1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama's use of executive actions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Jan 4, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was wondering what people think of Obama's use of executive orders. Is he overstepping his powers or just simply doing what every other president has done. I believe that he is right to issue executive actions like any other president and he has issued less actions than bush or clinton as of yet.

2. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I don't care. Just leave me alone with 'Murican topics already.

[​IMG]

3. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

The only thing I find strange about Obama is the amount of right-wing racist idiots who openly mock, threaten and demean the President of The United States.. and mostly because he isn't a white guy...

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know enough about politics but it seems like he is doing what every president has been doing.

5. GaspingJasper

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not really interested in politics as they're really exaggerated.

6. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Obama has actually made less execute actions than many of the past presidents. Even some of the Republican presidents have made execute actions on controversial topics such as immigration.

Btw, it's really the other way Obama can get anything done anymore. With the House and Senate to the Republicans, there's no way Obama can pass the laws he needs to.

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree with this. One can hope things can get done but it almost never happens. The last election was a disaster and i think a lot of people sat the last election out causing a republican wave. I am not kidding I watched the results and could see a lack of interest in voting and that causes bad things to happen. Crazy people get elected that way.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only way he'll get anything done the next two years is by executive orders, and the American people are liking that he's not becoming a lame duck for the last two years. His popularity went up 9 percentage points last month from 39 to 48 percent favorable (if only he had that support during the midterms). The American people support his use of executive orders, and it's perfectly constitutional as he is not signing into law anything that has to go through Congress first.

9. SomeLeviathan

Omg tyranny monarchical absolutism obama is a secret hobbesian muslim cryptomaoist totalitarian nazi!!!1!!!!1!!!111!!!1!

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For one, he's not actually changing laws by executive action. What he's doing, say with the deadlines for signing up through the health insurance exchanges, is ordering the Department of Health and Human Services to continue accepting applications.

Another recent issue that the children on the right have been screaming about is the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) scheme that President Obama and the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services created via executive order. He didn't unilaterally change any law, he simply ordered USCIS to create a program where people who were brought here illegally as children and have followed the law are eligible to receive a two-year work permit and potentially earn permanent residency and citizenship eventually.

If only people would actually learn about how their government works instead of just listening to talking heads on TV...

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly!

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's highly amusing and frustrating when in a serious mood that there are millions of people complaining that it's evil of him to use the powers every president in the US has access to.

Criticise the substance, sure, but it's ridiculous to specifically focus on the generally-used method as if Obama is the first to use them or, more sinisterly, that there's a specific other reason that makes it not his rightful prerogative.

13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is what is mind boggling. The republicans want to make everything Obama does a outrageous thing that never happened before when every president has done what Obama is doing which is not unconstitutional for Obama to do.

14. Psaurus918

Is it just me or have people been acting way more hostile towards Obama then any other president? My aunt constantly "shares" conservative and tea party pictures and memes daily on Facebook and some of the stuff is so beyond stupid I'm ashamed to even call her family.

The other day she posted a picture saying Obama is a muslim because he stood in front of some weird looking curtains during one of his speeches. But yet if she spent 5 minutes looking into it she'd know that those curtains were there during Bush' term. Then she constantly posts stuff mocking Michelle's outfits or the daughters outfits like wtf?

15. SomeLeviathan

everyone knows that Obama is the first president to use executive orders to modify healthcare laws!!111!11!11!!!!!11!

16. ReyJ

I don't think anyone can logically say what he's done is illegal, and personally I think he's perfectly justified to implement some of what he has a popular mandate to implement if Congress don't want to play ball.

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think he did the right thing using those executive actions that is the laziest congress ever in history.