain... complications...

5. black-cat

Haha my mother wanted me to do it when I was little too, you really should give it a go sometime!

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2015 at 06:23 PM ----------

Yeah unfortunately Aikido is fairly rare compared to Kung Fu or something. Wing Chun looks fabulous :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2015 at 06:25 PM ----------

Taekwondo looks really good, it would be super for fitness and your confidence. Eh, I'm sure the complications could be worked out! I'm here if you you ever want to talk about it.

6. Ryujin

Confidence happens to be the primary issue as it is, so, can't do much to improve it until it is improved enough to allow this improvement to take place.

7. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Escrima, Jiu-Jitsu and Historical Martial Arts.

8. mrs chloe

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i did Taekwondo for a yeah but they moved building and i couldn't get to it

9. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I don't practice anymore, but I hold a first degree black belt in American Kenpo.

10. Hel

Hel

I did a bit of Taekwondo, Karate, Judo and Aikido growing up. That's why I know the first rule of real fights: run away if you can.

11. bi2me

My son does TKD. He really likes it. I'm hoping to start doing it with him when my youngest is old enough to either join us or sit while we are doing it.

12. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

The first rule of real fights is "survive".
    That isn't always running away.

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a shodan (black belt) in Shotokan style karate.

My kata has gotten rusty but my muscle memory is still built in. I know how to handle myself. Very handy as a trans person.

14. BloodFlame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OH sure, I've always been interested in martial arts from an early age. But honestly, it mostly came from playing fighting games when I was a kid. I'm sure you probably heard of the game called Tekken. Well, I remember being hooked on the 3rd game when I was a kid and would always try to imitate what the fighters did.

The first class I took was Karate but I only took it for a year. Then when I was 17, I took "Snake Kickboxing", It's really just kickboxing (don't know where the "snake" came from). I took that for a year as well but I stopped when I started going to college.

Currently, I don't take any lessons but I do practice the things I learned from Kickboxing. I have interest in learning TaeKwonDo because I've always been more of a kicker than a puncher and since TKD emphasizes kick, I think it's the perfect style for me, plus, I'm quite a high kicker lol.

It's cool to see there are others who like or have interest in this kind of sport.

And I feel you on Aikido. It looks like a really graceful style and I would love to learn that but there are no classes at all in my city unfortunately. :/

15. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Krav Maga and Muay Thai...Those are definitely brutal. I have done kickboxing and (broke my wrist) lol, but I want to get back to it. Those forms are useful in in any real-world scenario. Good choice!

16. black-cat

I think it depends on what your art is, different ones has different priorities.

In Krav I have also been taught to avoid and run away, if I have to fight, I've already failed, it's simply making the most of the situation and then the goal is to disable the villa with the fewest moves, in the quickest time, so I can run away.

---------- Post added 5th Jan 2015 at 07:21 PM ----------

Haha, brutal is a good word. : P

Ahh, that sounds terribly painful. Didn't keep your wrist straight by any chance? You should get back into it!

---------- Post added 5th Jan 2015 at 07:22 PM ----------

Yeah, it's horrible that it is handy, but it is certainly an aid!

---------- Post added 5th Jan 2015 at 07:25 PM ----------

Mmm unfortunately confidence does take a while before it decides to cooperate, I know that feeling. *hugs!

17. Sam I Am

Did krav maga and ju jitsu. Turns out that the krav maga had very limited usefulness for self-defense situations - there aren't a lot of times you need to rip someone's eyeballs out of their skull or break their arm in three places. But in ju jitsu, we learned about how to escape when someone grabs you, how to resist being pushed over, and other skills that seem to come up all the damn time.

Want to feel empowered? Take krav maga. Want to learn to deal with handsy drunk guys in bars? Take ju jitsu.