1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 Questions on ... ADOPTION

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IwillBeStrong, Jan 3, 2015.

1. IwillBeStrong

What are your views on the following questions on adoption?

1. Would you ever adopt a child?
    I probably would but I am not sure yet.
    2. What qualities do you think make a couple or a person qualified to adopt a child?
    I feel like they should have the financial means to raise that child and be loveable and caring.
    3. Do you think people should be able to decide what type of children they want to adopt? For example: boy or girl, hair color, age, etc.
    Hmm. I feel like ... yes. Although on the other hand if you were having it by your own you wouldn't really know all those factors either.
    4. How is adoption viewed in your country?
    I dont think homosexual people are allowed to adopt over here.
    5. What do you think about couples that adopt children from different countries?
    We live in a global world, I think thats okay then.

2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. I'd love to! ^.^
    2. They should have the money to pay for the child's needs, and have warm and caring personalities.
    3. Sure.
    4. Mostly good.
    5. I think it's pretty cool that they do that. ^^

3. Maeve

It's something I really want to do. I think I'd prefer to adopt out of the foster care system.
    2. What qualities do you think make a couple or a person qualified to adopt a child?
    Obviously, they need to financially able to to care for the child. I also think it's important that they go to parenting classes. Adopted children, especially those who were adopted when they were older, often have psychological and behavioral issues that need to be addressed.
    3. Do you think people should be able to decide what type of children they want to adopt? For example: boy or girl, hair color, age, etc.
    Some people want a child that "matches" their family. Me? I don't get it. Black, white, Asian, purple people eater--it's all the same to me. I do think it's important to understand their cultural background and support it.
    I think it's pretty common, especially infant/toddler adoption.
    5. What do you think about couples that adopt children from different countries?
    I think it's great, especially when the kids have special needs. There often aren't resources to help them in the country of origin. However, I think it's important to go through a reputable adoption agency.

4. Hel

Hel

Yes, with the right person I would adopt a child (but I would never give birth to one, at least that's my opinion for now).
    Wanting the child would be the first quality. And being able to raise it (emotionally and financially).
    Yes. Couple that give birth to a child kind of know what their kid is going to look like.
    Not allowed for gay couples and very difficult for single people.
    Seems normal and logical.

5. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

1. Absolutely. I have already decided that I will not be having biological children of my own for genetic reasons, and I've always wanted to adopt.
    2. Definitely financial stability. Pretty much the same as you said, loving, caring, etc.
    3. I think hair color and little things like that are bit much, but I do think people should have a say in boy/girl, age, handicaps.
    4. Most of my country is cool with same-sex adoption, so depending on who I marry that could be good news for me.
    5. I think it's cool. Personally, I would want to adopt a child from my own country simply based on the fact that so many children in my country don't have homes or families.

6. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Perhaps, I'm not sure.

That they are able to raise a child in a loving manner, and are able to be open about the adoption do not feel threatened should the child wish to search for his or her birth parents.

They should not be able to choose things like hair colour and eye colour. However, it is probably important that they are able to choose the age (if eg. from foster care) and, if known, whether or not to have a child with special needs of some sort or not. I am very torn on this as part of me doesn't think that it's right, but then it's best if a child with disabilities (for instance) is adopted by someone able to deal with them and who can help them fulfil their potential with them.

Adoption by gay people is allowed. Most adoption is from foster care and of older children.

I think that as long as they are aware of many of the issues that some (not all) transracial adoptees face, it is OK. If they have a 'saviour mentality' or want to 'adopt one for Jesus' that is not OK!

7. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, especially if my partner were unable to give birth.
    If the would-be parents are emotionally and financially capable of raising a child.
    Of course! That would be silly if there was just a metaphorical hat to pull children's names out of.
    Adoption varies by province in Canada, but in Ontario you are able to adopt as single, gay, etc.
    I feel that they must be good people, and I wouldn't mind to adopt a child that is from another country.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Perhaps. For me, the problem isn't whether the child would be adopted or biologically mine. My problem is whether I'd want children at all.

