1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incarceration vs Rehabilitation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This should be fun...

Is it more important to focus on incarcerating individuals, or is it more important to focus on rehabilitating individuals? Are there some people who, more or less, will never be reachable through rehabilitation and should just be locked up? Are there some crimes that, more or less, can never be rehabilitated?

I've noticed most people stress rehabilitation, at least around here... until you mention a particular crime or two, and suddenly they want to behead an individual!

For a bonus question: would you say jails/prisons, in general, are up to standard? If not, what could be done to better improve them?

For non-U.S. citizens: what do you think of the United States having the largest inmate population in the world? Is this a sign of successfully deterring crime, or is it reflective of a system that wastes resources in the wrong area?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prison does not work. There, I've said it, in total contradiction of the UK Justice Secretary.

I have two major issues with imprisonment Kaiser.

1. It is largely ineffective unless the offender can be properly engaged in a program of rehabilitation. Failure to rehabilitate and resettle offenders leads to recidivism and a worsening pattern of criminality. In many respects, prisons are nothing but 'schools of crime' where offenders learn more from each other than they do from the system.

2. Many offenders have acute mental health problems (often undiagnosed) and issues with drug dependency. It is these two issues, often in combination that fuel criminal activity. I simply cannot accept that incarceration helps to address these problems at all. Indeed, it can lead to a marked deterioration in outlook and bring on feelings of despair. Suicide and self harming rates are higher in the prison estate than in the general population and it's really no coincidence. Effective treatment of mental health and drug problems cannot take place within the prison environment, but these problems must be addressed if we're serious about tackling the root causes of crime.

So, to answer your bonus questions Kaiser... prisons are not up to standard and they never will be for people who are ill or dependent on drugs or other substances. We can't address medical issues by locking people up.

It's a disgrace that the US justice system has so many people 'rotting' behind bars. It demonstrates a contemptible lack of regard for both the offender and wider society.

I'll get off my soapbox now!

Edit: I should add that the British justice system fails just as much as the US justice system. It's a sad reflection on both countries that they cannot use their considerable resources to deliver better outcomes.

#2 PatrickUK, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I think there are some people, who no matter if they claim to be "rehabilitated" or not, they are dangerous and should not be released back into the world. Serial killers, and child molesters for instance.

I think jails and prisons provide too much freedom and entertainment.

The fact that America's jails are so packed, just shows you how much criminals there is in this unpeaceful country.