1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defending Sexuality - Fallacies that are made when protesting LGBT Rights?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MouseKeeper, Jan 3, 2015.

1. MouseKeeper

Hey guys. For my New Years Resolution, I'm trying to learn about fallacies so I can make my arguments about things like Asexuality and the LGBT community more sound. I've decided I'm going full on activist.

*I know of three so far*

Poisoning the Well:
    "Ian is Asexual, so don't listen to him when he talks about Human Sexuality" is a Poisoning the Well fallacy because we're implying that because I have never felt Sexual Attraction, I must not know much about human sexuality, or what it feels like to be sexually attracted to someone.

No True Scotsman:
    "Ian supports LGBT rights and therefore he is not a true Christian" is a No True Scotsman argument because we're saying that the bible condemns Homosexuality, so therefore because I'm going against the bible, I'm not a true christian.

Straw Man:
    "Ian supports Pedophilia" is a Straw Man argument because anti-gay activists are taking my pro LGBT views and twisting it to mean, "Well I support Homosexuality. Why not support pedophilia as well?"

So, those are some I remember. What are some others you know of that are constantly thrown around?

2. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I hate to be that person, but what do asexuals know about how it feels being sexually attracted to someone?...

Books and theoretical information can only go so far.
    I believe to understand some things, you must have experienced them yourself.

3. MouseKeeper

Sexuality is fluid. Some Asexuals MIGHT know what it feels to be sexually attracted to someone because they've felt it before. But they identify as Asexual in the here and now because it doesn't happen to them anymore. Over time, they started feeling it less, then eventually stopped feeling it altogether.

I personally never really knew what it feels like, but based on what other people say they've felt, I know enough to realize I don't experience it.

#3 MouseKeeper, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  4. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

So you're not at all qualified to talk about sexual attraction and sex itself, at least not to my eyes... I'm sorry.

I would strongly suggest you change that first "fallacy" into something along the lines of "Asexuals might not understand/know about sexual ATTRACTION, but they certainly understand orientation, as they HAVE romantic feelings for the gender(s) specific to their orientation.

5. MouseKeeper

Whatever. I made this post to get info on fallacies against the LGBT community so I can fight those when I see them in real life. I did not make this post to argue about me being "qualified" to talk about sexual attraction.

Getting back on topic...

6. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

You don't get it.
    I'm trying to help you improve and clarify what you can use as ammunition against bigots.

Going by what you said, asexuals aren't qualified to talk about sexual attraction and sex, so it shouldn't be part of your argument. If they rant about asexuality, you should focus on making it clear that you understand romantic attraction and orientation just fine.

This is very much on topic.
    We should all work together to better prepare our arguments for discussions with bigots for those who actively fight them. I often do it in a very direct and at times even physical manner myself.