Parenting is a very complex thing. The only things that can really be gauged by an adoption agency are the adopting parent's or parents' history with financial stability, domestic abuse and general problems that can be investigated. Parenting style and love aren't quite so measurable, despite their extreme importance.

Both yes and no. I believe people should be able to choose whom they adopt, but I wouldn't like it to be a case of writing down a list of physical attributes to be treated as criteria. There is something of a problem with this kind of selection. Children generally deemed to be less valuable (in societies with racial and/or gender biases, which are just about all societies) and ugly children will not be as likely to be adopted. Mentally and physically disabled children are horribly disadvantaged by such free choice, and a disproportionate number of them are given up for adoption for the same reason they're not going to be adopted.

Many people, particularly older people, find adoption to be less real than biological parenthood. Quite a lot of people don't believe same-sex couples or singles can raise children as well. It could be better, but it's among the better countries for it, I think. Younger people tend not to delegitimise families by adoption as many older people do, so I think it'll be quite good by the time I'm old enough to adopt.

Kind-heartedness does not change several really problematic aspects of international adoption. When there is a shortage of domestic orphans, I absolutely support it. But as adoption is as commercial as any other service provider, attributing a market value to children can be extremely damaging. The craze in the richer world for, say, Subsaharan African orphans for adoption has caused some parents to sell children off for a better life despite still having family. There are even kidnappings to feed the market for those children.

International Adoptions – Havocscope - This link shows some information about why I find it not quite so innocent, regardless of the intentions of the adopting couple. Note that international adoption doesn't fall nearly to the extreme levels of sex trafficking, but they sometimes intersect in organisation and it's still traumatic for many. Yet well-off families in China or the US who adopt children may never see the process that allowed that individual child to become theirs.

A USD 1.3 billion market in children is something prone to corruption and illicit activities. The demand for foreign children, notably poor children, merely feeds the black market for children to meet that demand at relatively high market prices.

#8 Aussie792, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  9. KingJude

Definitely. I'd like two boys I think.
    I feel the relationship should have been going on for at least... two years, maybe? They should have the financial means to look after the children, and most of all, they should be loving.
    Yes.
    Basically anyone, straight, gay etc. can adopt here.

I don't see any issues with this...

10. Lyana

1. Maybe. If I want kids in the future, I will definitely consider adoption. However, it's so hard (here at least) and long that it's kind of discouraging.

2. The person needs to be financially stable, be loving, and have some time to devote to the child. Other than that, I'm not really qualified to say what makes a good parent, and I don't think it's possible to know before that person becomes a parent.

3. Special needs and age, yes, simply because adopting a child at 2 months or 12 years old will be different experiences. And disabled children deserve to have parents who are willing and able to take care of them. Hair color, no. I'd also say no for boy/girl, though I don't feel very strongly about it.

4. It's a really, really hard process. But both straight and gay couples are legally allowed to adopt, as well as single people. I've met very few people who were adopted.

5. I completely understand because the general view (true or false) is that there are very few adoptable children in my country. Also, I believe children could do a lot worse than grow up here.

11. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people

I want to so bad
    You should be capable of financially and emotionally supporting the child.
    Yes for the bigger qualities: age, sex, nationality.
    Depends on the state. In MA, gay couples can adopt.
    As long as it's done out of love and not a desire to seem charitable, I think it's wonderful.

12. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I would like to but I want to have biological children too
    I would just say a loving family who spends time together and has time and money to take care of an afford a child.
    3. Do you think people should be able to decide what type of children they want to adopt?
    Yes I believe people should be able to decide what factors their future child has if they are wanting to adopt
    I'm not really sure to be honest I don't know anyone who has adopted a child
    I think that's fine. I would love to adopt from an Asian country...unfortunately they don't let gay people adopt :frowning2: